Day 25 with cravings?

I have been doing awesome on this whole30 up till yesterday. I was just wanting something like a treat. I went for the coconut butter and almond butter, mixed them together and ate a couple spoonfuls... Then I did the same the today. I suppose it's technically not cheating, but I feel like I let the food control me. I'm wondering why all of a sudden I felt the need to eat something mindlessly. I have not been eating any fruit on this whole30 because anything sweet just makes me want to eat more sweets. But this in the last week I figured I was doing so well I would allow myself an orange one day and a few days later (yesterday) I had an apple. Do you think that may have been my problem? Maybe I'm super sensitive to fruits and shouldn't be eating any except for special occasions? What happens if I eat too much fat, even if it is approved fat? Also, I am breast feeding my baby still, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Courtney -

The cravings are normal. Completely normal. A psychological term for the experience is "extinction burst". You are retraining your food behaviors - behaviors that were comfortable to you and (your brain thought) worked just fine. Now, you're changing everything and not giving those reward centers any play. Think of your food behaviors as a toddler - they thrive on routine, doing the same thing over and over. Change things up and wham! The world explodes. Just don't give in - distract yourself with something else (a book, some air squats, a walk) until the craving passes. Trust me, they'll go away quickly if you fight them.

Having one piece of fruit a day is not going to derail you...try adding some fat with the fruit. We should not be scared of fruit and there is such a thing as too much fat. It is ok to have a "treat" with good food...just as long as its not a habit i.e. everyday at 3pm I need to eat something. An orange one day and an apple a few days later...that doesn't sound like a habit to me.

Are you truly hungry when you are going for these snacks? Maybe make your meals a little bigger...or finish off the meal with a nice piece of fruit. Fruit can be very satisfying at the end of a meal...and there is nothing wrong with that.

Archived