Coconut Oil: Whole Foods vs. Tropical Traditions

Tavia

Has anyone tried both? We always get it from Whole Foods. When we have purchased it other places, it tastes too coconut-y for my husband. (Duh, it's coconut, but whatever) If you've tried both, does the tropical traditions brand have a significant coconut flavor? They're having a sale and I want to stock up!

Interesting you should ask about this. The first time I bought unrefined coconut oil was from Whole foods, and it was the brand called Artisana. Then I found a sale with Tropical Traditions and bought a couple of jars and tried that. I had no idea what to expect from ANY coconut oil since these were my first purchases. Hands down I liked the flavor of Artisana WAY better. I know tons of folks use Tropical Traditions coconut oil, but there is something about it that is so different - almost "artificial tasting" and definitely not as yummy to me. Now, if I would have started with Tropical Traditions and never tried anything else, I wouldn't know the difference. Artisana just has better everything - coconut butter, almond butter, and coconut oil. It seems to be more expensive than other brands though. Obviously this is just my opinion though......

Thank you Summer!

I can get 4 pints for $25 and free shipping from Tropical Traditions. Does that seems like a good deal? I heard Robb Wolf says something in his podcast about 2 gallons for $25, but I think he misspoke or I misunderstood him because that seems too good to be true.

That seems like a good deal to me, yes. I have also heard Robb Wolf say something about those big gallons and the deal he gets on those. I think they periodically offer specials on those big guys.

I always stock up on Tropical Traditions when there is a good deal and that one sounds good to me! Just be cautioned...now that it's summer...it might melt and leak out in the shipping process. It's happened to me once. So that awesome deal turned into a bust...but I also live in Houston, TX (hot as heck down here). So just a caution.

I find every time I switch brands the new one tastes more coconutty to me - it's weird! First I had Spectrum and thought it tasted mildly coconutty, but quickly got used to it. Then I used Nutiva and thought it was definitely more coconutty, but it was the only stuff in the house so I kept using it and got used to that - so much so that when I went back to Spectrum I could taste the coconut in THAT one! Trader Joe's is a good bargain too. I haven't tried TT yet.

My favorite is the Natures Way Effagold. I buy the big 32oz containers and have it set up for auto-ship by Amazon. I've tried Spectrum, Navitas Naturals, Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Effagold is so good- the texture is beautiful and the coconut smell isn't overwhelming.

This is the one I get:

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-EfaGold-Organic-32-Ounce/dp/B003OGKCDC/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340055573&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=effagold

Archived