Reintro Day 15 - The W30 Lifestyle

I ate cheese this week. My daughter was slicing off a piece to add to her lunch sandwich and I decided to eat it. I didn't want it necessarily so it didn't meet Melissa's "worth it" standard but, I did want to see what impact it has (my first dairy) so I went for it. It felt gluggy in my mouth - I guess I've become used to needing to really chew everything I eat (I hadn't thought about this before but meat, fruit and veg are definitely chewing foods! W30 = lots of kitchen time + lots of chewing!) and cheddar cheese is a bit gluggy. I ate it. Meh. Oh well. Within an hour I suffered a bit of indigestion but nothing really uncomfortable and the next day I had more flattus than I've had since I started this W30 thing so, I probably do have some lactose intolerance. I'm not convinced I'm up for a full on test of dairy - cheese, yogurt and milk all in one day. I suspect it wouldn't be pleasant. 

Last night we had pesto pasta - I knew we were having it in advance so, around 4PM, I cooked myself a hamburger patty with fried onions and mushrooms. Pasta is a food careening down a hill with no brakes for me and this thinking ahead and loading up on protein saved me from deep diving into that delicious penne smothered in garlic and basil and parmesan. Managed to have just a small serving and allowed myself a little extra parmesan - no impact from that cheese today. So, maybe dairy will be okay in small, occasional doses. I don't miss it though so, perhaps I will leave it like sugar - not going to fuss if there's a little cheese on my pasta or whey in my chorizo but abstain from that cheese platter. (Once when I accompanied Hubs to a work event and felt very anxious and out of sorts, I parked myself next to the cheese tray. Long story short - I looked down and all the cheese was gone. I probably ate a pound (1/2 kilo) of cheese without even noticing I was doing so).

This week I've had toast, a homemade wheat tortilla and pasta. No ill effects. I did decrease my starchy veg those days to accommodate the extra carbs BUT, I don't want to do that as ageneral rule. Starchy carbs are WAY more nutritious than bread and pasta. Funny how that fact eluded me before my W30 and now it feels etched in my brain! Next week I am heading to a small, seaside town called Port Elliot (@SchrodingersCat - I spend a week at the Beach House hostel every time I'm here - one of my FAVOURITE places on earth!!) for my annual personal retreat and I will return 100% to W30 principles. I'm looking forward to it. 

6 minutes ago, Lorna from Canada said:

I ate cheese this week. My daughter was slicing off a piece to add to her lunch sandwich and I decided to eat it. I didn't want it necessarily so it didn't meet Melissa's "worth it" standard but, I did want to see what impact it has (my first dairy) so I went for it. It felt gluggy in my mouth - I guess I've become used to needing to really chew everything I eat (I hadn't thought about this before but meat, fruit and veg are definitely chewing foods! W30 = lots of kitchen time + lots of chewing!) and cheddar cheese is a bit gluggy. I ate it. Meh. Oh well. Within an hour I suffered a bit of indigestion but nothing really uncomfortable and the next day I had more flattus than I've had since I started this W30 thing so, I probably do have some lactose intolerance. I'm not convinced I'm up for a full on test of dairy - cheese, yogurt and milk all in one day. I suspect it wouldn't be pleasant. 

Last night we had pesto pasta - I knew we were having it in advance so, around 4PM, I cooked myself a hamburger patty with fried onions and mushrooms. Pasta is a food careening down a hill with no brakes for me and this thinking ahead and loading up on protein saved me from deep diving into that delicious penne smothered in garlic and basil and parmesan. Managed to have just a small serving and allowed myself a little extra parmesan - no impact from that cheese today. So, maybe dairy will be okay in small, occasional doses. I don't miss it though so, perhaps I will leave it like sugar - not going to fuss if there's a little cheese on my pasta or whey in my chorizo but abstain from that cheese platter. (Once when I accompanied Hubs to a work event and felt very anxious and out of sorts, I parked myself next to the cheese tray. Long story short - I looked down and all the cheese was gone. I probably ate a pound (1/2 kilo) of cheese without even noticing I was doing so).

This week I've had toast, a homemade wheat tortilla and pasta. No ill effects. I did decrease my starchy veg those days to accommodate the extra carbs BUT, I don't want to do that as ageneral rule. Starchy carbs are WAY more nutritious than bread and pasta. Funny how that fact eluded me before my W30 and now it feels etched in my brain! Next week I am heading to a small, seaside town called Port Elliot (@SchrodingersCat - I spend a week at the Beach House hostel every time I'm here - one of my FAVOURITE places on earth!!) for my annual personal retreat and I will return 100% to W30 principles. I'm looking forward to it. 

I'm so nervous about reintro-ing dairy - not because it might make me sick, but because it will break my heart if cheese is a big issue. I can handle some gastric distress, but if it's the cause of my migraines, I'll be heartbroken!

Port Elliott is gorgeous!! I'm jealous of your retreat :D

Archived