UK Lacto-ovo vegetarian pre Whole 30 and Whole 30 log September 2018

SarahS2018

So these are some pre Whole 30 thoughts and planning.

I want to make this work, so I am having a little practice whilst I await the arrival of my coconut aminos.  Firstly, I have to sort out breakfast.  I normally have a green smoothie:

2 frozen bananas

1 apple

2 handfuls of kale

1 teaspoon of spirula

2 teaspoon of Holland & Barrett omega seed mix

lemon juice  and a small piece of ginger.

small cup of cold water

or I take a couple of apples and bananas as I rush out the door.

So I have had many thoughts about breakfast.  I am really not into food preparation in the morning, much less eating breakfast.  It is recommended that you eat within one hour of getting up, but it is not a rule?  I hope I have that right.

I am thinking about an egg, kale or spinach and mushroom omelette or vegetable soup for breakfast (I still have to check out if I can puree it and drink the soup), then I can just make it the night before and pop it in the microwave in the morning.

I am also looking at lunches.  I like salads for lunch in the summer and soups in the winter, but some days I don't really have time for lunch.  On Mondays, I leave at 10.30 am and work straight through to 4.30 pm.  On Wednesdays I leave at 11.45 am and get back at 3.45 pm.  On Thursdays I leave at 9.15 am and get back at 3pm and Fridays I leave a t 8.30 am and am back by 1pm or 4.30pm.  I worry about keeping food cold as I am out and about and it has been very hot here.

So, I will have to dig out an insulated lunch bag and find some freezer blocks, as I don't want to risk eating homemade mayonaisse or boiled eggs after a few hours without cooling them.

I am not worried about evening meals.  I think vegetable stir fries with cauliflower egg fried rice and vegetable curries with cauliflower rice are going to be the mainstays.

I am female in my 50's.  I have been vegetarian since my early 20's.  I was born in London, but now live in the East Midlands.  I have moved slowly towards less dairy products.  I buy soya or nut milks, stopped eating yoghurt.  I am a lover of cheese and haven't really found an alternative I like.

Years ago I read about food combining and the bit about fruit really made sense to me, so I always eat fruit by itself or just before I eat a meal.  I find that my stomach doesn't bloat and I don't suffer from flatulence.  I also tend to be a grazer during the day.  So I am really going to have to think about these two things and really plan the night before.

I have always suffered from allergies, dust, animal hair, hayfever.  In 2012 my eldest child and I tried eating raw for one week.  At the end of the week I sat down and at some chocolate chip cookies and my nose started running, my eyes watered, before I had finished the third cookie.  The horror of thinking it was the chocolate that was causing it.  However, we worked out it was wheat or gluten. I am still not really sure, but without certain grains all the allergies disappeared.  After the first week and doing more research I realised that we weren't really that raw as lots of products we used had been cooked.

I don't tend to buy many 'free from' products (three times the price), because of the expense and because sometimes I still get a reaction, so tend to eat rice  and corn. I have a little oats, but normally oats are prepared in places that are contaminated with gluten grains.  Some of these 'free form' products have really long ingredient list, so it is difficult to work out what is causing the problem.

I am going to do the Whole 30, because I am really interested to find out if the effects on my body, will be as marked as when I cut out gluten?

I have been away camping at a festival for a week and came back yesterday and off to work today. I only managed to do the food shopping this afternoon.  I was surprised I got a meal in, it was only because it was cooked for me.

Now for my first practice log entry:

Steps

Water intake

1 litre then 500mls to bed with me.

Food

Apple, banana, 

tablespoon of cashews

1 chocolate chip cookie, 500mls Pepsi (normal)

1 snickers, handful of popcorn

saag paneer and rice, (spinach and indian cheese curry) and poppadoms

generic snickers bar

Thoughts 

This is not a normal day for me.  I normally manage a really nice salad on a Tuesday for lunch and it is normally a gym day, but it is my first day back.  I got some gardening done, but didn't get to the allotment and I know there are some courgettes waiting for me to pick.

