2 week reset

healthyfit07

I was traveling a lot and when I got back home I decided to do a whole30 just to get in the swing of things, cook whole meals, get my weight and digestion back on track - so pretty much a reset. I felt really good first week, lost all the water retention I held on to, kept caffeine under control, cooked yummy meals. Week 2: I ran a half marathon, since I wanted to do well, I had an rxbar and banana and relied on carbs to get me through rather than fat/protein, since I was worried I wasn’t yet fat adapted. In week 2 I also realized I started snacking more which I really wanted to keep under control. On day 14 I decided that 2 weeks was enough for a reset and if I continued I was worried of getting obsessive and fearful of foods as well as uncontrollable snacking. Something  I struggled with for awhile, so I wanted to be safe. 

Today I am eating 90% whole30, and experiencing great food freedom. A couple concerns/questions that I have moving forward. I want to become fat adapted and really eat In a way that makes my runs great as well as my mood and energy. I am trying really hard to follow the meal template, eliminate snacking and just train my mind to not rely on them as they are more emotional for me rather than a necessity. How can I properly incorporate cream that I put in my coffee to not mess with fat adaptation? For example I drink coffee with cream couple hours before breakfast. And than I have coffee with cream in between lunch and dinner - I am trying to switch to decaf, the afternoon coffee for me is an enjoyment/ social thing that I love. 

I also have days where I am good with 2 big meals rather than 3. 

Thank you ☺️

I don't know that cream in your coffee would affect fat adaptation, but I don't know for sure.

One thing you should consider is having your breakfast first, then the coffee a little later - that'll help your hormones regulate, which will help with everything else, including your athletic performance. I also find that I feel more snacky and hungry during the day if I don't have a big breakfast, and pretty soon after waking up. (Unless of course you're having the coffee and then training, and having breakfast afterwards?)

Having a post-workout really makes a difference to my hunger later in the day as well - I'm not sure if it's just the extra food or some kind of magical protein absorption, but there's a noticeable difference if I don't eat it. (NB. I run and weight train on just coffee with collagen peptides in the mornings, but I'm not running more than 10km, so you will have different needs.)

16 hours ago, GoJo09 said:

I don't know that cream in your coffee would affect fat adaptation, but I don't know for sure.

One thing you should consider is having your breakfast first, then the coffee a little later - that'll help your hormones regulate, which will help with everything else, including your athletic performance. I also find that I feel more snacky and hungry during the day if I don't have a big breakfast, and pretty soon after waking up. (Unless of course you're having the coffee and then training, and having breakfast afterwards?)

Having a post-workout really makes a difference to my hunger later in the day as well - I'm not sure if it's just the extra food or some kind of magical protein absorption, but there's a noticeable difference if I don't eat it. (NB. I run and weight train on just coffee with collagen peptides in the mornings, but I'm not running more than 10km, so you will have different needs.)

Thank you!! I usually try and have 3 meals but a lot of the times when I have a late dinner(which is often), I’m just not hungry in the morning, and when my runs are easy right now. I’m sure when I increase my mileage my food intake will naturally go up. 

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I'm not an expert on any of this, so take my comments with several grains of salt, but I'm not sure why you're stressing about a bit of cream in your coffee? Sugar is bad for most of us (all of us?) I think, but I don't see why a bit of cream would be bad. Certainly doesn't seem like it would hurt with fat adaption. Enjoy your coffee with cream I say!

Archived