When can I have...?

SaraEC

Hello, I'm new at Whole30. I'm on day 3. I just made the shrimp frittata recipe recommended in the "It all starts with food" book, only to realize mid-way cooking the dish that the shrimp I bought has sodium metabisulfite, so now I can't eat it. I bought the shrimp at a local butcher who carries high-quality meats, including organic ones (and some select seafood). I did not think to check the label, especially when he said that the shrimp from this region was superior. In any case, I do not plan to throw it out, but I don't want to jeopardize my Whole30, so I will try freezing my frittata, and keep the rest of the frozen shrimp for later. Is this something I can eat during the reintroduction phase, or do I need to wait until I'm completely finished with all the Whole30 steps. Quite disappointed! 

• Moderators

Bummer!!! :(  There's no 'day' for additives outlined in reintroduction but since you'll have the lovely 'compliant but for' frittatta on hand, you can definitely make that one of your reintro items... If it was me, I'd do it as the first day reintro because it's one of the items that might be more unlikely to cause a problem for most people (where as say grains or soy is hugely problematic for a lot of people).

As far as reheating it, not sure if you wanted advice around that or not but as a frequent fritatta reheater, my advice would be to cut it into pieces before freezing and then thaw in a strainer to let the excess liquid drain away... then, you can slice the piece into smaller slices and pan fry on both sides to crisp it up and warm it through, or you can chop it all up in the pan and make it more like a hash if it doesn't slice easily.

On 9/8/2018 at 3:35 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Bummer!!! :(  There's no 'day' for additives outlined in reintroduction but since you'll have the lovely 'compliant but for' frittatta on hand, you can definitely make that one of your reintro items... If it was me, I'd do it as the first day reintro because it's one of the items that might be more unlikely to cause a problem for most people (where as say grains or soy is hugely problematic for a lot of people).

As far as reheating it, not sure if you wanted advice around that or not but as a frequent fritatta reheater, my advice would be to cut it into pieces before freezing and then thaw in a strainer to let the excess liquid drain away... then, you can slice the piece into smaller slices and pan fry on both sides to crisp it up and warm it through, or you can chop it all up in the pan and make it more like a hash if it doesn't slice easily.

Thank you SugarCubeOD. I froze the shrimp fritatta, and I look forward to a meal already-made after my Whole30! 

I will take your advice and eat it on my first day reintro, but do you think it is still necessary to wait two days before reintroducing the next item, given that it's just additives? 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SaraEC said:

Thank you SugarCubeOD. I froze the shrimp fritatta, and I look forward to a meal already-made after my Whole30! 

I will take your advice and eat it on my first day reintro, but do you think it is still necessary to wait two days before reintroducing the next item, given that it's just additives? 

No, probably not... that's why I suggest doing it first so you can get it out of the way and carry on the reintros... obviously if you do feel yucky after eating it, then leave a few days until you feel good but otherwise, I think moving forward the next day would be fine.

Archived