Well, 2018 has been sucky. Let's try to end it well.

JulieinIN

Not to begin with a sob story but I've started and stopped numerous Whole30s this year but my stress level was at an all time high and led ultimately to an all time high of grief.  I spent 2018 watching my husband first get an amputation, then have 2 heart attacks and ultimately succumb to kidney failure on September 2nd.   I need to analyze why I am starting a Whole30 more in detail but I am definitely needing to clean toxins out of my body and regain a sense of who I am.  I was with him for sixteen years (married for 15) and I don't remember who I was before I met him.  We had an absolute blast together and I am so lucky to have had those years with him.  We were lucky we had THAT many years together.

But now it's time for me to rediscover myself.  And I believe cleaning out my body will help me focus my brain better.  And, without my husband, it's a lot easier to ditch the grains.  :-/  I've also booked a trip to Yosemite during the week after Christmas.  I need to relearn how to travel by myself.  This is with a group of strangers (yikes) but later on I'll do solo travel.  But this is the first Christmas without him and I am off work.  That would make for some very long days.

I'm also going to be selling our condo and heading back home to the Midwest where I was raised and where my sister still lives.

So I am starting October 1.  The "whys" so far are:

1) Clean out the toxins

2) Mentally refocus

5 minutes ago, julieinCA said:

Not to begin with a sob story but I've started and stopped numerous Whole30s this year but my stress level was at an all time high and led ultimately to an all time high of grief.  I spent 2018 watching my husband first get an amputation, then have 2 heart attacks and ultimately succumb to kidney failure on September 2nd.   I need to analyze why I am starting a Whole30 more in detail but I am definitely needing to clean toxins out of my body and regain a sense of who I am.  I was with him for sixteen years (married for 15) and I don't remember who I was before I met him.  We had an absolute blast together and I am so lucky to have had those years with him.  We were lucky we had THAT many years together.

But now it's time for me to rediscover myself.  And I believe cleaning out my body will help me focus my brain better.  And, without my husband, it's a lot easier to ditch the grains.  :-/  I've also booked a trip to Yosemite during the week after Christmas.  I need to relearn how to travel by myself.  This is with a group of strangers (yikes) but later on I'll do solo travel.  But this is the first Christmas without him and I am off work.  That would make for some very long days.

I'm also going to be selling our condo and heading back home to the Midwest where I was raised and where my sister still lives.

So I am starting October 1.  The "whys" so far are:

1) Clean out the toxins

2) Mentally refocus

I am so sorry for your loss. Grief can wreak havoc on the body so I think this could be really good for you, as long as you are emotionally ready. I found that the Whole30 process has been really stressful for me (I have an extremely unhealthy relationship to food and am very picky), so for me, I had to wait a bit longer to be ready to tackle the task. I spent 7 months of this last year visiting my dad in the ICU until he eventually died in April. Like you, we also saw him through amputations, heart attacks, and kidney failure during this time (he was on dialysis for years and was in ICU because he had a heart pump installed as a last ditch effort to give him enough time to get a heart and kidney transplant). Every person's journey with grief is different. For me, adding a diet in the immediate aftermath of his death would have been a guarantee fail. For others, it may provide a welcome distraction, not to mention the amazing health benefits. I encourage you to do what feels right for you. I am currently trying to encourage my mom to do the Whole30 since she has had a lot of physical distress since her husband died and I think resetting her body could help. Anyways, I wish you the best!

Just posting here to keep this bumping up. 

I'm going to make an Instant Pot pork  recipe from Nom Nom Paleo this weekend.  "Instant Pot Magic Pork".  I haven't used my Instant Pot in forever as my husband wasn't a fan of the recipes I'd made.  I think it was the Instant Pot concept versus the food itself but, truthfully, his appetite had been dwindling so much the past year, there wasn't much point.

At any rate I like to do the cook up that's in Well Fed Weeknights.  It has you make salad dressing, mayo, chicken, crudites, hard boiled eggs and something else I'm not remembering as I haven't done it for a while.  Anyway she walks you through when to do what and I got through it within a little over an hour.  And had all that food ready for me to just grab and eat.  It helped immensely with meal prep and, since I carry my lunch in to work, completely helpful there.

So it is likely I'll do all that and do the pork recipe and I'll be in good shape for Week 1.

I dug out my Whole30 Day by Day book I had ordered before the last hospitalization of my husband (after which I simply threw up my hands and said "Another time maybe.") and it's on my nightstand ready to go.  I'll review that this weekend as well as my Whole30 book and It Starts With Food which I consider essential reading.

In the meantime, I need to finish the lasagna I made last weekend and get that all out of my system and fridge!  Shortly after Randy passed I actually was going to do this and had cleaned my cupboards, fridge and freezer of the Taboo stuff but then I realized I wasn't ready to do this.  So my kitchen is in pretty good shape.  I just need to find my Instant Pot and my mason jars. 

<BUMP>

Got my shopping list ready for the weekend.  I ended up just freezing the rest of the lasagna.  I know --- drama.   Anyway.  Just posting to keep it findable.   I celebrated my last Friday before W30 with a donut.  Don't chastise me.  I had to do it.

One of the things I'm working on simultaneously is clearing out the house and giving it a thorough cleaning.  I can't wait to quit my job and move back to Indiana.  I think I'll probably have to wait at least 6 months though.  We'll see.  One never knows.

Just got a note from my benefits administration that they were removing Randy as a dependent.  Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.  It kills.

Day zero

Food is prepped, lunch is packed.  My Whole30 Day by Day is at my side. A countdown calendar is on my fridge. Dishes are done for the week. Instant Pot redeemed from its exile. 

I'll pickup eggs tomorrow on my way home.

Breakfast: chicken thigh with mayo and asparagus

Lunch: Magic Pork, sautéed broccoli slaw, cucumber salad

Dinner: Omelet, cauliflower ric

Archived