I met a new client today, so will have a further four hours work on a Tuesday afternoon.  So from next week I will have to have lunch ready at home as I will only have about 10 minutes spare for lunch.

I am hoping the coconut aminos arrive by Friday.  I am not sure if I will beable to start Whole 30 over the weekend as I am driving my eldest back to University in Cornwall.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SarahS2018 said:

It is recommended that you eat within one hour of getting up, but it is not a rule?

This is correct. 

Breakfasts that you can make ahead could include frittatas, egg muffins, or breakfast casseroles (which are often just as good cold as reheated) -- here's a couple of recipes, though you can generally sub whatever vegetables you like: https://www.onecleverchef.com/whole30-breakfast-casserole-vegetarian-paleo/, https://paleoleap.com/egg-and-vegetable-muffins/, https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/whole30-veggie-packed-breakfast-frittata-3908443, soup (yes, you can blend it, but do try to include some protein in your meal as well), or leftovers from the night before. If you've got leftover roasted veggies in the fridge, you can heat them up and top with fried eggs. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, SarahS2018 said:

Thank you.  I was going to leave the egg muffins out, because you bake them although savoury.  So glad I can blend the soup, I think that might go down better in the mornings.  I will look at the links later.

Egg muffins aren't really muffin like. I don't like to make them because I never seem to be able to get them out of the muffin tin or cupcake wrappers cleanly so I feel like I lose part of my food, but they're really just the same ingredients as you'd put in a breakfast casserole.

Steps

Water Intake

1 litre and 500ml taken to bed with me

Food

2 boiled eggs.

a carrot.

handful of cashews.

Vegetable soup

Thoughts

I am more settled into  my return from holiday.  I got up twice in the night to put holiday washing in the machine at 3 am and 6 am and then up at 10.30 am, but I grabbed a couple of boiled eggs on my way out the door.  I have realised that I might enjoy breakfast in bed, so I will try that tomorrow.

I have just checked my how much water I should be drinking.  If 0.5 oz US = 14.787 mls, I am a few hundred mls off.

I made a spinach, mushroom, red sweet pepper frittata this evening, homemade mayonnaise and a vegetable soup.  I took a 1/3 of the soup out and blended it and then added it back.  My only problem is apart from salt, pepper and basil, I had no other suitable seasoning.  I will have to research that tomorrow.  I would normally make a vegetable stock with Marigold bouillon powder, but the ingredients are not acceptable.

Steps

Water Intake

500ml and 500ml taken to bed.

Food

Frittata

soup

boiled egg

2 handfuls of cashews

salad, 2 boiled eggs, homemade mayonnaise

carrot

Thoughts

I woke up with a headache this morning and spent 20 minutes trying to work out if paracetamol was okay.  Yes, it is.  I still managed to leave on time and ate frittata in the car. However I didn't wake in the night so drank the water in the morning.  Also worked out my flask is no use and drank cold soup for lunch.  I also can't find the insulated lunch bag.  I made vegetable curry this evening.

My steps are way down for a Thursday as I normally walk a dog for an hour, but went to yoga.

Steps

Water intake

1 litre, taken to bed 500 mls

Food

2 slices of frittata

soup and 2 boiled eggs

handful of cashews

stir fry vegetables with eggs

slice of watermelon

Thoughts

The coconut aminos arrived today, so stir fry tonight.  It was great.  I am not sure what I did wrong with the flask, but cold soup again at lunchtime.

The coconut aminos have arrived, so I am already to get started, but not sure as travelling over the weekend and not sure how it is going to work.  If it all falls apart I can start my Whole 30 on Tuesday.  I have experimented with having a slice of watermelon at the end of my stir fry to see how my stomach manages.

