Starting March 12th, 2018. Looking for buddies!

hellohollye

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
2 minutes ago, Yael Eshel said:

I also understood from the book that I will receive daily emails w/tips. suggestions & inspiration.  Haven't received any...

Yaya

I assume you're referring to what was an optional buy-in email program called Whole30 Daily? This is defunct now and is replaced with the book Whole30 Day by Day.

Did you enter your email address somewhere and expected to get emails? If so, where?

Happy Pie Day!

Day 3 is going great.  Hubby made an awesome Whole 30 Quiche for work and it was gone before Lunch! :D  Everyone loved that it was gluten free and tasted so good.

What's not to love?

I'm concerned this is just too easy. I'm Day 9 Sugar-Free and feeling so much better.  Aside from the diet soda, there isn't anything I miss.  I doubt I'm going to see any weight loss with this program though.  I feel like all I'm doing is cooking and eating LOL!  I'm no longer hungry ALL the time and it's just 3 days. Maybe I'll get sick of all the rich food by the end of the week.

Day 2 for me today - I was going to start on Monday, then the sugar dragon at work got the best of me. And a co-worker had specifically bought and brought me cake from Nothing Bundt Cakes ... I couldn't pass them up, he was so excited to give them to me! He now knows I'm starting, end of story, no more treats for me! lol

I work 12-13 hour night shifts, so I'm never sure what to do days after I work. Like today. Worked last night, then went to bed when I got home. Was sleeping/resting until about 7 pm. Made "dinner" and now it's almost time for me to go back to bed, so I really only ate 1 meal today. I also don't know what to say about my energy level today, because I'm tired anyway from working all night! It's going to be a challenge to balance the night shifts - but I'm determined, and even though I ate only one meal today, at least it was compliant!! 

Chicken breast, sugar snap peas, sweet potato spaghetti, and dump ranch. And some freeze dried pineapples to top it off. 

Tomorrow is my first full day without adding my night shifts in - so it will be interesting!! And I'm doing my grocery shopping and prep tomorrow for the weekend/beginning of next week. 

Hope everyone has a great day 2/3/4  tomorrow!!

• Administrators
9 hours ago, sjlogghe said:

I work 12-13 hour night shifts, so I'm never sure what to do days after I work. Like today. Worked last night, then went to bed when I got home. Was sleeping/resting until about 7 pm. Made "dinner" and now it's almost time for me to go back to bed, so I really only ate 1 meal today. I also don't know what to say about my energy level today, because I'm tired anyway from working all night! It's going to be a challenge to balance the night shifts - but I'm determined, and even though I ate only one meal today, at least it was compliant!! 

Nom nom paleo, friend of Whole30, wrote an article about how to coordinate night work on a schedule that lets you eat and sleep! 

https://nomnompaleo.com/post/55156756199/surviving-the-night-shift

Day 2 in the books!! Last time around I remember the novelty of the program pushed me through the first couple of days, but boy oh boy the ONLY thing I could think of today was chocolate! I am still excited about this program, but since I know what to expect I can see it's going to be challenging early on. 

Today I ate scrambled eggs with spinach using coconut oil in the morning and for lunch had a rainbow salad of spinach, red peppers, cucumbers, alfalfa sprouts, chicken, and olive oil drizzle! Some NSV my face is ALREADY starting to clear up!! Last time it took forever for my skin to clear up especially because I suffer from cystic acne, but too much sugar is what causes the breakouts so I'm limiting my fruit intake to the 2-3 servings recommended. It really makes a difference.  

Good job to everyone out their holding strong through the early days. This is the farthest I've made it on the Whole30 and I love it! I love the food we are able to eat and completely happy to drop out all the garbage I've been eating. I run a lot, so I eat a lot and my weight maintains pretty well. I know I've been fueling myself incorrectly though. Late night sugar binges every night. Burgers and fries and pizza and sauces whenever wherever all willy nilly.

