Accounting for fat in meat

itsme

I'm on day 8 of my Whole30 and overall things are going very well.

I bought some organic, 100% grass-fed ground beef to cook with and I have been leaving the fat in with my meal rather than draining it and tossing it (like I would have done before). My question is about estimating how much fat ends up in my meal. I am typically using around 1/3 lb per meal, and the beef is 15% fat. Anyone have any idea how this translates into "thumbs" or TBS? Am I probably getting 2 thumbs worth, or less (I don't think so), or more?

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it honestly. That's good fat so enjoy it. Let your hunger regulate how much fat you need.

If I eat a fatty meat I usually don't add fat...but if you find yourself really hungry in an hour or so...then you know you could probably up the fat intake by adding some good fat (avocado) without worry.

I'm on day 8 of my Whole30 and overall things are going very well.

I bought some organic, 100% grass-fed ground beef to cook with and I have been leaving the fat in with my meal rather than draining it and tossing it (like I would have done before). My question is about estimating how much fat ends up in my meal. I am typically using around 1/3 lb per meal, and the beef is 15% fat. Anyone have any idea how this translates into "thumbs" or TBS? Am I probably getting 2 thumbs worth, or less (I don't think so), or more?

Thanks!

The thumb sized amount of fat is meant to be in addition to what is in your meat and what you cook with. Here's why; it is assumed you don't eat fatty red meats 7 days a week. So, it all levels out and it really is what drives your energy and keeps you satiated. You become fat adapted and become a fat burning machine. :)

Archived