Saturday 8th September

Steps

Water Intake

1 litre, taken to bed with me 500 mls

Food 

Leftover stir fry

Leftover soup

frittata, salad, 1/2 avocado pear

salad, 3 boiled eggs

2 handfuls of cashews

1/2 avocado

one satsuma segment

Thoughts

I had leftovers for breakfast.  We left home and started driving at 9 am.  We stopped three times.  The second time for lunch and the third for dinner, we arrived in Cornwall at 7.30 pm.  I wanted to go to sleep then and there, but I had no food for tomorrow, so went to Lidl.  However when I went to bed I think I had passed the time for sleep and then couldn't sleep.  I was up unti 2am.

So the drive to Cornwall worked quite well with Whole 30, even with my child eating popcorn in the car.

Sunday 9th September

Steps

Water Intake

Food

Vegetable omelette

one blackberry

2 cashews

vegetable omelette

bite of an apple

peppermint tea

2 handfuls of cashews

3 boiled eggs, vegetable curry

one banana

Thoughts

We didn't get up until 10.30 am, then had lunch at 2 pm and dinner, not until 10 pm.  We had a short walk before lunch and I picked a wild blackberry, which was sour.  After lunch we went for a long walk on the beach and had a peppermint tea at a hotel.  Dinner was very late, the curry was peppery hot for me as I could only find a medium curry powder which was compliant.  Normally I would have had sugary water to cool it, but had a banana instead.  It sort of worked and I nearly finished the curry.

I think when I am too hungry I eat a lot of cashews.  I could of had a carrot, but it wasn't doing it for me.  Maybe if I had had the carrot on the way back from the beach, I wouldn't have turned to the cashews.

I had trouble sorting out internet access, so two logs on one day.  Tomorrow is the drive back on my own.  I will see how I do.

Day 4

Monday September 10th

Steps

Water Intake

Breakfast

Leftover curry and 2 boiled eggs

Snack

3 cashews, bite of an apple, 1 grape

Lunch

2 boiled eggs, 2 tomatoes, 1/2 avocado

Dinner

2 boiled eggs, 1/2 avocado, endless cashews

Snack

2 handfuls of grapes

Thoughts

I say endless cashews, but it was a 150g bag and there is about over half left.

Right, I believe that since Friday I have been Whole 30 compliant and it is the day I took my body measurements and got on the scales.  So I am going to call Friday day 1 of my first Whole 30.

So today I drove back from Cornwall.  I stopped more, but for shorter periods of time.  I left at 12 noon and arrived home by 8 pm.  The fruit after protein does not appear to be affecting my stomach, but I am not eating very much fruit.  Yet again the apple I was going to eat was powdery, so I didn't eat it.

Things I have to work on:

Eating on waking in the first hour.  I have managed in the first two hours, normally about an hour and a half.

Eating three meals a day and trying not to snack.

Preparing food the night before as I can just manage to boil eggs in the morning.

Day 5

Tuesday 11th September 2018

Steps

Water Intake

1 litre, taken to bed with me 500mls

Breakfast

3 boiled eggs, a carrot, a tomato

Lunch

Frittata, a carrot, handful of cashews, handful of grapes

Dinner

2 boiled eggs, vegetable curry

snack

grapes and cashews.

Thoughts

Today I started breakfast 55 minutes after waking up. Yippee! Can I do it for another 25 days?

Now this morning after eating breakfast, my nose ran like a tap and I had the sneezes, normally a sign I am coming down with a cold or my allegies are playing up. I have a feeling about the tomato.......... but it could just have been dust?

I haven't cooked today, but should have some time in the morning to do some.  I have been boiling eggs, but I think I will try fried eggs for breakfast.  I also think I will have to have a really big breakfast tomorrow as I really can't see how I am going to fit lunch in? I work from around 11.30 am to 3.45 pm.

Day 6

Wednesday 12th September 2018

Steps

Water Intake

1.2 litres taken to bed 500 mls

Breakfast

3 fried eggs, leftover vegetable curry

Lunch

Boiled egg, a carrot, 2 handful of grapes

Dinner

cashews and more cashews

Thoughts

Not a good day today.  This has nothing to do with Whole 30, the rest of my life has taken a turn for the worst and it is all rather stressful at the moment.

