Remedy for a stomach bug?

Kate Winter

Luckily, I am not sick. But my fiance's 7 year old has a stomach bug and as I went to the store to buy her some ginger ale and saltine crackers, I realized I would have no idea what to get myself if I caught her bug.

Whenever I've had stomach bugs in the past, I've gone on the BRAT (Bananas, (white) Rice, Applesauce, and (white) Toast) diet for a couple days and that seems to help things out. Since I'm not eating rice or toast, that doesn't leave much sustenance!

What do y'all use when you get sick?

Hi Kate!

Recommendations around here have varied, but the basics are:

Nausea/vomiting/tummy ailments:

Fizzy water, ginger, peppermint oil, sweet potato, applesauce, bone broth, rest

Cold/sinuses/throat junk:

Throat coat and/or other herbal tea, essential oils + steam, bone broth, netti pot, rest

Just as a heads up, we're getting health warnings in Australia about a nasty stomach bug that's been going crazy in the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20854461

The warning we've had is that the vomit itself is contagious and it spreads very quickly, they've had schools closed over there. Folks with vulnerable immune systems are particularly at risk (young, elderly and the sick).

Pumpkin would be good too for stomachs. Peppermint tea is very soothing for nausea. You can get ginger tablets (sometimes labelled for morning sickness - these usually have very pure ingredients, but ask your chemist).

I like pepper, garlic, chilli and ginger for colds/sinus.

Archived