What to do if you just aren't hungry

melliemoo

In an effort to avoid getting over-hungry (which doesn't feel good and is dangerous for my eating habits), I start on some veggies and then that triggers my (much reduced) appetite, so I add some protein. The nice thing is that my definition of hunger has changed dramatically (i'm on day 28 of my first Whole30). I don't get that desperate, gotta eat feeling. It's more like, hey, it's time to eat something. Good luck!

The nice thing is that my definition of hunger has changed dramatically (i'm on day 28 of my first Whole30). I don't get that desperate, gotta eat feeling. It's more like, hey, it's time to eat something. Good luck!

Isn't this great?? I noticed a change right away when I started the W30. I used to finish a decent-sized meal, and an hour or two later I just HAD. TO. EAT. It was soooo frustrating and felt impossible to ignore when I was at home with so much food around. It is amazing to be able to make it to the next meal without feeling like I'm totally fighting with myself.

Mel, from what I've read, if you're talking about breakfast you're supposed to eat something anyway. I'm not sure about the other meals, but I'm with Jayelle. Seems better to keep on a regular schedule and not make yourself feel too hungry at odd hours.

When I started W30 I found breakfast really difficult and then when I did start managing it, I found I wasn't hungry at lunch. As times gone on, I have found that if I can follow the meal template, even if I'm having smaller meals, I definitely feel better over all than when I just skip one altogether.

I agree with Kirsteen. Even if you need to adjust the size of your meals, your hormones and metabolism will be in better shape if you follow the template with protein, veggies and healthy fats rather than skipping or leaving something out of your meals. I sometimes have a "where is my appetite" day. I still get up, have breakfast (maybe I will have 2 eggs instead of 3) and a small amount of veggies and 1/4 of an avocado just to get my day started. I find it helps even out my day as far as energy and mood goes. This is my 4th or 5th W30 (although I am doing a W100) so I am very comfortable listening to my cues as far as how much to eat. Most days, I eat like a horse. :)

Thanks. It's actually dinner that I am struggling with, and it's due to some medication I'm taking that really curbs my appetite.

I do eat at regular times each day, breakfast around 8:30, lunch around 1, and dinner around 7.

Would it work to eat a big big breakfast and lunch knowing your dinner will be smaller? Sometimes it's the art of W30 and some things just need to be adjusted (within reason) to fit your needs. Or..normal sized meal one and two, mini meal before meds and then mini meal at dinner time?

Thanks, Susan. That's what I've been doing - having a huge breakfast and lunch, and a very small dinner. Today I am trying my meds with breakfast instead of lunch, and seeing what that does to my lunch/dinner appetite. I've been taking my evening meds at bedtime but will try with dinner today.

Archived