I went shopping and cooked tonight.  Boiled some eggs, cooked a pot of vegetable curry and a frittata.  New day tomorrow.

Day 7

Thursday 13th September 2018

Steps

Water Intake

1300 mls, 500 mls taken to bed

Breakfast

2 boiled eggs and a carrot

Lunch

1 boiled egg and a carrot

Before yoga: 1 slice of frittata and a handful of cashews

Dinner

Vegetable curry and 2 fried eggs

Thoughts

A better day today.  The other stuff has sort of resolved itself, I will have to see.

The day went better than I thought for food.  Although I have eaten my dinner and I am full, I still fancy something sweet.  So off to look up 'sugar dragons' and meal templates.

Day 9

Saturday 15th September 2018

Steps

?

Water Intake

?

Breakfast

3 boiled eggs and vegetable curry

Lunch

2 boiled eggs and vegetable curry

Dinner

Cashews, cashews, handful of grapes

Thoughts

I had breakfast within 15 minutes of getting up. I reflected on how this happened.  The house I was staying in was warm and my to do list was short.  When I am at home, it is colder and I wake up fretting about all the things I have to get done and getting up in a cold room.  It takes me about 30 minutes to get out of bed to face the day.  It means examining how much I try to do in a day.  I have got used to eating in the morning, so maybe I can do breakfast first and fret whilst I am  eating in bed.

I read about sugar dragons.  I realised they don't have to be sweet, hence the cashew nuts.  Also my lack of planning/organisation leads to me not eating enough food.  I also looked at the meal template, I am still working on understanding it.   I can fit 4 eggs in my hand, I can't see how I can possibly eat 4 eggs in one go.  I think my limit is three. 

I have also had  spot breakout on my face, so something is out of balance as normally my complexion is clear.

Tomorrow I get back to the gym with spin cycle, so I have been reading about pre/post workout food.  I wonder if I could just peel the egg white off the the boiled egg?  So a boiled egg on the way to the gym and egg white and some boiled potato after the workout.  I will be interested to see how this affects my workouts as normally I don't eat before as it makes me feel ill, but try to get a good lunch in.  

When I started at the gym I was ravenous when I had finished a session. But as I got fitter and worked harder, I was not hungry after I finished. So eating this way will be a new experience.

I am feeling despondent with how I am managing the Whole 30. However, this is my first Whole 30 and it is challenging my eating habits.  So maybe I need to be gentle with myself and cheer for what I am managing?

Day 10

Sunday 16th September 2018

Steps

Water Intake

500mls

Before waking a handful of cashews

Breakfast

2 fried eggs, salad, 1 avocado

Lunch

Dinner

2 egg spinach omelette

Thoughts

Today was a pajama day.  I got up at about 9.30 am, had a handful of cashew nuts and then called the day a bust and went back to bed and sleep.  I then got up at around 2.30 pm and had breakfast, did some paperwork from my bed.  I also did my Whole 30 log for the the days I was away.  It's about 10 pm and I have just finished dinner. I suppose it is a good thing it is Sunday, it is not often I get to waste most of a day.

I just checked the timeline and I suppose this weekend was my hardest days, particularly with having to travel over the weekend.  I feel like I have been doing whole 30 forever, I can't believe it is just over a week.  I  assume it is because I am so focussed on what goes into my mouth.

I have also noticed my body shape is changing.  I look thinner and bits are drooping, sagging, plus the spots on my face.  I also have a strong urge to jump on the scales.  I don't know where that has come from?  I weigh myself infrequently, so infrequently I write it down.  I have weighed myself 9 times in 2018, why I have the urge to weigh myself after a week I do not know.

Roll on week 2...........

