HELP! I don't like most of the approved foods!

Belle_E_Coyote

Hello, this is day 3 of Whole30 and I am STARVING as well as craving sweets BADLY!  Literally all foods I love I cannot have (even the healthy ones)...like peanuts were my favorite go to snack.  No I can only force feed myself carrots.  I do not like avocado, hard boiled eggs, almond or any nut milk, REAL butter etc..  I'm living off grapefruits, kosher dill pickles and steak and veg for dinner.  I don't see how I can do this if I don't like a majority of the only foods I can eat.  I tried Ghee, it made my squash and zucchini very oil and had too strong of a taste.  I tried the compliant mayo which was gross and all I can find online is one recipe after another filled with foods I don't like and requires a lot of preparation with no way of simply grabbing a snack when I'm really hungry or craving something sweet or salty.  I'm very moody too, my stomach looks like I'm pregnant and I don't know how long I can hang with the way things are.  Am I the only one who is so picky with food that they are going to pretty much have to starve while doing whole30?

Any words of advice would be soooo appreciated because I don't want to quit but I don't want to be miserable for 30 days this summer either.

Thanks!!!

Have you looked at the premade meals for whole30? There are like 4 platforms that deliver meals and you can find the links on this website. That might be worth a try! I would say if you do go that route try and incorporate a little of one of the foods you don't like each time and start training your tastes to enjoy things you are not used to eating.

Did you get a chance to read the book? I was able to download it through  my local libraries app and read it on kindle. I am still reading mine but I must says It is incredibly helpful, I am about to start my first round this week. There are a ton of tips and tricks about snacking/or not. Filling yourself up on your meals and strategies to get through the Whole30 plan. What each day looks like on Whole30, maybe some of what you are experiencing is normal?

It seems like so much of this is a matter of will. What is it worth to you to try and eat this way? As my mom used to tell us when we didn't want to eat our veggies "if you truly are that hungry, you will eat it". haha 

I hear you mention a number of fats and snacks that you don't like... Outside of that, what don't you like? A good portion of what you're eating on Whole30 is meat and vegetables. Do you like chicken, fish, beef, lamb, or pork? Do you like starchy vegetables like potato, sweet potato, carrots, beets, or winter squashes? Do you like other vegetables like greens, asparagus, zucchini, etc? If you like a variety of meats and vegetables, I think you have a strong start!

You'll definitely want to find some fats that you like because those will be critical to your success. For me personally, they are super important for staying full and for energy. Ideally, if you're structuring your meals according to the template, you shouldn't need snacks. And hopefully you're able to gain better control over your cravings and minimize snacking. 

If you tell us some of the things that you do like, perhaps that will help? I have lots of recipes I love, but I don't know if you'll like them unless I know a little but more about what you do like. And I am curious whether you have the time and energy to cook? I genuinely love the food I eat on Whole30 but it does take time. I don't love Whole30 convenience foods so I tend to most love the stuff I make from scratch... 

Thank you all so much for taking the time to address my issue. There are plenty of meat and veg I like but I’m not a great cook and like very simple and basic things to cook (if I have to cook). I love cauliflower so yesterday I made roasted cauliflower in a toaster oven with olive oil, salt and pepper And served it with grilled shrimp. It was very good. Later in the evening I was dying for a snack (like peanuts or chips or something!). I have nothing on hand that I can grab to try and satiate my cravings either sweet or salty. I just think you have more options that will help you get through the 30 days when you like a wide variety of different foods. 

I like most meats, eggs, spinach salad, yellow squash & zucchini, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, bell peppers, carrots, Brussels sprouts. 

I love a few fruits like watermelon, strawberries, grapefruit, oranges, peaches. I’m having a hard time drinking enough water as I lived off Zevia for a very long time. I’m going to try infusing fruit in my water to see if that helps. I thought not being able to drink coffee would kill me but I’ve been drinking plain hot green tea in the mornings to at least have something. Eating and drinking things without adding flavor is not easy to get used to. 

I did order some Whole30 friendly meals from Good Kitchen and although they weren’t amazing, they were better than I thought they would be which was nice. 

I am reading the Whole30 book and am using the Whole30 day by day journal and also own the book It Starts With Food. My lack of will power certainly has something to do with why I’m in the shape I’m in. It feels so good to be able to satisfy my sweet tooth. There were many times when that was the only pleasure I had all day.  

thanks again for your help. Sorry for whining but food has always been one of my pleasures in life and I’m feeling like I’m going to have to give all that up. 

thanks again!

On 6/20/2020 at 7:18 PM, Belle_E_Coyote said:

Hello, this is day 3 of Whole30 and I am STARVING as well as craving sweets BADLY!  Literally all foods I love I cannot have (even the healthy ones)...like peanuts were my favorite go to snack.  No I can only force feed myself carrots.  I do not like avocado, hard boiled eggs, almond or any nut milk, REAL butter etc..  I'm living off grapefruits, kosher dill pickles and steak and veg for dinner.  I don't see how I can do this if I don't like a majority of the only foods I can eat.  I tried Ghee, it made my squash and zucchini very oil and had too strong of a taste.  I tried the compliant mayo which was gross and all I can find online is one recipe after another filled with foods I don't like and requires a lot of preparation with no way of simply grabbing a snack when I'm really hungry or craving something sweet or salty.  I'm very moody too, my stomach looks like I'm pregnant and I don't know how long I can hang with the way things are.  Am I the only one who is so picky with food that they are going to pretty much have to starve while doing whole30?

Any words of advice would be soooo appreciated because I don't want to quit but I don't want to be miserable for 30 days this summer either.

Thanks!!!

I would say start cooking girl! There are so many whole 30 recipes to choose from. This isn’t a program you can eat out of the pantry with— trust me I tried! Every other nut is allowed except soy and peanuts— that’s a lot of nuts! I know it can feel overwhelming but you can do it— I’m actually getting good at meal prep and freezing stuff so it’s a no brainer. If you can afford 30 bucks US Real Plans has been super helpful for me. 

Archived