Si's Whole 30

Si-Ya

This will be my second day of Whole 30 and my third attempt. 

I thought this would be easy as I have been following the paleo diet for a few years and was on keto for four years before embarking on the paleo kick. What I have found with both diets is you do become a bit of a cultist. Keto is the anti-carb movement and I truly felt that if I  ate a potato I would get fat. When I finally ended keto I made a bowl of root vegetables and stared at it for ten minutes before believing I could truly eat that many carbs. It was one of the most delicious meals I've had in this life and it was because of how much my body needed those roots.

I've never actually been fat in my life and nor have I been anorexic and nor I have I truly felt beautiful for more than a day at a time. I would believe it for hours and then a mirror check would lead to self-doubt and fear. I feared being ugly because I thought it defined my self worth in many ways. The human I have recently met has helped my soul to feel beautiful and now I am taking on those reigns to feel self-empowered within my own beauty. Instead of getting rid of the scale I want to get rid of the mirror. 

Paleo was fun but I get sick of labeling a zucchini as gf, low carb, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, sugar-free and AIP rather than delicious, makes epic zoodles and is a gorgeous color. Whole 30 really feels like falling in love with food without the labels. In my last two attempts I broke Whole 30 on "accident" by eating a meal I did not know used canola oil and so I started over. The second time I was at work and getting trained for a brewery/ restaurant I was serving with and felt I needed to try the food to create that taste experience for the guest with personal knowledge on how delicious or funky it is. 

From the first attempt, I made it twenty days and the main thing I was cutting out was white rice as I had been indulging in that fluffy sweetness nearly every day since Aun was. I found that I was constantly hungry and rarely felt satiated when it was introduced to my mouth day after day. After just twenty days I felt far more in control of hunger and felt less spikes in BS. I had suspected it was wreaking a little havok but it was beautiful to confirm that I could feel satiated again and would not need to eat five snacks a day. It really was ruling my mind with a constant hunger, not wanting to eat, and finding coconut aminos and ghee in a bowl of fluff before me.  I have found if there is something you eat that you feel you can't stop yourself from eating it is probably addictive.

So here goes the third attempt.

Yesterday: 

Breakfast: watermelon and a gut digestion pill for gluten (Fred made a roast and I forgot to ask what was in it).

Lunch: NOMS! Broccoli puree with lemon and nutritional yeast with palm shortening laid in a lettuce leaf. Two slices of thick smoked turkey.

Dinner: Sprouted pecans, pumpkin puree with lemon and ny in lettuce. Also scrummy. 

Exercise: Half of the middle Arhayas workout with some stretches and trampoline bounces for ten minutes. 

Feels: Mind grog from the gluten in the previous meal that I've correlated from years of randomly thinking I could eat it. I allowed self-forgiveness for not having asked when I knew it was a possibility he had used flour and loads of self-loving thoughts that really made it through me and felt beautiful. I'm excited to complete a full round.

Um...I’ll try to say this as gently as possible but your meals are lacking in protein and fat. Have you seen the meal template?

Also eating fruit alone for a meal -especially for breakfast- is not recommended. Lastly, canola oil is ok if you’re going out to eat or something, you don’t have to start over because of it, just FYI.

Haha very true according to that log. I poured olive oil onto the turkey and tend to add an extra tablespoon of fat to each meal. Normally I do more than fruit but I was feeling to sick to handle more that day.

The last couple of days I had some ground beef, carrot top pesto and various whole 30 things. I had weird times at the job and did not keep on the track of logging.

Today:

Breakfast: Two eggs and spiralized zucchini noodles with graham marsala, oregano, time and palm shortening.

Lunch: Chicken salad.

Dinner: Japanese sweet potato with thyme and palm shortening. 

Feelings: I feel pretty high in energy and for the last few days I was eating very low carb and so had a sweet potato to avoid the ketosis feelings as that tends to drain too many nutrients from my body. 

Hi there! I have to say it seems like you're too hard on yourself with declaring your previous attempts failures because of canola oil. The W30 rules specifically allow for canola oil because it's almost possible to avoid while eating out. So while you don't want to be cooking with canola at home, there's no need to consider it a failure if you have an occasional meal out that includes canola oil.

Good luck finding your groove this time around, and make sure to eat enough!

Thank you doubledee! That is so good to know. I have had issues with inflammation from it in the past so I assumed it stopped the healing process. I will keep that in mind for the future.