Day 11

Monday 17th September 2018

Steps

Water Intake

1200mls, taken to bed 500 mls

Breakfast

2 slices of frittata (within 15 minutes of getting up)

Lunch

2 boiled eggs, 1 carrot, 1 avocado

5.30 pm pre workout - 1 boiled egg, handful of cashews

6 pm Group cycle spin

7.05 pm post workout - egg white, potion of sweet potato

Dinner

stir fry vegetables with egg, handful of cashews

Thoughts

Well the strangest thing this morning, I got up and not a spot in sight, they disappeared overnight.

First time at spin class in about a month.  It was hard work.  Difficult to tell if the workout meals made a different as it has been a while since I attended a class.  I nearly gagged on the post workout egg white, but the sweet potato went down well.  Now, I have a sweet tooth and I wonder if the sweet potato set off a sugar dragon as I enjoyed it immensely.  I was going to do white potato, but didn't have any in.

Tonight I boiled some eggs and got some vegetable curry out of the freezer.

Day 12

Tuesday 18th September 2018

Steps

Water Intake

Breakfast

Leftover egg vegetable stir fry, half of avocado

Lunch

2 boiled eggs, a carrot, olives

pre workout boiled egg, half avocado

45 minutes spin class

post workout egg white, sweet potato

Dinner

refused - Two hours later handful of olives, two handfuls of cashews.

Thoughts

I just couldn't face dinner, I am feeling peckish now.  I might have some more olives.

Not much to add to today.  My new client has decided not to go forward, so Tuesday afternoons are free again.  In my heart, I feel rejected, but in my head I know it is not personal.

After the cycle spin class, the egg white went down better, I wasn't tempted to gag.

I am beginning to give eggs the evil eye..............

Day 14

Thursday 20th September 2018

Steps

Water Intake

??

Breakfast

Slice of frittata

Lunch

2 boiled eggs, 1/2 a carrot

1/2 carrot, an apple

Dinner

Egg vegetable stir fry in two halves

Thoughts

So this was a normal Thursday. I am still doing breakfast in the first hour of waking.  So I am out the door at 9.15 am.  My first opportunity to eat is 1pm, I only managed the eggs and 1/2 of the carrot, then back to work.  Then at 2.30 pm I ate the  other 1/2 of the carrot and an apple.

When I get home at 3pm, I get changed and go dog walking, I am back in at 5.30 pm, I cooked the stir fry, but was afraid of eating it all before yoga at 7.15 pm, so only ate 1/2.  Then when I got in from yoga I ate the rest of the stir fry.

It doesn't fit the 3 meals a day???  I don't seem to beable to eat enough in 30 minutes.  If I leave a bit gap between meals, I end up stuffing cashews in my mouth.  Something for me to work on.

It has also made me realise why I eat crap some days, there just isn't time to fit in a proper meal.  The thing is I really love the dog walking I do, even in the rain and the yoga just makes my week.  But I don't believe yoga is something I can do on a very full stomach.

Day 15

Friday 21st September 2018

Steps

Water Intake

??

Breakfast

Slice of frittata

Lunch

2 boiled eggs, an apple

Dinner

3 fried eggs, vegetable curry

Thoughts

Day 15, I am halfway through.  I am giving eggs the evil eye now, but they are still going down well.  

I have been looking at a tomato ketchup recipe, but not sure what I would put it on, probably only fried eggs.  I suppose I could have a fried breakfast with fried eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and hash browns (off to check if hash browns are compliant).......  Yep, I can have homemade hash browns so I will plan for a fried breakfast on Sunday with homemade tomato ketchup.

I have just had a look at the Whole 30 Timeline, Day 15 cravings.  I have been off gluten since 2012, due to been intolerant.  I love chocolate cakes and chocolate chip cookies.  I was always pushing the boundaries, trying little bits here and there until I got an adverse reaction.  So now I don't bother.  I tried the 'free from' products, but sometimes I would get a reaction.  They have such a long ingredients list it was difficult to work out which one was causing the problem.  So I tend not to have them.  So yes, I am having cravings, but I have them all the time anyway.

My teenager cooks all the things I cannot eat, but it has been like this for years.  I didn't clear my cupboards out of non compliant items because I don't get to eat them anyway.

