Fruit leather?

mrstrudo

Do we think fruit leather is okay? Specifically, the fruit to go brand?

Ingredients

Apple &/or pear puree concentrate, apple &/or grape &/or pear & carrot & banana & elderberry & strawberry & lemon juice concentrates, citrus pectin, natural flavour. Does not contain nut or gluten ingredients.

"SunRype 100% fruit products are manufactured without nut, peanut, gluten, soy, eggs or dairy containing ingredients."

I'm leaning towards no, but I was out this morning with my toddler and starving! The only thing I had in my bag was one of these suckers... He ate it all on me anyway. Ha!

http://www.sunrype.ca/viewproduct.php?line=15&group=0

• Moderators

The ingredients in fruit leather may be technically acceptable, but fruit "leather" is so far from the spirit of the Whole30 that I would say don't do it. It's too processed and just so wrong to turn fruit into a chewy strip. Put a plastic bag full of nuts in your car for future emergencies.

I'm not sure this is still true, but years ago I know that juice concentrate contained sugars. Juice manufacturers could get away with claims of no added sugar because they didn't add addtional sugar during the dilution process. I've been careful to avoid those when I can.

I totally agree with Tom that the spirit of the Whole30 is much more important here than the letter of the law. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived