Day 16- extreme muscle weakness and shortness of breath

I’m on day 16, and I feel fine in general until I go to exercise (and I’m not even talking working out, just anything that elevates my heart rate slightly) I get winded incredibly fast, my muscles feel tired and week all the time. I walked a mile with a friend at lunch today (at a slow leisurely pace, not even really working out) and 2 1/2 hours later my calves are still on fire. I was working out consistently before starting and now I can’t even do 10 min on the treadmill before feeling like I’m going to pass out. I can’t keep doing this if I’m going to feel this awful. What’s going on? 

• Moderators

This isnt normal. If it continues, definitely talk to your doctor, just to rule out anything non-food-related. 

If you want more personalized feedback, list a day or two of typical meals, including approximate portion sizes and water intake.

In general, some things that might possibly cause something like this would be not eating enough, not drinking enough water, or not salting your food. Your meals should be big enough that you easily go 4-5 hours without being hungry between meals. You should aim to drink a half ounce of water per pound of body weight, so a 120 lb person needs at least 60 oz. And for salt, just be sure youre adding some, whether it's as youre cooking, as you're eating, or both -- most of what you eat on whole30 isn't going to have salt unless you add it, and while too much salt is a problem, not enough salt can be as well.

Thank you, this def isn’t normal! 

A typical day for me is:

breakfasf - 2-3 scrambled eggs with sausage or bacon and fruit (a banana, pear or peach). This week it’s scrambled egg twice baked potatoes. 

lunch - left over dinner (today was left over egg roll in a bowl made with ground pork) and veggies of some sort (usually steamed broccoli) and a cup of berries

dinner - usually a meat and veggies, with avocado. We’ve been doing a lot of fish taco in a bowl type things (cali rice, meat of choice, veggies and avocado) my husband and I both aren’t feeling well so today it was applegate hot dogs and roasted sweet potatoes.   

I salt all the things  lol. I also have been eating more than I usually do. I def am full between meals, and most of the time am just eating because I know I should be. I drink about 100 Oz of water a day (just short of half my body weight in ounces). This muscle weekness has been going on for about 8 days, and actually caused a knee injury last week. 

My coworker and good friend is a certified nutritionist and personal trainer and she was telling me something about this diet obviously isn’t working for me and I should reevaluate. I tend to agree with her but I also feel like at this point I’m more than halfway through so I might as well keep going. I don’t want to keep skipping my workouts and feeling like crap though. 

• Moderators

You might go get your iron tested. When I am anemic, this is exactly how I feel. Like breathing is even an effort. Obviously we can't give medical advice but it's worth getting tested if your doc might run some blood tests anyway. 

Archived