The one thing I cannot normally do without is cheese, but I haven't had any cravings for it.  I had already changed over to plant based milk. So I can see that once I have finished the 30 days I can probably remain dairy free.  Then if I can remove eggs I will be vegan.  I am not sure how possible that will be.  I will see what happens when I re introduce legumes?

I am noting my food on Google Keep on my mobile, rather than trying to remember it to the end of the day.  So I am logging a few days on the website at once.

Day 16

Saturday 22nd September 2018

Steps

Water Intake

??

Breakfast

3 egg omelette, with onion, mushroom, sweet pepper, courgette and spinach

Lunch

2 eggs and cashews, cashews.

Dinner

Salad, one boiled egg and mash potatoes (white potato, sweet potato, olive oil, salt, pepper, cashew milk, 2 eggs)

Thoughts

I feel today is a bust.  Me and those cashews.  I went food shopping which ran over lunchtime and I came back and ate cashews :( 

I couldn't make find any shredded coconut, so made some cashew milk instead for the mashed potatoes.  I think I would have enjoyed them more without the sweet potatoes.

I will not be having a fried breakfast in the morning as I couldn't work out the ingredients  for the ketchup recipe, but I think I have sorted it now.  Maybe I will have it for lunch instead.

Day 17

Sunday 23rd September 2018

Steps

Water Intake

??

Breakfast

Mash potatoes, 2 boiled eggs, sauteed kale

Lunch

Dinner

2 fried eggs, hash browns, fried mushrooms, tomato ketchup

2 slices of melon

Thoughts

Well I had breakfast about 10 am (it was within 1 hour of waking up)  went out to get the ingredients for the tomato ketchup and then cooked.  I didn't actually sit down for dinner until 7 pm.  I was so focussed on making the tomato ketchup I didn't stop to eat.  Just for anyone in the UK:

US tomato paste = UK tomato puree

US tomato sauce = UK tomato passata

I cooked hash browns, which fell apart, but tasted great.  The tomato ketchup was ace, I put some in a tiny mason jar and the rest in ice cube trays in the freezer.

I cooked some boiled eggs in the pressure cooker. Then some vegetable curry.

Day 18

Monday 25th September 2018

Steps

Water Intake

??

Breakfast

2 boiled eggs, vegetable curry

Lunch

3 scrambled eggs, sauteed kale, mashed potatoes, ketchup

Slice of melon

Dinner

2 boiled eggs, 1 avocado, vegetable curry.

Thoughts

Today I have had lots of thoughts about the end of Whole 30.  Well there is the end of Whole 30 and then I have counted 12 days for the reintroduction.  Although, I am not doing the reintroduction of the gluten products.  I could do it for 'kicks and giggles'.  A family member commented that I am doing this for 30 days to find out I can't eat gluten, but the point is, it could be something else.  This is the reason I am doing this to find out if there are other things that are not good for me.

Also when I tried raw food, it was great, but hard to stick to.  I feel this time that I really like the way I feel and will stick with it.

Every morning my body looks different and my clothes are all baggy.  I will be Kon Marie-ing at the end of this.

I was on the waiting list for cycle spin today, but cancelled as I had some finances/paperwork to sort out.  Finally, got it done, it has been causing me stress since the end of August.  I did all I could do since then, it was just a matter of waiting and working through the process.

I have also been thinking about the whole 'Tiger Blood' thing.  I really need to eat more, but I am finding it incredibly difficult.  Anyway onwards and upwards.

Day 19

Tuesday 25th September 2018

Steps

Water Intake

??

Breakfast

3 fried eggs, hash browns, 1/2 avocado, homemade ketchup

Lunch

1/2 avocado, mash potato, 2 boiled eggs.

pre excercise, boiled egg, 1/4 avocado, handful of cashews.

post exercise egg white, slice of sweet potato

Dinner

2 scrambled eggs, olives, vegetable curry

Thoughts

Archived