Day 4 and 5 I had some panic/anxiety issues. I had one while on my 10 mile run day 4 and one when I showed up to work day 5. I've had them in the past and haven't had them since I quit smoking and drinking 2 1/2 years ago! It's a mixed bag. It may be old emotions surfacing without my old sugar crutches to cover things up. I may be worrying I'm not getting enough carbs. I should be doing fine or it might just be a bit of everything all happening at once. I've been on vacation, with work starting up again after a remodel (wishing I had a different career and being hard on myself), dating someone new, Whole30, trying to fix some physical and psychological issues (more balance in life), death in the family, stressing about getting back into school. I guess I've been facing a lot of things (in a healthy way), but it can still be overwhelming.

Anyways, thought I'd mention that if anyone has some words of wisdom out there. I hope I can just pass through this and conquer it and think I need to just calm down and take things one day at a time. I feel I've been eating better than ever and way more well balanced, but I'm gonna make sure I'm getting enough carbs via sweet/potatoes, berries, bananas (interested in plantains too!), root veggies, beets, fruit. I think I'll start using myfitnesspal app for a few days to balance.

Sorry for the rant. It's been good and about as tough as I thought. Never thought it would be tough on me, but I think I have some really deep rooted issues with junk food since I quit the alcohol and nicotine. It's taken me a while to address things. NOT GIVING UP THIS TIME!

ADAM

1 hour ago, AdamzW30 said:

Good job to everyone out their holding strong through the early days. This is the farthest I've made it on the Whole30 and I love it! I love the food we are able to eat and completely happy to drop out all the garbage I've been eating. I run a lot, so I eat a lot and my weight maintains pretty well. I know I've been fueling myself incorrectly though. Late night sugar binges every night. Burgers and fries and pizza and sauces whenever wherever all willy nilly.

Day 4 and 5 I had some panic/anxiety issues. I had one while on my 10 mile run day 4 and one when I showed up to work day 5. I've had them in the past and haven't had them since I quit smoking and drinking 2 1/2 years ago! It's a mixed bag. It may be old emotions surfacing without my old sugar crutches to cover things up. I may be worrying I'm not getting enough carbs. I should be doing fine or it might just be a bit of everything all happening at once. I've been on vacation, with work starting up again after a remodel (wishing I had a different career and being hard on myself), dating someone new, Whole30, trying to fix some physical and psychological issues (more balance in life), death in the family, stressing about getting back into school. I guess I've been facing a lot of things (in a healthy way), but it can still be overwhelming.

Anyways, thought I'd mention that if anyone has some words of wisdom out there. I hope I can just pass through this and conquer it and think I need to just calm down and take things one day at a time. I feel I've been eating better than ever and way more well balanced, but I'm gonna make sure I'm getting enough carbs via sweet/potatoes, berries, bananas (interested in plantains too!), root veggies, beets, fruit. I think I'll start using myfitnesspal app for a few days to balance.

Sorry for the rant. It's been good and about as tough as I thought. Never thought it would be tough on me, but I think I have some really deep rooted issues with junk food since I quit the alcohol and nicotine. It's taken me a while to address things. NOT GIVING UP THIS TIME!

ADAM

Great job Adam!! One day at a time is the best way to get through it! This is my first whole30 and I'm on day 4 now. I've been impressed by your long runs during the first few days of the challenge...I felt very lightheaded working out on Day 2 but it's better now. Good luck!

7 hours ago, AdamzW30 said:

ADAM

Wow!!! Congrats on getting this far!!! A day in the books is a day of challenges YOU were able to conquer! 

In terms of maybe not getting enough carbs in, my favorite thing to eat when I did my first Whole30 was sweet potatoes or regular potatoes!! I did a mix and match some days. It was the necessary fuel I needed for the day and gave me energy. Since you are running/exercising/being active maybe that will help get the carbs you need in!

Oh dear, no comments through the weekend, I hope that means it's all smooth sailing and no one got distracted by weekend food!

We're doing pretty good at my house with the program.  I was pretty much in the kitchen all weekend cooking/cutting/prepping for this week.  Hopefully it won't be as challenging in the evenings this week and I can get dinner served up before the sun goes down.

Here's wishing all the March 12 folks a great Monday!

