Sofija's February log - 1st Whole30

Sofija Dunjic

Ok, so I have started my first Whole 30 with my future husband ten days ago (February 3rd). I haven't logged any previous days, because I have just realised you can do that on this forum :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am actually surprised how good this is going so far. We haven't had any serious cravings (although, my PMS is killing me right now and I dream of pizza), only suffered through some digestive issues and minor headaches. We feel so good and full of energy, however not completely tiger blood yet. Considering what I read in the books, I am worried if we are doing something wrong, 'cause we didn't have almost any negative side-effects. 

The food is sooo delicious! And I am almost never hungry, which is really odd for me. 

Currently, we are both sick with flu, so it's been really hard to keep everything compliant, but we are managing it so far. 

So, this was a short recap of all ten days so far, hopefully I will remember to log the remaining days.

10 Days!  Congratulations that’s amazing!  Keep up the good work.  It is hard to feed yourself well when you are sick, but your body will recover that much faster especially if you are not putting sugar in it which weakens and can even temporarily cause the immune system to barely function.  

I did not go through most of the things on the time line.  It’s more of a warning of something’s some people experience versus a hard fast rule.  I felt the same

way toward the end of surely I’m not doing something right because it started to become easy to make good food and good food choices at home.  So don’t allow that self doubt sabotage your thinking.  Just keep moving forward one day at a time.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Hi @Sofija Dunjic! Congrats on being on Day 10 and staying compliant while being ill! The timeline is just a general timeline and not everyone experiences it or on the days laid out. A big factor is also how/what you ate prior to Whole30. My first Whole30 I had the absolute worst detox symptoms and for about 8 days. I completed a round in January with mostly no detox symptoms or any of the items from the timeline. I know before this round I was mostly eating Whole30 (as that is my FF) and before my first round that was definitely not the case!! I had a lot to get out of my system. 

Sounds like you two are doing great! Keep going strong!!

Ok, so..Days 12&13..Flu was really bad, could not get out of bed at all.. Luckily, hubby did all the cooking, so we stayed fully compliant.. I just could not eat dinner at all. However, the fact that we could stay compliant and not even mess that much around the kitchen while sick made me feel so proud!

We are both insulin resistant and pretty much addicted to sugar and snacking, so this program has been really important. I do miss some regular foods (like cheese and yogurt and some Serbian traditional breakfasts which are made with corn flour), but I will deal with that in the reintro.

Thank you all so much for the feedback and encouragement, it really means a lot!

Day 14

Finally feeling much better and sooo full of energy! We had some nice fritatta for breakfast and salmon for lunch. For dinner we had a little bit late Valentine's day special dinner with shrimps and it was awesome! I am happy that we've come almost half way there and we feel amazing. Hope we accomplish some important NSVs till the end.

Being from Serbia, doing the perfect Whole30 can be pretty challenging. On one hand, we have access to great unprocessed and locally grown meat on our farmer's market (be it regular beef, pork etc or sausages and bacon) which is usually cheaper than in supermarkets, and a whole lot better. Also, vegetables, fruit and fresh fish are much higher quality there because our farmers are usually  cultivating on their own farms. However, we are severely lacking in other whole30 approved stuff, like condiments and huge amount of different vegetables etc. So usually I have to make everything from scratch or skip some recipes entirely (cause we don't have coconut aminos or ANY compliant mustard..or pickles :D). Sometimes it's not a big deal, but other times it can be really hard. Although, we are still doing pretty good on this journey.

Starting day 20! 

Omg, can't believe we're here! 10 days left. Apart from some serious pms cravings, I didn't have any issues so far. Also, have noticed  some major NSV! I have knee problems for as long as I can remember, and not one doctor could determine what was the problem. It hurts occasionally, sometime more sometimes less, but I always feel it. I could never run, but one morning while I was running for my bus, I noticed that there was no pain, no nothing. It felt normal! I was amazed. Hope it stays that way.

Before the Whole30, I had some issues with my stomach, it was either hurting or I was feeling sick when it came to certain food (I used to think it was fat and meat haha, but apparently no). Also gone now! This is just pure amazingness! I can eat without heartburn or feeling nauseous after eating almost anything. And this is some seriously delicious food!

Also, a great bonus, I could get into a skirt that I bought last year (when I was few kilos lighter) and could not wear it since!

This program is really life changing. I cannot wait for reintroduction to see which food bothered me the most :) For me, if these are the most important benefits and I could be happy just with those. 

Archived