Whole 30 Log - queenofcups - 1.10.13-2.13.13

queenofcups

hello,

i'm actually on day 8 of my whole 30... i'm moving my journal here from mark's daily apple in the hopes of getting more feedback, etc.

below are my posts for the first 7 days (sorry so long! it's important to me to keep track of my progress so i don't want to abandon my notes from this week):

Today I decided to do a Whole 30.

A little about me: I'm in my 20's and have no serious metabolic disorders but would like to lose a little weight. I've eaten primally off and on for the past three years or so. I initially lost a few pounds that I had gained when I quit smoking in 2009 but never saw the kind of dramatic and sustainable losses that I hoped for. I currently am weighing in at 152 lbs and am 5'7" tall.

Today I ate 4 eggs fried in coconut oil, baked apple & onions with balsamic vinegar, a strip steak with onions fried in ghee, and an apple with almond butter.

I also experimented a little: I made my own almond butter for the first time (really put the food processor through its paces), made my own ghee, and ground up some dried wild mushrooms I foraged this past summer to make a powder for flavoring.

Day 2 has been essentially the same as day 1 with an extra apple. I've been feeling pretty tired and run down all day, which I'm guessing is to be expected this early in the Whole 30. I slept late this morning and am already feeling like I want to go to bed early tonight...

Day 3's meals:

breakfast: 4 eggs fried in ghee

tiny lunch: butternut squash, almonds, and a hard boiled egg

big dinner: steak and asparagus, with 1 1/2 apples with almond butter for dessert.

mentally and physically i am feeling tired again today but not as bad as yesterday; it was easier to get out of bed in the morning and i had a few good bursts of energy at work. i'm starting to get that "even-keeled" feeling that i associate with lower carb eating, even though i have been eating a fair amount of fruit/veggies.

Day 4!

breakfast- 4 eggs fried in ghee

lunch/dinner- small bowl of chili, plate of broccoli and onions fried in ghee, 2 apples with almond butter

ideally dinner would have just been a big bowl of chili and an apple with almond butter, but the chili really wasn't finished cooking so i had to make do with other stuff.

again hard to get out of bed this morning! i'm guessing this is the "carb flu" thing, kind of a pain but hopefully it will be over soon. i'm thinking about getting vitamin d supplements to combat the low energy.

Day 5...

b-big bowl of chili

l- big bowl of chicken and vegetable coconut curry

d- roast chicken with roasted root vegetables and sautéed beet greens. kombucha to drink.

a small victory: today is my first fruit-free day.

Day 6:

b- big bowl of chili

l- hard boiled egg, chicken curry, almonds

d- curry, steamed spinach, pot roast, a banana

way more energy today, i'm psyched!

Day 7:

b- nothing, slept late and didn't get hungry til lunch

l- 2 bowls of chili

d- weirdly not hungry again, 2 carrots and avocado tahini dip, bowl of chili

weird day today. i slept almost 11 hours last night and then wasn't hungry when i got up. i did very little exercise all day (stayed in except for shoveling the sidewalk in front of my house) so maybe that's why i was barely hungry at all for dinner.regarding energy, i had a hard time getting out of bed but then felt very energetic all day long.

and a week 1 round-up:

first week of the whole 30 down and i have to say it hasn't been that challenging so far. i have found that making big batches of food is super helpful (curry, chili). making my own condiments has also been great- almond butter, avocado tahini dip, and i plan to try my hand at mayo pretty soon. physically, i have a bit more energy than at the start. my digestion is a little off, but apparently that's to be expected and i may have to incorporate more starch. lastly, i'm feeling very lean.

only 3 weeks to go. honestly i may continue after the 13th. my original plan was to stop on valentine's day so that i could eat whatever delicious dinner/chocolate my bf gets me. now i'm thinking i will just hop back on after that meal... we'll see!

i just saw my dad for lunch and at one point he looked at me quizzically and exclaimed "you must have lost weight!" ... i responded with a modest "thank you" but was secretly very glad to know that someone has noticed my hard work. later today, my boyfriend said the same thing! crazy, this must be working.

day 8:

b- 3 eggs fried in coconut oil/ghee

l- giant salad of baby greens with arctic char on top, mustard dressing

d- bowl of chili, 2 carrots cut into carrot sticks with avocado tahini dip

an observation- i have been drinking crazy amounts of tea and not much regular water. i like to drink white tea with mint, and i will rebrew the same teabag as many as four times. i haven't quit coffee yet but have cut down quite a bit, to the point that i'm at 1-2 cups a day.

no fruit again today, no nuts either. that's 2 days in a row : )

day 9:

b-3 eggs fried in ghee and coconut oil, roasted root veggies

l- wasn't hungry for a while and ended up just eating 2 carrots with avocado tahini dip right before...

