Starting Saturday 1/26/13

iampanda

My husband and I started Monday so we're a little behind the rest of you guys but still feeling good about it! My hubby is a huge sammich and burger guy so I tried to ease him into this by doing Paleo all week and giving him cheats on weekend for three weeks, I think I finally have him all the way on board for the W30! I'm lacking in preparation this week so I have to get to work in the kitchen again tonight to make it through the week but it's totally worth it! Day 3 and I just can't wait to get home and cook some more REAL food!!!

Is there an app for this forum?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started on 1/26, but just decided to join the forums today. This is whole30 #2 for me (last one was May-June 2012), but the first time I hadn't read It Starts With Food, which includes guidelines I didn't follow the first time (i.e. Always eating breakfast, no snacking, restricting specific nuts & seeds, etc.). Also this time I'm doing it with a bunch of people at my gym, so I have that support -- which is great but I'm looking for more! Greedy! :-)

In general I am feeling great. Eating 3 good healthy meals a day with no snacks, especially late night snacks has been a revelation -- I truly thought it was impossible but I am doing it easily on my days off. My only problem is on work days (3 a week). It seems that I am authentically famished by 5:30 pm no matter how much breakfast and lunch I eat. Don't get home til 6:45 so this is a problem. Have been eating something compliant (whole30 approved beef jerky & an apple for example) on the bus ride home. Plan to keep working on upping the fat and protein in lunch, maybe trying to take lunch later.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

I had that same problem during my first W30. I leave the house at 7am and get home at 7:30pm, so surviving on 3 meals was nearly impossible. (Gym nights I get home at 8:30pm, so that was even worse.) This time around one of my goals was to figure out how to stick to 3 meals a day (I think hormones are my biggest problem), and what's working for me is extra fat. My lunch these days consists of chili made with coconut oil, a raw veggie, a fruit, a half an avocado, and about 8 nuts. It has made all the difference in the world for me, and I'm able to make it 5 or 6 hours until dinner. Comfortably.

I do not eat breakfast within one hour of waking because it's just not feasible with my schedule and hour plus commute. But it's right at the 2 hour mark and seems to be working.

Hi! I just wanted to join in and say I started 1/26 too. So far I doing ok. It is not as hard as I though it would be and I really enjoying the challenge. Feeling pretty good on Day 7, though yesterday I felt pretty tired even after sleeping 9 hours.

Hey guys! Everything has been great so far, tomorrow is going to be hard though! We're going out to dinner with some friends and I plan on bringing my own salad dressing and ordering our steaks dry, no sauces or anything. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make sure the reast comes whole 30? We're obvi going to skip the bread and potatoes just don't know if restaurants sautee veggies in butter or EVOO. . .has anyone been through this yet?

I'm a little late joining the forum, but I started on the 26th too. The first day was a little tough...black coffee....no Greek yogurt for breakfast...and no red wine in the evening. They are right...you can drink black coffee! I wanted to follow this program to see how I'd feel, and so far I feel great. At first I found it tough to stay off the scale, but promised myself that I'd follow all of the rules. Now I'm glad that I have, because my focus is a lot more about how I feel than what my weight is. I keep remarking how much better I'm sleeping and how much more alert and focused I feel.

Becky - welcome! and i feel the same way about the scale! every once in awhile i think about jumping on it and then i remember that really nothing good can come of it so what is the point at this point in the process! like you, i'm also missing red wine ... and putting junk in my coffee, but i've discovered that i just put a little cinnamon in and i'm just as happy!

Deebs -- i don't have any idea how to handle the eating out thing! let us know how it goes -- hope you are able to make some great choices!

day 7! keep going everyone -- you're doing great, and there's no way we're not making it all the way now!

My week is going awesome!! We almost have our first week underway everyone!! YIPPEEEEE!!!

Sad to say, I am getting a cold!!!! I know I can't realistically take DayQuil/NyQuil...since they both have high fructose corn syrup so does anyone have any home remedies that are W30 approved that might work?? :unsure:

I am trying to feel better as soon as possible since I leave for a trip to Dallas in 2 weeks and I don't want to be sicky icky!!

Other then this little roadblock, I have amazing natural energy and I am sleeping pretty well!!! I start working out on Day 8 (Sunday) and I am pretty excited about that!!! WOOHOO TO FEELING GOOD!!

how is everyone else doing as we reflect on our first week?!

Well I ate a gigantic serving of chocolate chili (recipe from Well Fed) made with 75% lean grassfed beef for lunch (along with cole slaw and an apple), so lots of fat. I also got out of work early (yay!) and so at 5:20 pm am almost home. Feeling full and happy though, and like I can easily make it an hour or two til dinnertime. Eureka!

Glad to hear its going well for everyone -- we are practically 1/4 of the way there and iaa you get into the habits, and appreciate the way you're feeling, it only gets better!

You guys! We made it through day 9! I definitely feel like I've turned a corner -- today was great and I'm really looking forward to the next 21 days! My husband also decided to start whole30 tomorrow, hoping that it will help his colitis and high cholesterol. Happy to have another Whole30er in our house. :)

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

You guys! We made it through day 9! I definitely feel like I've turned a corner -- today was great and I'm really looking forward to the next 21 days! My husband also decided to start whole30 tomorrow, hoping that it will help his colitis and high cholesterol. Happy to have another Whole30er in our house. :)

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

My husband is supposed to be starting the Whole 30 today too. I say "supposed to" because he has been visiting his family this weekend, so I'll have to see what his mindset is when he gets home. They have horrible eating habits. He has a great deal of systemic inflammation, and is the reason I started reading about the Paleo diet in the first place. This has been a very easy transition for me, because I already have pretty good eating habits, but I'm anticipating it being a real struggle for him.

