Cheese vs other dairy?

sweetcee

I browsed some topics on this via googling but didn’t quite see what I was looking for. (Full disclosure looking quickly as I’m at work praying I don’t need to go home!)

I reintroduced cheese last night in the form of grass fed cheddar. 12 hours later, I am having stomach pain and diarrhea.  I didn’t react this way to Greek yogurt (plain grass fed) or half and half in coffee.

I understand that cheese may be a stronger reaction - is it this? And is this timeframe what I should be expecting? In all my other reintros so far, I haven’t experienced this kind of upset. I’m so sad but also hoping it’ll pass because teaching 5 straight hours like this is going to be rough!

• Moderators

This definitely sounds like it could be a reaction to dairy. It might be the cheese, or the cumulative effects of small amounts of dairy throughout the day if you did the yogurt and half and half the same day. And yes, reactions can happen hours after the fact. 

If you need to take something like Imodium or another anti-diarrheal medicine to get through your work day, you can. Other than that, lots of water, and stick to easy to eat foods like plain chicken, bananas, or baked or mashed potatoes.

I hope you feel better soon

Thank you! I did yogurt nearly 2 weeks ago, didn’t get around to the cheese on that day. 

I feel much better and was able to finish my breakfast after that episode. 

I was afraid of this... I’m going to hope that other cheeses go better, but good to know this to start.

Archived