Sugar Reintro... not what I expected

AMYANN88

One of my main reasons for doing the Whole30 every time is my sugar addiction. Multiple times because I always go back. On this round, day 2 I had the most glorious dream about cake and every dessert you can think of which kept it on my mind the ENTIRE time. My body was fine without it but my emotional self wanted cake every single day. So day 35 I decided to indulge and hope to get it off my mind so I could reintro other things. I wish I could say it didn't taste good or I only had a single serving but I hit it HARD. That was yesterday and today I feel fine. What the heck?! I can't understand why I don't have a serious sugar hangover today. I know it's probably not the most healthy approach but on the plus side I didn't crave sugar today.

I will admit I'm sceptical about the whole sugar hangover thing. Do I feel awful after eating a whole bag of gummies in one sitting? Of course! But feeling like I've had a big night out the day after a piece of cake? I don't see why I would. Sugar isn't a foreign concept to the body - everything we eat is processed to glucose by the liver. Eating it as already glucose makes it hit the bloodstream faster, but that's really it.

My grandparents ate cake every day and they never seemed to suffer for it. Sugar isn't an allergen, and intolerance of it is incredibly rare (fructose aside). Sugar is being majorly demonised at the moment - it's like fat in the 90s. There is no question that it's often "empty" calories, unless you need a boost of energy ASAP (think marathon runners and the like), but it's not only natural (yup, even the refined stuff!) but our bodies actually produce it. Our bodies of course produce a lot of things that an excess of would be a very bad idea (acid, formaldehyde to name a couple) but as far as non-toxic substances floating around in there, sugar (glucose) is a big one.

So I'm interested to see how my sugar reintro goes, but I'm one of the folk who is expecting sugar to be the least of my issues. 

1 hour ago, AMYANN88 said:

I've made myself sick before eating to much candy so I guess I just expected something worse after not having it for 30 days. I am thankful I don't want more today and can stop focusing on it.

Oh, me too. It's one of the reasons I'm doing this, sugar is my weakness. I will binge eating candy until I'm ill. But i know it's a volume thing and that a "normal" amount of sugar shouldn't really affect me badly. It's keeping to that normal amount that is the struggle!!

51 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Oh, me too. It's one of the reasons I'm doing this, sugar is my weakness. I will binge eating candy until I'm ill. But i know it's a volume thing and that a "normal" amount of sugar shouldn't really affect me badly. It's keeping to that normal amount that is the struggle!!

Yes! I don’t want just one mini Reese’s. I want them all! I’ve learned I’m not an “everything in moderation person”

18 hours ago, AMYANN88 said:

Yes! I don’t want just one mini Reese’s. I want them all! I’ve learned I’m not an “everything in moderation person”

From past experience, I've learned that individually wrapped items are best when it comes to any "indulgence" in candy, cake, etc. I might have more willpower since completing 30 days off sugar, maybe... I haven't tested that yet (I've had sugar but I haven't sat down with one huge cake or a pan full of brownies within reach). But what's worked in the past has been to get candies that were wrapped individually, so I'm able to tell myself "just one chocolate bar" and only eat one little piece of chocolate (whereas if I opened a regular-sized bar it'd be way tempting to eat the whole thing)... likewise, for desserts I'll sometimes buy the little individual key lime pie or a pack of 2 slices of cake (and give one to my husband).

• 3 months later...

Does a 'sugar hangover' indicate an issue with your blood sugar? I definitely noticed a sugar hangover the next day after eating an otherwise-compliant dessert. But @SchrodingersCat is right... sugar in itself shouldn't be an issue if your system can handle the amount of sugar you put into it. Trouble is, I didn't eat that much (I've never been a 'no brakes' kind of eater) and I noticed mild fatigue, a sort of clamminess about my mouth sort of like dehydration, and a headache that felt like a wine hangover headache. 

(I wrote elsewhere about the fact that when I eat wheat bread I fall asleep. My maternal grandfather has diabetes and 2 of his daughters have hypoglycemia, so now I'm worried that I'm on the track to get diabetes myself. I'm wondering if I should just switch to a keto diet and nip this in the bud for life.)

Archived