Wow-weekends sure are more productive when I'm doing a Whole30! I'm on Day 9 and feeling good! My main goal this round has been to stick to 3 squares a day, and I've been hanging tough. At first I think I was stuffing myself out of fear of being hungry. Isn't that funny? Being afraid to be hungry? I'm actually starting to enjoy feeling hungry, and rewarding myself with a nourishing meal. I think my body has stopped worrying about meals finally, because I'm starting to be satisfied with less. Go figure. :)

My hubby will probably not ever do a W30, although he happily eats whatever I cook. My fear for him is that he eats one meal a day clean, and 2 meals a day SAD. So he's eating the carbs AND the fat. Is that a recipe for disaster or is it better than 3 SAD meals?

megmac, i have wondered the same thing! that's great that you have been able to stick to it even though your husband isn't doing W30. you're doing great!

i'm on day 11 and have really been enjoying how well i've been sleeping! we spent a ton of time prepping food again on sunday but i feel like i'm finally understanding the right portion sizes to not get hungry in between meals. i'm confident about the next 19 days, except i may be flying out and back to washington dc for two days next week; that wasn't in my plan! i'll have to figure out how to best navigate that since i definitely don't want to veer off course!

make it a great day!

I'm on Day 10 and feeling great other than some persistant headaches. They are usually long gone by now, but this time they continue to come and go. But the sleep...ah the sleep. I get out of bed looking forward to getting back in. (And in live in FL so for once it's not because it's cold!) It's not that I'm still tired necessarily, but the joy of a good night sleep makes me greedy for another one. I need to remember this the next time I consider serious offroading.

My husband is as supportive as he can be without actually doing a W30. But life is full of people who don't eat this way, so I figure it's good practice. As long as he's cool with the $$$ for farmer meat and continues to grill, I think I'll be fine. Fortunately, he's not a wine drinker. That would probably be a challenge!

I hope everyone is doing well and feeling great! Stay tuned for the Tiger Blood-I think I'm going to get there this time!

How's everyone doing? Still sticking with it? I'm on day 13 -- can't believe I'm wrapping up week 2 already! Last week felt like it dragged on but now I really feel in the groove and I can't believe this weekend will be the halfway point!

I cheated and stepped on the scale this week -- what a mistake. Looks like I haven't lost anything, which is hard for me to believe but I am committed to 30 days so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Have a great day!!

Yes! Just finished day 14 and going strong. Not always happy about it, but absolutely going to see it through! Gearing up for a big day of cooking tomorrow. I'm going to try a few new things, so I'm excited! I'm glad things are going so well for you!

I'm loving this way of eating! I feel great and am sleeping better than ever. I've followed a mostly clean eating diet for years, and have always eaten whole grain carbohydrates, but this really feels right to me. My husband started last Monday, although he wasn't ready to jump right in 100%, and is eating more fruit and between meal snacks than he should. I'd rather see him stick with the program as it's written, but am satisfied for now that he's eating all the right foods at least. Eliminating sugar, artificial sweeteners, and the starchy carbs is a huge step in the right direction for him. I hope in a week or two he'll take the plunge and give it 100%.

I don't know where everyone lives, but our Sam's Club has just started carrying a baby spinach/chard/kale mix that is really good and really helpful. I put a huge pile on a plate and microwave it for 45 seconds to wilt it, then top it with tomato, a couple of slices of nitrate-free bacon, and two poached eggs...yummy : ) It's really quick to make too.

Happy week 3 everyone!

you guys, great job! i had another great night of sleep last night -- that almost makes up for how crabby and snacky i felt yesterday! i'm hoping day 17 today goes a lot better!! we tried two new recipes this weekend and loved both of them - my husband commented on how much "better" whole foods taste to him now that he's been off the junky stuff for over a week. it was a good aha moment! my workouts are also feeling better than ever, so i'm really glad to be over the hump!

make it a great monday, everyone! :)

day 19! you guys, we've come so far!! keep hanging in there!

i am coming down with a cold, which is a real bummer since all i want to do is eat all of the things, but i'm doing okay. i also have developed a couple of zits, which is really weird because i hardly ever get them, so not sure what that is about so late in the game! not fun -- i feel like a teenagers all over again!

have a great day!

day 19! you guys, we've come so far!! keep hanging in there!

i am coming down with a cold, which is a real bummer since all i want to do is eat all of the things, but i'm doing okay. i also have developed a couple of zits, which is really weird because i hardly ever get them, so not sure what that is about so late in the game! not fun -- i feel like a teenagers all over again!

have a great day!

I can't believe how the time is flying either!!!! I have created some really tasty recipes that are fairly quick to prepare and SO good.... I haven't been on my scale (because I stuffed it way high up in my closet that I need a chair to get to... I'm 5'0" so anything 3rd shelf is a circus o'lei to get it haha). I noticed I am drinking coffee more... my chemo takes the energy out of me and they usually recommend caffeine (I have no issue drinking it black)... but sometimes the food isn't cutting it. any ideas on how to help me kick the coffee crave on chemo days?? My dr. said it's fine, but I feel guilty drinking it past noon...

HOPE EVERYONE IS DOING AWESOME!!!!!!! I'M SO PROUD OF OUR GROUP!!

Good job everyone! I can't believe we are on day 20. I have been feeling great and not hungry in between meals, which is a change for me.

jayseaklein - I have the same complaint as you! All the sudden I am having breakouts around my chin this week! Who knows why. I have heard nuts can cause this, but I haven't been eating nuts since week one. Hopefully this will clear up quickly. I do not like it!

Keep up the good work!

Archived