If I just HAVE to have a snack?

I know snacks are not suggested, but if I need to have something, a handful of almonds and small amount of fruit ok? One of the habits I want to break is snacking at night, but I think I didn't have enough at dinner on day 2 and 3, so I had some raw walnuts while I was watching tv with the hubby. Sound ok? Should I have just sucked it up? I'm so blah this first week. Missing coffee (sweet, creamy, coffee... black is icky) and peanut butter.

Snacks are okay IF YOU NEED THEM. As you get used to eating this way, you'll find that you're snacking out of habit or because you are having a craving, not because you are actually hungry. Make sure you are having enough fat with each meal - if you're stingy on that, you'll feel hungry sooner than you're next meal. One suggestion that always works for me: ask yourself if you'd eat grilled chicken or fish and veggies. If you wouldn't, it's just a craving. If you would, you're hungry. If you're hungry, then eat your snack like a small meal - not just fruit or nuts. The fact that you snacked on walnuts while watching TV sounds a little more like you were snacking out of habit maybe. If you do need to snack, sit down at the table and really focus on what you're eating - otherwise the distraction of the TV will cause you to eat beyond the point of fullness. Feeling blah is totally normal - this is a huge change for most people. It'll get easier as you get used to eating this way and you'll be surprised how soon that nighttime snacking habit is a thing of the past. Good luck to you!

• 2 years later...

No one has to have a snack.   Eat your 3 compliant template meals with 4-5 hours inbetween them.  If you have T2, this is the best way to level out your blood sugar.   I've noted that those who constantly snack seldom reach the Tiger Blood phase of the program.   It's not even a blip on their radar.

It's not overrated.  It's real and it is a reward for those who stop rewarding themselves with constant snacks.

Archived