Wondering about pre and post workout nutrition in the a.m.

Melelina

I am trying to figure out what and when to eat. I have seen the template info but am still confused. I was running anywhere between 5K and 10K most days up until a couple of months ago. Then I started having digestive issues - flare-ups with my reflux, and a few other TMI symptoms so had to back off. I had a bunch of medical tests run and they all came back clear so I am looking to my nutrition to fix things and that led me to ISWF.

So tomorrow I am starting my first Whole30. I will also be back to my runs, starting with 5K four or five days a week.

I plan on running early in the morning so - following the template - I was thinking I would have a couple of hard boiled eggs just prior, along with a small amount of coconut milk in my tea.

Then my next meal, after my run, becomes which (???) - a post workout meal with protein and a carb dense veggie - or - my breakfast (Meal 1) with protein, veggies, fat, and a wee bit of fruit?

If I make it a post workout meal, I don't think it will sustain me until my lunch. But if I make it my meal 1, my nutrition isn't really a recovery meal.

I have gained weight with my inactivity due to my health issues and I really don't want to overeat so I don't think I need a pre-workout snack, followed by a post workout meal, then three other meals.

Oh, and one more question - if I make it my post workout meal with a sweet potato or something like that, should that be my only starchy carb for the day?

Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.

IMO, I think it should be your meal one.

I have the same pattern as you. I'm a morning runner too and run about the same distance every day. I find your meal one style of breakfast to be filling and the variety of protein, fats and carbs is just fine for restoring glycogen.

I don't know if you are active later in the day but I like the sweet potatoes/winter squash in the afternoon to fuel the evening dance or yoga class. (sometimes I dance 3 hours a night so carb dense veggies are more ideal for me in the afternoon).

Everybody is different, of course, but I find that if I eat eggs before a run, then have a small recovery meal, then have a big breakfast, that actually sets me up to overeat because my body thinks it's going to get something every couple-few hours. If you make meal one the recovery meal too, you will go hours without even thinking about the next meal.

Thanks for the input, Kaleena. I appreciate it. I am going to try what you suggested. I am coming off of years of eating every two hours so if I can make that transition easier by not sending my body the wrong message, great!

I am also coming off of a carb timing regimen so I am going to have to figure out how much and when to eat the starchy carbs if they aren't post workout.

IMO, I think it should be your meal one.

I have the same pattern as you. I'm a morning runner too and run about the same distance every day. I find your meal one style of breakfast to be filling and the variety of protein, fats and carbs is just fine for restoring glycogen.

I don't know if you are active later in the day but I like the sweet potatoes/winter squash in the afternoon to fuel the evening dance or yoga class. (sometimes I dance 3 hours a night so carb dense veggies are more ideal for me in the afternoon).

Everybody is different, of course, but I find that if I eat eggs before a run, then have a small recovery meal, then have a big breakfast, that actually sets me up to overeat because my body thinks it's going to get something every couple-few hours. If you make meal one the recovery meal too, you will go hours without even thinking about the next meal.

Thanks for the input, Kaleena. I appreciate it. I am going to try what you suggested. I am coming off of years of eating every two hours so if I can make that transition easier by not sending my body the wrong message, great!

I am also coming off of a carb timing regimen so I am going to have to figure out how much and when to eat the starchy carbs if they aren't post workout.

I'm also coming off the multi meals. It's been quite the experience and I'm only on day 6!

Thanks for the topic! Much appreciated. On Day 6, ran 4 miles & struggled the last mile. I am training for my first ultra marathon & struggling with pre/post wo snacks especially pre wo snack.

Thanks again :)

PS I started Whole 30 due to my crazy GI issues too. Eating "healthy" yet feeling sick wasn't working

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also wondering about pre and post work out meals. As I understand your discussion if I wo in the morning, before breakfast, it's not nessecary to eat a post wo meal - instead you eat a regular breakfast (unless it's much later). And I guess the same goes for if I wo after dinner: no need for pre wo meal and maybe just a small post wo? So to me it sounds as if the original meal plan goes for when you wo several hours between meals?

Also, I'm wondering how to think when doing yoga. I don't do any very exhausting yoga, I barely get sweaty so to speak, but use it as an opportunity for stretching etc. Does this count as wo at all? The yoga teacher says that we shouldn't eat or drink several hours before and only have green tea and a small snack afterwards.

Archived