kefir

Kay1691

Pre whole30 I used kefir grains which I regularly fermented with cow's milk to add probiotics  to my diet.  These have been put on ice for the last 28 days and I'd be interested in some guidance going forward as whole30 completes.  Have just read this article published by whole9 which promotes supplementing probiotic intake via food and it seems to me that re-introducing kefir might be a good nutritional move depending on how my body reacts to the re-introduction of dairy: http://whole9life.com/tag/kefir/

I have thought about whether to try it with coconut milk but other posts suggest that it is not as effective as whole dairy milk.  I know it's probably a personal choice here but my feeling is that I don't particularly miss dairy apart from milk in coffee and kefir so if I don't have any negative reaction following re-introduction, regular consumption of these 2 might be a good thing?

Thanks

• Moderators

Post whole-30, what you choose to eat is up to you. Definitely see how you react to dairy, but probiotics are generally a good thing, so this seems like a good thing to add, if you don't have a negative reaction.

Have you looked into other fermented foods? Kombucha or water kefir to drink, sauerkraut, kimchi, and other fermented vegetables to eat? Not that you need to, but if you like the process of making the kefir and you like the tanginess of fermented stuff, and especially if you find dairy doesn't agree with you, there are other options that you might also like.

Archived