coconut sugar

nikki_chase

I too am wondering about this. Definitely not for Whole30 since we can't use sweeteners, but maybe Whole9?

I had found these on Amazon, and they are called Coconut Crystals. Here is part of the description: "When the coconut tree is tapped, it produces a nutrient-rich "sap" that exudes from the coconut blossoms. This sap is very low glycemic (GI of only 35), diabetic-friendly, is an abundant source of minerals, 17 amino acids, vitamin C, broad-spectrum B vitamins, and has a nearly neutral pH. Small batches ensure that our pure, low glycemic Coconut Crystals, made from this natural sap, is a raw, enzymatically alive product, low temperature vacuum evaporated only to remove excess moisture and allow for crystallization. By contrast, most brown sugar is boiled at temperatures up to 221 degrees F. (the end product containing 93% sucrose, compared to sap crystals which is only 0.5% glucose, 1.5% fructose, 16% sucrose, and 82% inulin -- a prebiotic that promotes digestive health.) Recipe Tips The naturally sweet, earthy flavor of our Crystals is an ideal sweetener for use over cereals, in tea, and all your favorite dessert recipes!"

Doe anyone have any thoughts on this product?

Definitely NOT Whole30 compliant. At all. In any form. But nikki covered that...

After your W30, if you feel like giving it a try, it's totally your prerogative. Though you could eat this way 365 days a year, we're definitely not asking you to. For most folks, that tends to be a little unbalanced and definitely difficult to maintain. If your system doesn't respond poorly (increased cravings, headaches, disturbed sleep quality) then by all means, add it to your own bicycle basket. ;0)

Hope that helps!

Definitely not Whole 30 approved. And, sugar is sugar. But, with all that said...my sweeteners of choice when having a treat are honey, maple syrup and coconut sugar.... It subs well for regular sugar in baking recipes although it will change the color of your finished product. I actually prefer coconut nectar over the actual granulated coconut sugar.

• 3 weeks later...

So glad to find this here. I started my W30 today and was pouring myself a cup of coffee and thought, "Hmmm, coconut crystals? Yes or no?" Guess they'll sit on the shelf until July 31st, unless I forget they're there. :)

Archived