Am I Eating Enough? Extreme Lethargy Day 9

Hello! I am on Day 9 of my first Whole30. I am struggling with extreme lethargy and brain fog. I was hoping someone could take a look at a couple days of food logs and give me some feedback? A little about me....40 year old female, current weight 260, and I work a sedentary job. I do CrossFit 3x a week and try to do something active the other 4 days, i.e., go for a walk, play with my son at the park, etc. Next week I plan on adding in two weightlifting days. I go to CrossFit after work and get home around 7:00. I eat dinner around 8:00.

Below are my food logs for the last couple days:

Monday

Breakfast - .5 cup roasted white potatoes; 1 serving egg casserole (total recipe = 8 eggs, .5 cup egg whites, 2 oz applegate farms ham, 4 slices paleo sugar free bacon, 1 cup chopped broccoli. Makes 4 servings)

Lunch - 1 serving chicken sheet pan meal (1 chicken thigh, 3/4 cups of sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, apples, shallots mixure); 3 oz baby carrots and 1 wholly guacamole cup; 3/4 cup cherries.

Snack - Apple + almond butter; 1 serving dried pineapple

Preworkout - Rx Bar

Dinner - 1 serving of barbacoa, 1 wholly guacamole cup, 1 cup brussel sprouts cooked in olive oil

Tuesday

Breakfast, lunch, dinner = same as above except I added a banana at breakfast.

Preworkout - 1 hardboiled egg, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 cup almonds, 2 tbs raisins

Any thoughts or advice? One thing I have noticed since starting Whole30 is my sleep has improved drastically. I sleep like the dead. Prior to Whole30, I always woke up several times a night. I am now getting a solid 8-9 hours. I just can't shake the lethargy and brain fog.

• Whole30 Certified Coach
19 hours ago, Christine07 said:

Hello! I am on Day 9 of my first Whole30. I am struggling with extreme lethargy and brain fog. I was hoping someone could take a look at a couple days of food logs and give me some feedback? A little about me....40 year old female, current weight 260, and I work a sedentary job. I do CrossFit 3x a week and try to do something active the other 4 days, i.e., go for a walk, play with my son at the park, etc. Next week I plan on adding in two weightlifting days. I go to CrossFit after work and get home around 7:00. I eat dinner around 8:00.

Below are my food logs for the last couple days:

Monday

Breakfast - .5 cup roasted white potatoes; 1 serving egg casserole (total recipe = 8 eggs, .5 cup egg whites, 2 oz applegate farms ham, 4 slices paleo sugar free bacon, 1 cup chopped broccoli. Makes 4 servings)

Lunch - 1 serving chicken sheet pan meal (1 chicken thigh, 3/4 cups of sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, apples, shallots mixure); 3 oz baby carrots and 1 wholly guacamole cup; 3/4 cup cherries.

Snack - Apple + almond butter; 1 serving dried pineapple

Preworkout - Rx Bar

Dinner - 1 serving of barbacoa, 1 wholly guacamole cup, 1 cup brussel sprouts cooked in olive oil

Tuesday

Breakfast, lunch, dinner = same as above except I added a banana at breakfast.

Preworkout - 1 hardboiled egg, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 cup almonds, 2 tbs raisins

Any thoughts or advice? One thing I have noticed since starting Whole30 is my sleep has improved drastically. I sleep like the dead. Prior to Whole30, I always woke up several times a night. I am now getting a solid 8-9 hours. I just can't shake the lethargy and brain fog.

Hi there!

Let's see if we can troubleshoot a little bit here. First, it is totally normal to till feel very tired on Day 9. Your body is going through major changes and is working really hard right now, so being tired and lethargic is normal. This should pass in the next 5-6 days, though everyone's bodies are different.

I would make sure you have a plated fat with your breakfast. Everything else seems to be there, but you should have 1-2 thumb sized portions of healthy fats with every meal. Try adding 1/2 an avocado to your breakfast casserole.

Try switching up your snack from fruit to maybe sliced veggies and ranch

Your pre-workout meal should be something that's easily digestible, and is meant to send a signal your body that it's time for activity. Instead of an RX bar, try two hard-boiled eggs, or a few strips of beef jerky, or some compliant turkey or chicken. RX bars aren't the best to help kick your sugar dragon, and almonds can be difficult for your body to digest.

For your post-workout meal, you want to make sure you eat as soon as possible, ideally 30 minutes after. Bring it to the gym if you need to. Post-workout meal should be a meal sized portion of protein and easily digestible carbohydrates, like sweet potatoes, for example.

You are doing great, and this is exactly what the forum is here for. Give these suggestions a try, and let me know how they work for you and if you have any other questions. I am here to support you! :)

PS..

The improved sleep is a HUGE non-scale victory!!!

Thank you so much for your response! It makes me feel so much better. I will take your advice on the plated fats, and I did bring veggies and guac for a snack today.

I appreciate your suggestions on the pre/post workout meals. I will try those as well! 

I am really loving my quality of sleep. I haven't slept this well EVER! :)

• Whole30 Certified Coach
1 hour ago, Christine07 said:

Thank you so much for your response! It makes me feel so much better. I will take your advice on the plated fats, and I did bring veggies and guac for a snack today.

I appreciate your suggestions on the pre/post workout meals. I will try those as well! 

I am really loving my quality of sleep. I haven't slept this well EVER! :)

You are so welcome! That's what I'm here for! Definitely keep me posted and let me know how things go :)

Archived