Feeding two adults without breaking the bank.

Hi there.

I am on Day 1 with my boyfriend. And I was feeling really confident about all the prepping and meal planning I have done for our Whole30. 

But he just texted me on his break and said that the food I prepped isn't hardly enough to satisfy his hunger. 

And we spent quite a bit on groceries but I don't think it's even going to last us until the end of the week. 

To give an idea of what i prepped:

Breakfast was a piece of an egg bake packed with veggies. And homemade turkey apple sausages.

Lunch was two small baked potatoes with a "sloppy joe" ground beef mixture on top. 

Snacks were a jerky stick, chia seed pudding and a Lara bar.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to make meals that are affordable yet satisfying for a 26 year old guy? 

I'm feeling overwhelmed at how to keep us both fed.

• Administrators

So the thing with portioning meals for ourselves and others is that we have to take THEIR metrics into consideration. If he's having an egg based breakfast, the number of eggs included in the dish should be equal to at least as many as he can hold in his hand without dropping. For most men that'll start at 4-5. If it is NOT an egg-based meal, the protein for a meal is meant to be 1-2 palms worth (that's the length, width and thickness of HIS palm for him).  Since you have a combo of eggs and other protein, I would go with at least 3 eggs + a palm worth of the sausage. And add fat to this meal.

The lunch should include around 3 cups of non-starchy cooked vegetables and a fat source. The protein, again, needs to be at least 1-2 palms worth. Add fat to this meal.

Understanding he isn't getting enough at meals, snacks are understood but when you or he are eating between meals, prioritize protein and fat. Leave off the larabars for actual starvation emergencies. Chia seed pudding is not permitted. Suitable between meal eating would be something like hardboiled eggs w/ homemade mayo or a couple chicken thighs with guacamole or a few meatballs with olives. Protein + fat.

Fat is where he's going to get more bang for the buck for satiety, protein is your longer-lasting fullness and vegetables bring the bulk. Get those meals more aligned to the template and using HIS palm for measurement as well as the recommended fat amounts and he'll do better.

7 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

So the thing with portioning meals for ourselves and others is that we have to take THEIR metrics into consideration. If he's having an egg based breakfast, the number of eggs included in the dish should be equal to at least as many as he can hold in his hand without dropping. For most men that'll start at 4-5. If it is NOT an egg-based meal, the protein for a meal is meant to be 1-2 palms worth (that's the length, width and thickness of HIS palm for him).  Since you have a combo of eggs and other protein, I would go with at least 3 eggs + a palm worth of the sausage. And add fat to this meal.

The lunch should include around 3 cups of non-starchy cooked vegetables and a fat source. The protein, again, needs to be at least 1-2 palms worth. Add fat to this meal.

Understanding he isn't getting enough at meals, snacks are understood but when you or he are eating between meals, prioritize protein and fat. Leave off the larabars for actual starvation emergencies. Chia seed pudding is not permitted. Suitable between meal eating would be something like hardboiled eggs w/ homemade mayo or a couple chicken thighs with guacamole or a few meatballs with olives. Protein + fat.

Fat is where he's going to get more bang for the buck for satiety, protein is your longer-lasting fullness and vegetables bring the bulk. Get those meals more aligned to the template and using HIS palm for measurement as well as the recommended fat amounts and he'll do better.

Oof! I can't believe I forgot about taking his metrics into account. I was in just a daze of meal prepping, I just portioned everything equally. 

I will definitely do this! 

Thank you for such a helpful and detailed response. :)

Archived