any church goers communion

Julia

I think that would depend a lot on the church. The last church I went to that did communion phrased it as an invitation for those who wanted to participate, so I would have just sat it out.

The church I go to now doesn't do communion, so I hadn't thought about this particular problem. I hope you get some good answers!

I participated in our communion today. I thought long and hard about it and even prayed about it. Not to get too churchy but I figured how could I go wrong with participating in communion? God knows the desires of my heart. W30 is improving my lifestyle and my health which I believe He would approve of :)

I also participated in communion this past Sunday. It's a once a month thing at my church, but I got grape juice and the wafer. If there's enough gluten/grain/whatever in that tiny wafer to derail me...well, I'd rather be straight with God and let that be the one not quite cheat (there's a post somewhere where the mods basically said that the Whole30 doesn't want to get between you and your God, and to do whatever you believe is right given your relationship with Him) that I do. I didn't feel any problems with either of them - no cramping, stomach ache, etc.

I'm Catholic, and will be taking Holy Communion as usual. I'm not gluten intolerant, so allergies isn't an issue, and I figure the amount of gluten in the wafer is minimal. Plus, the fact that it's the Body of Christ makes up for the gluten in my system. :)

Hmmmm... I decided to not participate, at least for my Whole 30 days, because I really want to clean myself out and see how I feel. I think once we're a little "back to normal" (even though I'm never going to go all the way back into my old eating habits) I will definitely participate in communion. I did feel a little bad about not taking it this past Sunday (I am only on day 9) but overall God knows why I am doing this and I can still reflect on Christ's love and forgiveness without participating in communion for a few weeks! But everyone has to decide what's best for them.

I think communion is sacred because of His sacrifice and your faith, not because of what you eat. Can you bring your own communion? My church is casual enough that this would work. A few nuts and a small bottle of cold tea would do it for me. I accidentally (without thinking) took communion Wednesday night (day 2), and mentioned to my pastor that I was on this program. She said, "It's not bread and wine, it's His body and blood." But she also okayed my bringing alternate food.

Archived