Traces of soy oil

Susanbagony

So last night, day 25 of whole 30, I was so excited to get steamed crabs to celebrate summer here in Baltimore!  I asked the right questions and dove in.  This morning I woke with a slight head ache? What could it be?  I have been feeling like a rockstar for the last week.  Well I reviewed my intire day and couldn’t figure it out finally I recalled The seafood house we got the crabs from (who’s staff had said no soy) well the manager got on the line and said that there is soy!!!  Less the 2% traces of soy oil used in the processing of the spices!   NOW WHAT?    I have been so careful.  

First, don't beat yourself up. You asked questions and tried to be as prepared and informed as possible. For the future, you'll know to ask about spice blends and whatnot as well. (I've run into something similar, so I tend to be overly-specific when making sure I can eat restaurant food.)

Second, just observe as you complete your originally planned Whole30, and review at the end to see if you feel like you need more time to reach the "baseline" before starting to reintroduce foods. Keep notes to see if all you seem to suffer is a headache, or if it also seems to throw your gut out of whack, or any other issues that might pop up. After day 30, if you feel like you've had reactions and want to give it more time, do so.

Third, remember that not everything is related to food. Sometimes a headache is just a headache and has nothing to do with what's eaten. It's a worthwhile thing to monitor and see if you react, certainly, because it's lining up with the timing on the traces of soy... but it's entirely possible it has some other source, and that the timing is coincidental.

• Whole30 Certified Coach
22 hours ago, Susanbagony said:

So last night, day 25 of whole 30, I was so excited to get steamed crabs to celebrate summer here in Baltimore!  I asked the right questions and dove in.  This morning I woke with a slight head ache? What could it be?  I have been feeling like a rockstar for the last week.  Well I reviewed my intire day and couldn’t figure it out finally I recalled The seafood house we got the crabs from (who’s staff had said no soy) well the manager got on the line and said that there is soy!!!  Less the 2% traces of soy oil used in the processing of the spices!   NOW WHAT?    I have been so careful.  

Hi there!

Yes, I totally agree with Jihanna, don't beat yourself up. I think it's great that you took the necessary precautions of making sure you were informed before eating out. 

Definitely keep moving forward with your planned Whole30, and your planned reintroduction. As Jihanna mentioned, not everything is related to food. You could have just woken up with a headache- that will happen occasionally. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water as well. 

Keep notes as to how you feel today and through out the rest of your Whole30 and reintroduction. The reintro will really tell you which foods have negative impacts on how you feel. 

Keep it up, and let us know if there's anything else we can do to help support you during your journey :)

Archived