Sign in to follow this  
SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat's "I'm useless at this food freedom thing" Round 3 Diary

Recommended Posts

On 8/12/2019 at 3:55 AM, SchrodingersCat said:

Didn't even think, because I had calamari on my plate, too. It had maybe 2-3 grains of rice and there would have been traces of soy sauce.

What about the broccolini? Not as an allergen, but just as some serious cruciferousness? I have stopped eating brussell sprouts in the day time because the result is not pleasant out in public. 

The yo-yoing - yeah, you have some serious yo-yo's without a doubt. And then the impact of that on your hormones or the hormones' impact on the up and down weight - finding that balance so your system can settle down really is huge. And noticing that this works. It works for me too. I hope I can stick with it or at least return to it quickly and easily. Haha - I know that won't happen without a lot of effort. The regular eating world is too much like a drug.

Congratulations on the store NSV! It's a pretty huge NSV and such a nice one!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Emma said:

What about the broccolini? Not as an allergen, but just as some serious cruciferousness? I have stopped eating brussell sprouts in the day time because the result is not pleasant out in public. 

The yo-yoing - yeah, you have some serious yo-yo's without a doubt. And then the impact of that on your hormones or the hormones' impact on the up and down weight - finding that balance so your system can settle down really is huge. And noticing that this works. It works for me too. I hope I can stick with it or at least return to it quickly and easily. Haha - I know that won't happen without a lot of effort. The regular eating world is too much like a drug.

Congratulations on the store NSV! It's a pretty huge NSV and such a nice one!!

I didn't think it would be the Brocc - I basically live on cruciferous veg without any issues! It's quite strange because nothing has changed. Maybe just a mild bug?

My big wake up on the yoyo was being told that trying to get blood out of my veins was like "trying to nail jelly to a wall" because they've been affected by my fat-thin-fat-thin think. It's SO bad for me and it just has to stop. But my terrible habits are so ingrained, that I can only seem to eat right when following a very strict set of rules. Hence my Whole 30-ing, but I know I need to really adjust my habits for life.

So today I'm pretty flat out and won't get my lunch time walk in, but that's ok. It happens. 

Meal 1: Egg bake and spicy kraut

Meal 2: White chilli chicken soup

Meal : ?!?!? Who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you figured out a good meal 3!  I’m rooting for you!  I hope everyone that is on here that came from yo-yoing weight (including me) can just find a new healthier norm for life...it’s that simple, right?  (I wish.. but it certainly helps that I have found like minded people trying to be healthy everyday.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meal 3 is going to be pork chops with fried pineapple with chilli and coconut aminos (I never have pineapple but bought one for the dinner party that didn't get eaten), with stir fried bok choy, chinese brocc, some other asian greens and mixed mushrooms. Yum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

My big wake up on the yoyo was being told that trying to get blood out of my veins was like "trying to nail jelly to a wall" because they've been affected by my fat-thin-fat-thin think. It's SO bad for me and it just has to stop. But my terrible habits are so ingrained, that I can only seem to eat right when following a very strict set of rules. Hence my Whole 30-ing, but I know I need to really adjust my habits for life.

Eeek - that is a pretty big signal that it is time to make changes, which you are. There was this thing called Bright Line Eating that came up on my Facebook feed once and I looked it up and read about it. I forget what you eat, but I remember that part of the program was establishing a very clean between what you eat and what you don't and you stick to that line for life. The person who started it was once quite heavy and is now quite thin. It's a money making program and I think maybe it involved weighing foods and IDK. I don't care for it, but I'm reminded of it as I eat Whole30 and I definitely find myself playing around with the idea that there are certain foods that trigger addictive behaviors in me. But to stick to something for the rest of my life (hopefully a long one) sounds a bit daunting. Maybe that's why I should be picking up that Food Freedom book because I know it touches on all this.

Dinner sounds good. I love pineapple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blergh, bit of a chunky tummy today. I don't know how else to explain it, I sometimes get this feeling like my stomach is full of jagged pokey rocks. Not super painful or anything, just really uncomfortable. Don't know what causes it!