Bratface

I was good this weekend , made sure I had my meal with me for the times I was at one of the kids event 

Sunday was a whole lot of prepping fir this week . Just started gym on the weekend 

Weight training Monday , Wednesday , Sunday . Nothing too heavy though. 

Today I felt hungry after lunch so had some almonds 

Hey all!  I started last Thursday, March 15.  So far, so good.  However, I have been soooooooo tired!!  I am so thankful for all of your posts/suggestions/encouraging words!  

Missing gum terribly.  Has anyone tried chewing mint leaves?  Trying to wrap my head around that!!

I'm here. I've made it through to day #10. I'm a pretty positive person....and I'm not feeling all that positive haha! I was really thinking about quitting today. I'm still going but feel on the fence. Before work today I was super tired to the point I couldn't get out for my usual run. I was hoping to feel better and more energized but so far I've felt somewhat the opposite. I'm hoping it's just the phases you go through with this diet change. I feel I'm eating way healthier, but maybe my body feels like it's just missing something. I dunno. I'm gonna keep on moving forward and hope that the way they explain the ebbs and flows of this 30 day diet on the Whole30 Calendar stays true and that their are some on top of the world type days ahead.

Keep up the good work everyone and stay committed! I'm trying my best to stick it through!

Adam

9 hours ago, JBWon said:

Hey all!  I started last Thursday, March 15.  So far, so good.  However, I have been soooooooo tired!!  I am so thankful for all of your posts/suggestions/encouraging words!  

Missing gum terribly.  Has anyone tried chewing mint leaves?  Trying to wrap my head around that!!

I haven't done the mint leave thing but I keep whole cloves in my mint tin as my mints. I love them. They are super strong and you can slowly suck and chew on them. I read that they have male and female parts on them and that women take them whole, and men break off the top round part (the female part) and then chew on the stem part (the male part). That could be just hippy talk, but either way, it is a great alternative. They do have a slight numbing property to them, but get the job done and have even some mineral benefits in them and help with digestion, nasuea and more.

On 3/16/2018 at 6:15 AM, Elizabeth M said:

Great job Adam!! One day at a time is the best way to get through it! This is my first whole30 and I'm on day 4 now. I've been impressed by your long runs during the first few days of the challenge...I felt very lightheaded working out on Day 2 but it's better now. Good luck!

How are you doing Elizabeth? I hope you're feeling better and moving forward with the W30. It's definitely been up and down for me. A lot tougher than I thought...and yeah lightheaded!

Adam

10 hours ago, AdamzW30 said:

I'm here. I've made it through to day #10. I'm a pretty positive person....and I'm not feeling all that positive haha! I was really thinking about quitting today. I'm still going but feel on the fence. Before work today I was super tired to the point I couldn't get out for my usual run. I was hoping to feel better and more energized but so far I've felt somewhat the opposite. I'm hoping it's just the phases you go through with this diet change. I feel I'm eating way healthier, but maybe my body feels like it's just missing something. I dunno. I'm gonna keep on moving forward and hope that the way they explain the ebbs and flows of this 30 day diet on the Whole30 Calendar stays true and that their are some on top of the world type days ahead.

Keep up the good work everyone and stay committed! I'm trying my best to stick it through!

Adam

Don't give up!  You can do this thing.  Maybe you need extra protein to get that bit of extra energy.  Think of every meal as a new 'test' to find what amount is going to work with your body and energy needs.   It's only 30 days. don't let one bad day get you down too much.

-D-

18 hours ago, AdamzW30 said:

Adam

8 hours ago, Lady Bratface said:

Don't give up!  You can do this thing.  Maybe you need extra protein to get that bit of extra energy.  Think of every meal as a new 'test' to find what amount is going to work with your body and energy needs.   It's only 30 days. don't let one bad day get you down too much.

-D-

The other thing that can make a huge difference in energy levels is starchy vegetables.  Especially if you're physically active like you're describing.  Stick with it, my first completed W30 it was about two weeks in before I could really feel the positive changes.

19 hours ago, AdamzW30 said:

Adam

I hope you stuck it out today.  Day 10...That's something to applaud and feel great about.  