Yesterday for breakfast I had three squashes with veggie broth and nutritional yeast flakes. I was feeling very sick so did not eat as much protein as is recommended, but I did not eat rice and break the Whole 30 so I count it as a win.

I had the same soup for lunch and then for dinner had bacon, some beef and spaghetti squash with a broccoli puree.

I think I'm definitely to the nausea part but my mind felt very clear and clean. It feels really beautiful to love the feeling of being in my body and to really love the flavor of what I'm eating. There are times I'll eat something that was a bit of a fail and have stronger cravings to eat something less healthy just because I  know it tastes good. Nutritional yeast has been suuuuper helpful in creating so much mouth love.

Double Dee: Oh god yes. I just sprinkled it on some cauliflower with olive oil and it really is like cheese flakes with way more nutrition and amino acids. I also add it to soup and puree it (about a tablespoon per cup). 

Yesterdays's Noms: Two W30 compliant turkey hot dogs. One for lunch and one for dinner with lamb's quarter in olive oil and lemon juice for the veggies.

Breakfast: Egg and broccoli puree with spaghetti squash.

Today:

Egg and lamb's quarter with olive oil and lemon juice.

Lunch: turkey hot dog with cauliflower and olive oil with nutritional yeast flakes and celery salt. Half a cucumber.

Dinner will be: Half a cucumber, turkey hot dog, lamb's quarter with olive oil, lemon juice and celery salt.

I really love how I'm no lo longer viewing food as a reward. Food feels more for nutrients than excitement. I get excited over flavors and what it tastes like in the moment, but it is not my constant thought throughout the day. The first few days I would be scared I would break and thought of pecans and eating snacks all the time so I wouldn't cave, and now I feel so at ease and comfortable with the diet. 

For breakfast/lunch today I had Lamb shoulder with lamb's quarter and olive oil. I woke up pretty late due to some heavy cramping so I just had the two together.

For the evening meal I had half of a spaghetti squash with turkey and a few slices of bacon. The squash had a carrot pesto with capers, olives, and olive oil. It was mouth bliss and I will be making it often.

Today I feel a crazy beautiful amount of energy and a sense of alertness I haven't felt since being on keto. I feel very clean and grounded and very confident in myself with this sense of strength that overtakes any sense of anxiety or fear. 

Yesterday there was spaghetti squash again fried in bacon grease with bacon (it was definitely better with the olive oil and more al dente style) with sauerkraut.

For lunch I consumed compliant food that I honestly do not remember and for dinner had a sweet potato that I spiralized into curling fries and slices with an egg.

Drinks: Water kefir and water.

Today so far I've had a couple slices of cucumber with bacon and a local green covered in olive oil, lemon juice, celery salt and basil.

For lunch I will have a half a cucumber with an egg and the rest of the local green (got it at the market and it is native to texas but do not recall the name). My memory is off due to a screaming child in the night throwing off the sleeping cycle a bit.

Dinner will be zucchni squash either spiralized or liquified with nutritional yeast and lamb shoulder.

I've been having some disrupted bowel movements and I'm not sure why on those since it is day nine now, but I think that can be normal as the body clears. I have not slipped on the diet and do not actually feel sick so I'll think of it as beautiful clearing. Going to take it easy today and just do stretches and walking as a workout. 

Hope you are all doing well on your journey.

Looks like I've forgotten to post in the last few days. We are about to move and so it has been a tornado of love and adventure but also chaos to find the right place to live. I've kept with whole 30 and had bacon, turkey meatballs with nutritional yeast (soooooooooooooooooooooooo good), arugula, blueberries, water kefir and carrots and squash.

Today I've had a scrambled egg with thyme and celery salt as well as pecans and blueberries. I missed the protein so I'll be having a ball for the evening meal with Japanese sweet potato and cucumber. Possibly with another egg as the last one was so scrumptious my mouth is asking for another already.

For breakfast/lunch today I had Lamb shoulder with lamb's quarter and olive oil. I woke up pretty late due to some heavy cramping so I just had the two together.

For the evening meal I had half of spaghetti squash with turkey and a few slices of bacon. The squash had a carrot pesto with capers, olives, and olive oil. It was mouth bliss and I will be making it often.

Today I feel a crazy beautiful amount of energy and a sense of alertness I haven't felt since being on keto. I feel very clean and grounded and very confident in myself with this sense of strength that overtakes any sense of anxiety or fear. 

Archived