Compliant Spice

Hanna V

Hello, 

I am very new to Whole 30 and in the preliminary stages of my planning process. My concern is whether the spices i purchase will contain added sugars. Are there certain brands or stores I should look at that carry sugar-free spices? Or are most spices compliment?

Thanks

• Moderators
Just now, Hanna V said:

Hello, 

I am very new to Whole 30 and in the preliminary stages of my planning process. My concern is whether the spices i purchase will contain added sugars. Are there certain brands or stores I should look at that carry sugar-free spices? Or are most spices compliment?

Thanks

If you buy something as a spice that is just one item in the jar (oregano for instance) and there's no ingredient list ,then you can assume it's just oregano.  Spice blends will have ingredient lists and spices that tend toward clumping (say garlic powder) may have an ingredient list because sometimes they put a 'flowing agent' in... For organic spices, the flowing agent is usually rice flour (non compliant).  For non organic spices, the flowing agent is usually silica which is compliant.  This is the same across all brands so just go to the store and start reading the labels of what you want to buy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

"May contain" is a legal disclaimer for people who are highly allergic because there could be a potential for cross contamination in the manufacturing process. Unless it's listed in the ingredients, it's fine. :) 

Archived