Round 1 Done! Results for a Mid 30's guy

Rookie

Hi everyone. I'm a lurker and first time poster.  I just wanted to thank everyone for this forum.  I browsed it a lot to get me through, and finished my first round of Whole30 yesterday.  I thought I might write a quick post to help someone else someday.

About me:  I'm a mid 30's guy with a desk job and two kids.  For a decade, I've eaten junk and my body is paying for it.  I'm 5'8".  Ten years ago, I weighed 160.  On January 1, 2018, I weighted 191.8.  I got motivated and started watching what I was eating and walking a fair amount, and through that I dropped about 10 pounds.  Then, over a few months, I was stuck at 182 with no meaningful fluctuation.  I wanted a jump start and decided to try Whole30.

30 days later, I'm 170.4, which is 11.6 pounds of loss.  More importantly, I feel much better, am motivated to get where I want to be, and am dedicated to healthier eating.  I'm so glad I did this.

Things I did right:  I stuck to the plan, eating only permitted foods, and didn't break.

Things I wish I had done: I didn't exercise at all.  I wish I had.  Some days I just felt so tired.  I should have increased fat and pushed through.

What I relied on too much:  I definitely ate too much fruit and, towards the end, potato. 

What I learned:  I have self control.  My body is my responsibility.  Also, it turns out I enjoy cooking and I actually like most vegetables.   Who knew?

What now?  Now I'm in the reentry phase, and I'm going to do that for myself to see if I have any hidden intolerance.  Once I'm done with that - regardless of what it shows - I intend to go minimal dairy, avoid added sugars, and say no to bread for - well - foreever. Also, I'm determined to get back to 160 and reshape my body, so I'm starting a weight training and cardio plan.

That's about it.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great stuff. Amazing what you can learn about your body - and your capacity for a little self-discipline - through this program, isn't it?

I'm nine nine months removed from my first W30 month (I've done two this year) but I use the lessons daily and the results have been better than I could have hoped (I'll spare the details here, but I've written about it a few times on this forum "Achieving is Believing" thread).

One specific response to your post: The point you made about exercise is spot-on. I combined a commitment to fitness with my W30 eating habits, which I'm sure has had a huge impact on my weight loss (nearly 60 pounds). Today, I am in the gym or yoga studio about four days a week and exercise is something I schedule into my day and which I look forward to doing  - and never would have thought that possible. 

Congrats again on the great start - good luck on the rest of your journey. 

Cheers - 

ML

awesome...i am at day 23 today and i am encouraged newsland33 as you write.   i am hovering around the 403-6 pound range and hoping to see it drop...i know i am not supposed to weight but my accountability partners insist on a weight report daily.  i am 6' 8" tall so time can be limited in this life if i don't take this seriously.  at 40 years old.  i started at 422 pounds so i have dropped aways already but had a bad day yesterday with a fine dining experience for a customer appreciation...i wasn't prepared and tried to do my best and still didn't do well there.  had regular ranch dressing and mashed potatoes...and i felt it all night...definitely can't do that again.  today i am pounding water until supper time to "fast" through that day yesterday.  

• 3 months later...

Archived