d- small bowl of chili, double helping of roasted root veggie

yesterday, the 18th, was the first day i felt the "need" for starchy vegetables. sometimes i feel afraid to have too many because i live a fairly inactive life, but it felt good to have as much as i wanted!

good luck with your whole 30! mine has been great so far. i haven't experienced any cravings (not sure why since i LOVE chocolate, pastry, and candy of all kinds) and haven't been tempted by any of the social situations i've been in so far. my only complaint is that my energy has been a bit low and my digestion has been off... i'm hoping that introducing more starch in the form of root vegetables and squash will help with that.

day 10:

b: 3 eggs fried in ghee, small side of curry

l: curry, then later a bowl of red cabbage tossed with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and salt

d: big bowl of chili (the last of that pot!)

alright, i got a taste of the "tiger blood". today while at the grocery store i felt unstoppable. i know it sounds weird but there's really no other way to describe it. regarding today's food, i'm trying to make my way through the curry i made earlier this week. i had a craving for the red cabbage last night but it felt too late to eat so i saved it for today. am i the only one who LOVES raw red cabbage?

in other news, i'm finally trying my first melissa joulwan recipe! yum. the pork is on the stove right now.

a few thoughts on the scarcity mindset: i'm from a big family and while i always had enough to eat, as i grew up i often felt the need to gather and hide food, especially "treats"... my parents were very frugal when it came to food and we usually had the same staples (pasta, broccoli, hamburgers, mac & cheese) over and over. rarely did i ever get sugary foods and if i did, only a small amount (i'm the oldest, my parents slacked off quite a bit with my younger siblings but were very strict with me). i used to look for sweets and then hide them in my room; i liked to eat them later in secret. i remember doing this as young as 7 or 8 years old. my mom was the same way. she used to tell me stories of using her allowance to buy lots of candy which she would hide from her family. as an adult, it has always been hard for me to override this behavior and not buy myself all the chocolate/ice cream/etc that the inner 8-year-old wants.

i guess my point is, even when i eat really healthy, even on the whole 30, i can't entirely escape this instinct. as you can see from my log, i haven't eaten fruit in several days. i have about 5 apples sitting in the fruit bowl AND YET when i went to the grocery store, i bought 2 more apples! why! it's a weird compulsion i guess. i keep wanting to buy more sweet potatoes too and i literally have to remind myself that the world is not going to end/sweet potatoes are still going to be around next week/ i already have several sweet potatoes.

the weirdest part is, it's not just the carbs- i do the same thing with ground beef (a big staple of mine), boneless skinless chicken breast, canned tomatoes, different types of tea, the list goes on.

i've been thinking about this because yesterday i saw cadbury mini eggs at the store. these are maybe my favorite candy of all time and they only come out during a certain time of year. i believe that this limited availability adds to the "scarcity mindset" in that it used to make me think, oh i better pick some of these up since they won't be around later. i wasn't at all tempted yesterday but it did make me think critically about my previous reactions.

i've been thinking about this because yesterday i saw cadbury mini eggs at the store. these are maybe my favorite candy of all time and they only come out during a certain time of year. i believe that this limited availability adds to the "scarcity mindset" in that it used to make me think, oh i better pick some of these up since they won't be around later. i wasn't at all tempted yesterday but it did make me think critically about my previous reactions.

Nailed it! My husband literally buys cases of those mini eggs. We were strolling through BJ's wholesale club to see if it would be worth a membership, and he about had a stroke when he found a 3lb resealable bag of them. Thank sweet Jesus we don't have a membership!!!

I have also found that I am buying items that... I probably don't need. I tend to but organic meat on special. Needless to say our freezer is PACKED!

Confession: I used to hide swiss cake rolls. And chocolate chip cookie creme pies. Screw Hostess!

• Moderators

a few thoughts on the scarcity mindset: ... i used to look for sweets and then hide them in my room; i liked to eat them later in secret....

Working through these kinds of issues in our relationship with food needs to be done. Good for you!

