Whole30 and Hashimotos

Hi! I’m on day 3 and I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis. I’ve been noticing that I’m not feeling any different. I can’t tell if the headaches are extended from what I normally have or if they’re caused by sugar withdrawal. I also am noticing that I haven’t been cranky at all and though I’m having a huge craving for a strawberry mango smoothie, I’m not wanting all the junk I’m usually eating. So here’s my question, will my auto immune disease affect my results in a positive matter? Because I’m feeling like this is beginning easier than anticipated, I’m afraid for the storm that will be coming soon.

• Moderators

How much your body goes through detox at the beginning of the program is tied directly to what your diet was like beforehand.  An auto immune condition will absolutely play into your experience on the program altho I can't think it would reduce your detox so it's possible you're just delayed or you won't be getting it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been feeling like literally half dead since starting Whole 30 six days ago. I am totally lethargic, have no energy, can’t stay awake during the day, can’t sleep at night, have nausea, diarrhea, am peeing constantly, a migraine headache started yesterday and hasn’t gone away. OMG Help. Me. I feel horrible! I just started wondering if there’s some reason why I should not be doing this with Hashimoto’s because I feel SO physically ill.

We'd need a lot more details about what/how much you're eating (as related to the template) in order to give any directed feedback. 

But: Eat more.  Eat more fats especially.  Drink water.  Salt your food.  Check out the timeline: https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/  It's not exact and not all people follow it at the same rate, but....it's funny at least.

I have Hashimoto's, and this might be specific to me and have nothing to do with the autoimmune condition, but Whole30 helps me tremendously.  During Whole30:

I need to eat cooked vegetables at breakfast.  There's a noticeable energy dip in the afternoon if I do not, even if I get plenty of calories.  (Note: not just carbs like fruit, vegetables.  Specifically cooked.  Raw does nothing for me.  Favorites are asparagus, zucchini, sweet potato, and arugula.  I try to have leftover roasted vegetables available in mornings for ease.)  If I do need an afternoon something, I eat something high fat, like olives, with some protein if I have it.

Nuts destroy me.  Both digestion-wise (problems), hunger-wise (they make me hungrier), and energy-wise (see you later, energy).  

Good luck.

Archived