Compliant smoothies & unsweetened apple sauce

mazzystarslight

I read Whole 30: The 30 Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom but can't remember if smoothies and apple sauce are okay; I know the ingredients are (for the ones I've been making/eating), but I forget if this is like a "no pancake" rule where even if they're compliant it's discouraged. In my smoothies I've been putting a banana, unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened coconut cream, and ice, and I've been eating the Mott's unsweetened (no sugar added) apple sauce with walnuts - both as snacks, a few times a week each. I've been more reliant on staples like these on this 2nd W30 round for me, especially with going to the grocery store less -- just looking for confirmation if they're okay or not. Thanks!

• Moderators

You can read the explanation on smoothies in the Can I Have List: https://whole30.com/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/ -- basically they're not a great choice but aren't against the rules.

Applesauce is fine as long as all the ingredients are compliant. Generally it's best not to have fruit on it's own but to incorporate it with your meals. On its own, fruit is more likely to cause a spike in blood sugar, which leads to a crash that can leave you tired and craving more sweet things. But that's just a recommendation, it's not a rule.

Thanks, this is helpful! I feel like the smoothies I've been making aren't super sugary (like I said, just a banana, some almond milk, a little coconut cream, and ice) and I try to opt for an apple with nuts instead of apple sauce. I've also been trying to incorporate them with meals more than just as stand alones... things have been a little trickier this time with less grocery shopping so I'm discovering these new convenient ways to stay satiated, but may try some alternatives instead. Thanks again!

Archived