Doubting myself/ progress

Kcarppp

Im on day 18 of my first round of whole 30 and have been feeling a little down lately.  This past week has been rough, ive felt bloated, tired all the time, and pretty moody.  Ive also had some stomach pain and discomfort at times on an off.  When I first started whole 30 I was feeling great and felt like the progress was happening, but ive been doubting myself over the past week.  Ive also started feeling nauseous in the mornings before I eat and sometimes it pops back up during the day.  Anyone else feel these kind of symptoms and have some advice?  I worry that I am not doing this correctly.  I so badly want this to work for me, and I still have hope that this might be a small hurdle in my overall journey.  Ive still got 12 days left and I really want to make the most of them!  Heres what ive been eating, maybe someone has some suggestions/ edits I should make?

Breakfast-

omelet (either 2 whole eggs or one egg and egg whites), cooked onions, peppers, mushroom.  salsa, 1/4 avocado, and about a handful of cherries

Lunch-

cooked kale, roasted veggies (butternut squash, brussel sprouts, and apple) <about 1 3/4 cup of that mixture, chicken (about 1/3-1/2 cup cooked chicken pieces)

I haven't had afternoon snacks really, but if I do its usually a piece of fruit

Dinner- varies but always includes a protein and veggies, sometimes sweet potato

Night snack- fruit, usually mango, banana, apple with almond butter (one of those)

I drink a decent amount of water as well!  

So I don’t have answers but since I didn’t feel great I extended my whole30 to at least 45 days. I have been reading the books and they talk about not snacking to allow our hormones to

work properly. I also have read that eggs should be as many as we can hold in our hand so 4-5 for a woman. I am also experiencing tired and stomach issues so have been considering cutting our FODMAPS for a week. Just google whole30 FODMAPs and you can learn more if interested. 

Hang in there, and be proud of yourself for doing this. It isn’t easy when we don’t feel good. Hope you

feel better soon!

Kara S

On 8/16/2019 at 4:28 PM, Kcarppp said:

Im on day 18 of my first round of whole 30 and have been feeling a little down lately.  This past week has been rough, ive felt bloated, tired all the time, and pretty moody.  Ive also had some stomach pain and discomfort at times on an off.  When I first started whole 30 I was feeling great and felt like the progress was happening, but ive been doubting myself over the past week.  Ive also started feeling nauseous in the mornings before I eat and sometimes it pops back up during the day.  Anyone else feel these kind of symptoms and have some advice?  I worry that I am not doing this correctly.  I so badly want this to work for me, and I still have hope that this might be a small hurdle in my overall journey.  Ive still got 12 days left and I really want to make the most of them!  Heres what ive been eating, maybe someone has some suggestions/ edits I should make?

Breakfast-

omelet (either 2 whole eggs or one egg and egg whites), cooked onions, peppers, mushroom.  salsa, 1/4 avocado, and about a handful of cherries

Lunch-

cooked kale, roasted veggies (butternut squash, brussel sprouts, and apple) <about 1 3/4 cup of that mixture, chicken (about 1/3-1/2 cup cooked chicken pieces)

I haven't had afternoon snacks really, but if I do its usually a piece of fruit

Dinner- varies but always includes a protein and veggies, sometimes sweet potato

Night snack- fruit, usually mango, banana, apple with almond butter (one of those)

I drink a decent amount of water as well!  

Follow the template! It looks like you are under eating. Make sure you have 1-3 cups of veggies with your breakfast and ditch the fruit until you are eating enough vegetables. Eggs are as many as you can hold in your hand (usually at least 3) and use the whole egg, not just the whites. And eat within one hour of waking.

You need to make sure you are getting one to two PALMS of protein at every meal, so lunch looks light on protein. 1/3 cup is not even one palm and use your palm, not a cup, as a rough measure. If you have enough protein, veggies and fats at every meal, including dinner, you won't need fruit and almond butter as a snack. The almond butter is a fat and the fruit isn't doing you any favors in terms of getting your hormones and blood sugar to even out. 

Follow the template and remember to give it 30 days. Not everything balances out right away but the closer you stay to the template--3 template meals and no snacks--the better you'll feel and the better your results. 

Just going to throw this out there... if you're a person who menstruates (totally stole that from a mod), then dietary changes can actually play a little havoc with your cycle, which can throw you for a bit of a loop when it comes to emotions, cramps, bloating, etc. even without adding in the changes to your diet and any lingering detox you might be experiencing. If this happens to be applicable, then you might find it helpful to boost your intake of certain things to help you through it (I personally have to increase starchy veg and protein, and avoid nuts/seeds or fruit because these screw with my hormones and the fruit feeds a sugar dragon that wants to rampage, especially that week).

Regardless of whether or not the above applies to you, however, I have to agree with the others that your meals look a little light and that following the template could help resolve some of those issues over time. Keep a log of what you eat and how you feel afterward, noting if you've gotten bloated or had other issues and how long afterward those occurred. This can help you determine if there are compliant foods causing problems in your system, which can then be avoided.

Archived