Pilot Kombucha Pomegranate Rose

Kristina421

Hi there. I am a bit confused about whether or not I can have Pilot Kombucha. The nutrition facts say that it has 5g of sugar in the whole 16 oz bottle, and 0g of added sugar. Below is the URL and the ingredients. The thing that is throwing me off is that although kombucha is allowed if there isn't sugar added after the fermentation process, if sugar is listed on the label, it is out. In this case, for the ingredients, it says kombucha, then in parentheses, it lists all of the ingredients in the kombucha, so clearly the sugar that is listed in parentheses was used to make the scoby, right? But part of the rules say no sugar can be used. I need a referee to call this one for me... haha... Thanks in advance for your help!

URL: https://www.pilotkombucha.com/product

Ingredients:

Made with organic rose petals & unsweetened pomegranate juice, with just a hint of mint and cardamom.

Ingredients: kombucha (green tea, mint, rose petals, cardamom, black pepper, water, sugar, live culture), pomegranate juice, rose water.

Calories/sugar per 16 oz serving: 20 calories, 5 g sugar.

Hi! Kombucha is definitely tricky to navigate, but this one seems to be compliant! I believe that the sugar listed on the label inside parentheses refers to the sugar used to feed the SCOBY, not to any added sugar for sweetness purposes. If extra sugar had been added, I'd think it would be listed on its own. The 5g of sugar listed are likely coming from the pomegranate juice, and perhaps the rose water. I would definitely see what other people think about this, but in the meantime, GT has a bunch of awesome, compliant flavors that are sweetened entirely with fruit juices! I'm not sure if they have a pomegranate flavor, but their guava flavor is super yummy! 

2 hours ago, AlyssaB said:

Hi! Kombucha is definitely tricky to navigate, but this one seems to be compliant! I believe that the sugar listed on the label inside parentheses refers to the sugar used to feed the SCOBY, not to any added sugar for sweetness purposes. If extra sugar had been added, I'd think it would be listed on its own. The 5g of sugar listed are likely coming from the pomegranate juice, and perhaps the rose water. I would definitely see what other people think about this, but in the meantime, GT has a bunch of awesome, compliant flavors that are sweetened entirely with fruit juices! I'm not sure if they have a pomegranate flavor, but their guava flavor is super yummy! 

They've walked this back now - the rule is now a hard and fast "if there is sugar in the ingredients, even in the parenthesis, it's not compliant). There's been a lot of confusion over it for a long time (and admittedly the article doesn't help - it just admits that this is fairly aribitrary, but thems the breaks)

https://whole30.com/kombucha/

Archived