Debilitating Pain

Hiker Chick

Today I begun my first day on Whole30. I have been suffering from chronic, debilitating pain for over a year in my lower back, hips, legs and feet. The Dr.'s are all stumped and I am now in accupuncture and deep tissue massage 2-3x a week as well as PT. I am praying that this new way of eating can offer me some relief and that it will be a life changer.

I have some serious issues surrounding sugar and I have talked for a long time about giving it up. Well, here is my chance. I am excited and nervous all at the same time and I am really hoping for a serious change in how I feel and I can once again experience a pain free day.

:)

Thank you all! My first two days have been fairly good. I have had a pretty serious headache today, but I am just trying to ride it out.

I have already seen one significant change. I rarely wear my wedding rings to bed, as my hands swell so much during the night and I can't get my rings off in the morning and they are so uncomfortable until about 10-11:00 am. Last night I left them on and this morning, my hands weren't swollen!! I could take my rings right off. Yay for day one!

Just over a year ago, I had the same issues you describe. Pain in my joints - knees, hips, feet, shoulders, elbows, it even went into my hands. No one could tell me what the problem was, though I had tons and tons of tests. My Dr put me on a low dose pain medication - and actually said it wouldn't help with the pain much, but it might make me feel better about it. (?!?!?) It didn't, really.

The pain was awful - dull and achy and bone deep. It would take me a half hour just to get out of bed in the morning because I couldn't lean on any of my joints or pull myself up. It was also very depressing.

I kept looking for answers and ideas. For some reason, I thought not eating gluten might help - so I tried it for a week. It didn't make a difference. I continued to research and have more tests - nothing helped. The depth of the pain was awful, and I tried to prepare myself mentally for a life of this much pain - not an easy thing to do!

For some reason, I tried the no gluten thing again last December 1st, but for the entire month instead. By the end of the month, my pain was decreasing. In January, it was almost totally gone. This year, I almost have forgotten, tho not quite - how much pain I was actually in. I can run up a flight of stairs now - and I'm happy every single time.

I do not know what went wrong. I don't know if I had this issue all my life and it just decided to freak out now, or if something caused it to turn over into pain. I don't know if there was some other medical reason for this and going gluten-free was a coincidence, but I doubt it.

I have never spoken to anyone who had this issue before, and I guess I wanted to say - I can relate. I really really hope this helps you!!

The wheat we are consuming now is not your grandmother's wheat. It has been genetically modified to the point where it actually contains new proteins that never existed in nature. I think a lot of people who think they have a problem with gluten are really reacting to a nutrient their bodies never evolved to handle.

Yes, even if wheat hasn't been genetically modified it's been bred for higher gluten over the years. Think back to your grandparents day, all bread was pretty solid and dense. People preferred softer bread (don't ask me why :mellow: ), gluten is what the yeast works on to make it rise, so wheat was deliberately bred to contain more. It's been estimated that modern whest contains as much as 50 times the amount it used to. It's no wonder so many of us have problems with it - we've been totally overdosed on it.

Today is my 7th day. Overall it has been pretty good. I haven't gone off the plan, even a smidgen. I don't think I am eating quite enough veggies, and maybe eating a few too many nuts, but I will remedy that starting today. My pain is actually less! It is not gone, but I am not in pain 24/7. I actually was able to toss my toddler in the air a bit and catch him about 3 times without doubling over in pain! :D I have gotten out of bed a few mornings without pain as well. I am having crazy, crazy dreams though and they are keeping me and my hubby entertained.

I am sure learning a lot about myself by eating this way. I am excited to see what the next 3 weeks bring!!

Archived