Reintro Day 9 - craving vs missing some foods

These past few days I've been missing some foods. Like, in a sad way thinking about whether I'll eat them again. For example, I was at the Adelaide RV show yesterday on a beautiful summer day and I was recalling my previous visit to the show 2 years ago when I stopped for a break midday and had an affogato (a dollop of ice cream in an espresso) and a lamington (white cake slice dipped in chocolate glaze and dusted in coconut). It was lovely - sitting under a sprawling gum tree listening to the rosellas and, basically, mainlining sugar. Yesterday midday, I refilled my water bottle from the warmish tap and carried on. 

The difference is more than just do I eat that or not - and it isn't a craving. I didn't want the sugar yesterday - my dragon is behaving quite nicely and I am happy with that. And, I didn't return home and deep dive into a substitue fix so, that's not it. But I feel a little loss. Like I am grieving sugar and all its related sweet treats because my intention is to not eat it ever again - like never. But, I am going to miss it.

I'm an abstainer - there is no moderation for me - never has been. I know from all the years that I maintained my 85+ lb weight loss that I need to stay away from triggering foods. And, I know that, yes menopause has been hard, but the reason I regained those 30lb has as much to do with an afternoon snack of affogato and lamington as in does hormonal craziness.  I also know that right now, I feel great. My energy is amazing. My stamina is outstanding. I feel less anxious and my mood is elevated. I also don't have waves of hormonal heat wash over my menopausal body out of the blue. And, I'm losing weight - how much I don't know  but I can feel it leave my body. So, I have to go back to abstaining from the things I know I don't need to reintroduce to experiment on - sugar is a no go. The W30 talks about guidelines for determining if something is worth it but - when it comes to my sugar dragon, nothing is worth her reawakening.

So, I'm having a little sadness about missing my old frenemy. Random thoughts come into my head like "oh, no more Dairy Queen peanut buster parfaits!" and I feel a bit sad. 

That's understandable, the loss of anything that usually gives pleasure (even if it also brings pain - our brains are good at missing that bit!) will being grief. That's a good way of describing it. And our culture is SO centred around food, that there's a knock on effect of missing the social or environmental situation that comes with the food. 

I'm glad you're getting good weather!!

Such great weather! Much nicer than the repeated poundings of snow and ice back home. yes - I haven't had to deal much with social expectation around food. Although my kids wanted pizza last night but I didn't because I still, at that point, hadn't reintroduced grain or dairy. They had pizza - I did not :) I did have avo-toast this morning though - no immediate consequences. Hamburgers this evening, with bun then evaluate tomorrow and Monday.

Off to the beach tomorrow - who can be sad at the beach? B)

Archived