Had a bit more tummy trouble again last night, so maybe I have a bug. Weird that it only happens of an evening though!

I'm off to Adelaide this weekend to get our house there ready to rent out, and I'm staying at my parents and spending one night on an air mattress at the house. I don't think I have a hope of staying compliant, but I'll do my best to avoid what I can. Food freedom, right?? I'm not going to drink, though - the vodka didn't go down well and I'm loving the lack of vertigo. 

I'll be able to sort my own breakfasts and lunch, so that's all good. The 2 dinners will be a challenge to an extent, though I've floated taking the family out for dinner on the Saturday so I'll dig up something close to compliant on the menu. I might wrangle so I cook on the Sunday night, and keep that compliant too. Mum does love to cook for us though...

Anyway.

Meal 1: Spicy Kraut and hot smoked salmon

Meal 2: White chilli chicken soup

Meal 3: Not sure, actually! I can't remember what's in the freezer... if I had thought, I'd have pulled out the chicken cutlets for crispy skinned chicken, but I didn't, boo.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so the husband has spoken - apparently we have lamb loin chops in the freezer and they're his fav so that's what's for dinner!

I'm going to have them with pan fried sweet potato rounds, sauteed broccolini, asparagus cabbage and cauli in basil pesto. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Ended up not doing the pineapple, but made a stirfry instead with coconut aminos, garlic, sambal, wild ginger powder, tahini, Chinese 5 spice and lime juice. It was delicious. 

3 days vertigo free!!!!!

Wow! That's really tremendously wonderful and sure hints that what you're doing is good for body.

Could the buggy stomach be a reaction to something you're eating each afternoon or evening? Something that maybe you didn't react to before because your system was overloaded? I have no idea, but that theory would probably hold super true for my body. Your stomach thing doesn't quite line up with a virus, though I suppose it could be. Lots of fiber? Too much fiber? 

Your dinner sounds delicious as always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Emma said:

Wow! That's really tremendously wonderful and sure hints that what you're doing is good for body.

Could the buggy stomach be a reaction to something you're eating each afternoon or evening? Something that maybe you didn't react to before because your system was overloaded? I have no idea, but that theory would probably hold super true for my body. Your stomach thing doesn't quite line up with a virus, though I suppose it could be. Lots of fiber? Too much fiber? 

Your dinner sounds delicious as always.

I'm so excited about not having vertigo that I just committed to a 7am fitness class next week hahah. Yikes!

I'm so not sure on the tummy, food definitely hasn't changed, and a virus wouldn't be so selective about time. I guess I'll just ride it out! Odd that it almost coincides with the lack of vertigo, so maybe you're on to something there with the overload!

OK, I've told my Momma that I'm on a restricted diet, and have volunteered as designated driver. I'm picking the restaurant for dinner, and have about as much control over the food as I'm going to get :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Friday, lovely folk!!

Off to Adelaide in the morning, it will be nice to catch up with the family. I keep thinking of things I want to do this weekend, then remembering I'm away, yargh! I'll have to do my food prep Monday afternoon when I'm back.

Meal 1: Spicy Kraut and hot smoked salmon

Meal 2: White chilli chicken soup

Meal 3: Needs to be quick and easy, we have to drop the dog off at the dog sitters, pick up stuff from the store, pack... Though really, it's Friday night so not like it's frantic. I'll think of something.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I'm interstate and at my parents and this was never going to be a compliant weekend. Started the day with the pickles from my husband's burger, then had grilled fish and salad for lunch with lemon juice but I didn't even ask what was on the fish, and ate a few hot chips. Food freedom, right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Food freedom, right?

I think back to the entire container of Ben and Jerry's ice cream I ate. I started with one spoonful and then went back for another, and then another, and then another. I don't know what my justification or reasoning was or if I even was in control.  It will be interesting to notice how you do with the weekend and if things snowball or if it just stays in moderation. Certainly it's nice to join in with what others are doing and having. Have a great weekend!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Emma said:

I think back to the entire container of Ben and Jerry's ice cream I ate. I started with one spoonful and then went back for another, and then another, and then another. I don't know what my justification or reasoning was or if I even was in control.  It will be interesting to notice how you do with the weekend and if things snowball or if it just stays in moderation. Certainly it's nice to join in with what others are doing and having. Have a great weekend!!!

