Tortilla chips with compliant ingredients for cooking only?

sbenshoof

I understand that chips are out regardless of having compliant ingredients, because of the need to break snack habits. I'm wondering if they are used in a cooking capacity could the recipe be compliant? For instance the Siete toritilla chips have compliant ingredients. If they are used to cook with and make a tortilla chip crusted chicken breast or to make a chicken casserole, would that be okay? Thanks!

If you are using them as a dredge... they wouldn’t be a non compliant ingredient anymore.... ingredients=compliant. Ingredient in chip form = not compliant.  Hartwig in the books talks about not being caught up in the “perfect” whole 30, just following the rules. Rules says watch the ingredients you eat and  don’t eat chips.... At the end of the day do what you think is right. You’re doing the sbenshoof whole 30, not the ladyshanny whole30 or the bis98356 whole30. Do you.

• Moderators

I think if you crushed the chips up into basically sand to dredge the chicken, then that would be fine... if you're just slightly breaking them up to use as a casserole topping and they still basically resemble chips, that's not on.

Actually, I take that back... sorry, sometimes thoughts need to percolate... We would never agree to crushing potato chips up for making a crust or crushing up cookies with compliant ingredients to top a fruit salad just because it no longer resembled a cookie... 

I"m with @ladyshanny - there are plenty of other things to dredge chicken with for 30 days.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Bis98356 said:

If you are using them as a dredge... they wouldn’t be a non compliant ingredient anymore.... ingredients=compliant. Ingredient in chip form = not compliant.  Hartwig in the books talks about not being caught up in the “perfect” whole 30, just following the rules. Rules says watch the ingredients you eat and  don’t eat chips.... At the end of the day do what you think is right. You’re doing the sbenshoof whole 30, not the ladyshanny whole30 or the bis98356 whole30. Do you.

Hi @Bis98356 - I get where you're coming from but the original poster asked how the tortilla chips are viewed by the program and there are not different rules for you doing it vs me doing it vs @sbenshoof doing it. There's one program and one set of rules and the tortilla chips are not compliant with the program regardless of how you wish to use them. For the tortilla chips, leave them for after your Whole30.

Archived