I just wanted to say "Hi", and introduce myself. I'm Tara, live near DC, and hubby and I are on our second W30, we started on the 12th as well! So day 11 (I think?! lol.) here. Definitely been up and down for both of us. Lots of dull headaches, mood swings, exhaustion, breakouts (wth?!), and cooking...and eating, lol. I eat pretty paleo non-W30 but do indulge in wine and adult beverages on the weekends. We have four young kiddos, I blame the drinking on that, haha! But...today I feel like things are shifting. I'm feeling optimistic and clear-headed and enjoying the food (although it is wayyyy more than I'm used to eating). Also having thoughts of never drinking again because of starting to feel so good, is that normal?! Also, my skin is starting to look glowy, which is a nice added bonus.

We're doing mostly home cooked foods but supplement with a delivery service called Territory, which has really helped with cooking and cleaning and getting hungry and nothing around being prepared - or compliant, which was really hard on our first W30 a year ago. 

Lastly, I've had awful digestion stuff this time around but I think it's *finally* starting to work itself out. I've increased lots of cooked leafy greens with each meal and more fat, too. How are you all doing today? 

Keep up the great work out there friends! Happy to find a group that's on the same timeframe as us. 

I’ve been great and now I’m on day 10 and my mood is in a serious funk !!

Hesfing to the gym , maybe it will help 

I had bad digestion yesterday with the uncooked brocolli in my salad , won’t do that again. lol . 

Experiencing headaches today as well 

2 hours ago, Kiji said:

I’ve been great and now I’m on day 10 and my mood is in a serious funk !!

Hesfing to the gym , maybe it will help 

I had bad digestion yesterday with the uncooked brocolli in my salad , won’t do that again. lol . 

Experiencing headaches today as well 

Good job Kiji! One day at a time! It's crazy how different each day can be. I experienced headaches in the earlier days but fine now. I think everything starts to balance out a little bit! Great job and keep on rocking! You are doing great and hope the gym helps shake the funk.

Adam

Thanks for the support @alexd8 @Jim4884 @Lady Bratface. It's been pretty rough but I've made it this far. I don't know where this journey is taking me but I'm gonna keep on going. Things are balancing out a bit though I've been pretty tired. I've decided to go with the flow more. If I'm tired I sleep, If I'm hungry I eat, if I can't make it out for a run then I chill and go when I feel up to it etc.....it's only 30 days and I need to learn to take it easier on myself. I feel I wasted a lot of time in life and the last few years I have finally done something about it. I get really down on myself when I can't solve the world's problems over night. I need to be more patient and trust that I am moving forward. Trust the process more. I really in the end just want better eating habits and to enjoy and rely on whole foods more often.

I ranted a little bit. Whoops

Adam

The list has gone quiet again. ;) I thought I'd peek in and see how everyone is doing.  Still enjoying the program and enjoying the ebbing of the constant craving for the diet soda.  We're still eating new/different meals every week, unlike the usual same-old-crap every week.  It takes a bit more planning but I'm sure enjoying this!

Ping in folks!  Don't want to think we're doing this all alone ;) 

4 minutes ago, Lady Bratface said:

The list has gone quiet again. ;) I thought I'd peek in and see how everyone is doing.  Still enjoying the program and enjoying the ebbing of the constant craving for the diet soda.  We're still eating new/different meals every week, unlike the usual same-old-crap every week.  It takes a bit more planning but I'm sure enjoying this!

Ping in folks!  Don't want to think we're doing this all alone ;) 

I noticed it was quiet as well when I checked in this morning! I'm on day 14 and feeling much more energetic and productive. I'm like you...enjoying the different foods (although I feel like I'm just cooking and eating all the time now haha). I'm facing a challenge today and the next two days. I'm at a three day conference for work and it's catered/restaurants (always delicious but not whole 30). So I made three days worth of easy to transport meals and stocked my hotel room haha! 

Chia seed pudding with berries for breakfast; shrimp gazpacho + apple for lunch; almond satay chicken salad for dinner. I'll probably get tired of those the next two days but I'm trying to stay on track even though I had to travel! 

Archived