Well, I ended up eating a few oatmeal raising cookies, and some chocolate and some pretzels and too much wine. Not a binge or anything but definitely a "eh, if I'm going to be off plan, I'm going to have what I want". Plan is to get right back on track tomorrow :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Well, I ended up eating a few oatmeal raising cookies, and some chocolate and some pretzels and too much wine. Not a binge or anything but definitely a "eh, if I'm going to be off plan, I'm going to have what I want". Plan is to get right back on track tomorrow :)

Isn't that crazy though! I'm just as likely to do the same thing and have the same thought process (ha - I already did) but when I'm sitting here in Whole30 world, I really don't actually want pretzels or oatmeal cookies or even wine. It's really wild how I don't want those things. So what is the THING that triggers that wanting? That was kinda one of those questions that doesn't really need to be answered. And I don't know if I'd get back on track. I think it took me years last time so huge kudos to you to be able to do so!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I was NOT back to compliant yesterday, but I certainly am today!

Flew home in the afternoon, then did all my food prep for the week. Today I'm tiiiiired and achey. Looking forward to getti ng back on track, though I have a work conference this Friday/Saturday which I won't be able to be 100% compliant for.

Meal 1: Hot smoked salmon and spicy kraut

Meal 2: Green Thai curry tuna patties with mayo, slaw with Asian style dressing (fish sauce, tahini, sambal, coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, olive oil)

Meal 3: Crispy skinned chicken thighs, asparagus, broccolini and cauli sauteed in duck fat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a few thoughts on my weekend away. I said a couple weeks ago that I worry that W30 is making me more disordered, because it reinforces that "on track/off track" dichotomy. This weekend bears that out to some extent. I was "off track" and so I was all over the cookies, chocolate, alcohol, ice cream, and snacking. It was very much 
"well I'm off track so I may as well have all the things I usually wouldn't have", which does not bode well for the whole food freedom thing. I need to really work on the balance. Maybe its time to pick up It Starts With Food, or similar. 

I feel so much better when I am eating compliantly, and that's the key thing for me. And granted, I wouldn't have gone on a 3 day bender for nothing, it was really because I was interstate, at my parents house, quite a festive mood, and things were available which usually aren't. It will be interesting to see how long it takes me to start feeling human again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SchrodingersCat said:

OK, I was NOT back to compliant yesterday, but I certainly am today!

Flew home in the afternoon, then did all my food prep for the week. Today I'm tiiiiired and achey. Looking forward to getti ng back on track, though I have a work conference this Friday/Saturday which I won't be able to be 100% compliant for.

Meal 1: Hot smoked salmon and spicy kraut

Meal 2: Green Thai curry tuna patties with mayo, slaw with Asian style dressing (fish sauce, tahini, sambal, coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, olive oil)

Meal 3: Crispy skinned chicken thighs, asparagus, broccolini and cauli sauteed in duck fat.

SchrodingersCat, do you have a recipe or ingredients for your Thai curry tuna patties? That sounds like something my daughter (vegetarian transitioning to pescatarian) would enjoy. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ArtFossil said:

SchrodingersCat, do you have a recipe or ingredients for your Thai curry tuna patties? That sounds like something my daughter (vegetarian transitioning to pescatarian) would enjoy. Thank you!

Sure! I just used 2 cans of tuna, a couple of big scoops of green Thai curry paste (found a compliant one - Mae Plot brand), 3 eggs, some coconut flour as a binder, and a tablespoon of compliant fish sauce. Mixed it all well and then cooked them in coconut oil! You can do the curry paste to taste - I like them spicy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Sure! I just used 2 cans of tuna, a couple of big scoops of green Thai curry paste (found a compliant one - Mae Plot brand), 3 eggs, some coconut flour as a binder, and a tablespoon of compliant fish sauce. Mixed it all well and then cooked them in coconut oil! You can do the curry paste to taste - I like them spicy!

Thank you! I love the Mae Ploy red curry so I'l have to try their green curry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this