30canandaigua- exactly. i used to have the same reaction to cadbury creme eggs, to the point where i tried to make a homemade version once in high school. luckily i don't even like those any longer.

tom- thanks! i try not to focus too much on the weird things i used to do with food since i get kind of bogged down in it; i'd rather focus on my current well-being. but i thought this was a salient point as i'm seeing this behavior even with whole 30 foods (ground beef, etc).

day 11:

b-3 eggs fried in ghee

l- 2 helpings of carnitas, big bowl of red cabbage dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, kombucha

d- carnitas, small bowl of mushroom soup, apple and half banana with almond butter

well. i have to say those carnitas i cooked were reaaaaaally good. like almost too good maybe. i usually prefer my food to be sort of moderately good, nothing crazy, because it helps me cut down on cravings and weird food behavior but man those carnitas had me going back for more. i also had some fruit tonight while watching downton abbey with my mom; i got to introduce her to almond butter. she kept saying, wow you made this? it's just almonds? : ) no regrets there.

in other news, either the kombucha, the extra fat from the carnitas, or the return of fruit and nuts got my digestive system going in a big way. so there's that.

day 12:

b- chicken veggie curry topped with 2 fried eggs

l- carnitas, big piece of butternut squash

d- carnitas and small piece of butternut squash topped with 2 fried eggs, side salad of red cabbage dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, apple with almond butter

today i had my first "workout" ... haha. i did yoga with my sister for an hour. she really kicked my butt! she is an ashtanga yoga expert and has taught classes on and off for a while. we did yoga together a few times last year but i found it really difficult; holding hard poses for extended periods of time, stuff that necessitates lots of upper body strength (i have very little). i'm sore already and i'm sure i'll be hurting tomorrow!

i ate more starches today because of my workout. i also decided to top everything with fried eggs- this was a genius move and i'll be doing it way more now.

all in all, a good day. can't believe i'm already 12 days in!

i can already tell that today may pose a small challenge...it's my first day back at school after winter break and i had class at 8am. because of transportation complications i had to eat breakfast at 6am, soooo early for me (especially with my lazy holiday break schedule). well, i ate what i thought would be enough, turned out i was ravenous by 11. now i'm at work so i had to run out and grab a salad... i have a feeling today is going to be a 4 meal rather than 3 meal day.

day 13:

b-chicken veggie curry topped with 2 fried eggs

l- salad of mixed greens dressed with oil and vinegar and topped with tuna, chicken veggie curry, a piece of watermelon

s-banana and almonds (not my finest hour)

d-carnitas and butternut squash topped with a fried egg, half a sweet potato

not going to lie, yesterday was hard. i got really hungry during the day, didn't want my curry so got a salad instead, wasn't full, ate the curry, hated the curry, and ended up having almonds and a banana to make myself feel better. later i was still bummed about the snack and ended up eating extra starch at dinner (sweet potato).

weirdly i woke up feeling really good (maybe i needed the extras?).

LESSONS:

-pack more food.

-pack food i want to eat. the curry was about to go bad and really didn't taste that good. i didn't want to waste it, but next time i'll just accept the loss.

-even if one less than ideal choice is made (banana and almonds), it doesn't give me license to make another (sweet potato)... this is the same mentality as "i cheated on my diet, the whole day is blown."

today is going well so far.

day 14:

b-carnitas topped with 2 fried eggs, side salad of red cabbage dressed with oil & vinegar

l-salad of red cabbage & baby spinach topped with chicken, 2 boiled eggs, and grapes, dressed with oil and vinegar

d-carnitas topped with a fried egg, a lot of broccoli fried in ghee, coconut flakes in coconut milk

man i ate a lot of eggs today, seriously topping things with fried egg is GENIUS. i've also been eating a lot of red cabbage; what can i say, i just love it. i am sad to report that i ate the last of the carnitas today : ( i'm now in the process of making chili as the next few days' random quick protein GUESS WHAT i bet chili would be great with a fried egg on top.

day 14:

b-carnitas topped with 2 fried eggs, side salad of red cabbage dressed with oil & vinegar

l-salad of red cabbage & baby spinach topped with chicken, 2 boiled eggs, and grapes, dressed with oil and vinegar

d-carnitas topped with a fried egg, a lot of broccoli fried in ghee

man i ate a lot of eggs today, seriously topping things with fried egg is GENIUS. i've also been eating a lot of red cabbage; what can i say, i just love it. i am sad to report that i ate the last of the carnitas today : ( i'm now in the process of making chili as the next few days' random quick protein GUESS WHAT i bet chili would be great with a fried egg on top.

I dig meatloaf with a fried egg on top & some slammin hot sauce! Carnitas w/ a fried egg sounds heavenly!

alright, i got a taste of the "tiger blood". today while at the grocery store i felt unstoppable. i know it sounds weird but there's really no other way to describe it. regarding today's food, i'm trying to make my way through the curry i made earlier this week. i had a craving for the red cabbage last night but it felt too late to eat so i saved it for today. am i the only one who LOVES raw red cabbage?

Hey, I'm glad you read my log a bit. I have quitted smoking recently, I got my first signs of tiger blood too (unstoppable IS THE WORD. I am blown away with this feeling) and I LOVE red cabbage (raw, baked, breaded or pickled). Funny coincidences.

Keep up the spirit, you are half way there!

Archived