Gluten Intoleralt?

MamaDrew

So I have tried reintroducing some things, I've had minimal dairy (cheese) and seem to have been ok with it. I've also had 2 vodka drinks and have been ok. But last night I was in MAJOR pain!! I had prepared a crockpot meal from Everyday Paleo only to get home from work and realize I never plugged the dang thing in! So my husband had the leftovers from the night before which left me with nothing compliant. I decided to try a Schwan's frozen pizza that had been in the freezer pre-Whole30. I woke up around 11pm in so much pain! My stomach was so bloated and gassy and just HURT!! I was up for hours, I could not sleep. I don't know exactly what was in that pizza, I am assuming gluten and that is what set me off so badly. It did have cheese on it but I had been ok with that, so the crust is the only thing that makes sense. Before I did the Whole30 I constantly had stomach issues, bloated/gassy, alternate between constipation and diaherra. But things did seem to improved after awhile on the Whole30. So I don't know if I have IBS or if I'm just sensitive to gluten/wheat? Does anyone have any suggestions on where I go from here. Do I just keep eatting Whole30? Or should I consult my doctor? I definitley don't want to feel like this again, my stomach is still hurting me this morning, I couldn't work out this morning, and I'm exhausted from not sleeping!

I've been gluten intolerant for years and that's exactly how i feel when I eat it. I'd eat 'clean' until it all clears up and you feel better and then you could reintroduce some gluten, a small piece of bread or something like that and see how you feel. I'd try the bread or whatever on its own, without cheese or dairy and then if you do have a reaction you'll know exactly what it is. The thing with commercial pizza is that there could be all sorts in it so you don't know exactly what you were reacting to. good luck

I had a very similar experience before - with pizza too. I had been eating 90% paleo (but not Whole30 because of some honey and wine I let sneak in) for a few months. Went out, had a piece of pizza..just one. Felt disgusting after, and then woke up at 2 a.m. in pain I can't even describe. I was cringing and shaking in bed it hurt so much, like a sharp pain...I laid there for at least 2-3 hours, considering waking up my husband to take me to the ER. Somehow finally fell back asleep...still felt sick the next day. Haven't had any gluten at all since then.

I never thought I was gluten intolerant before either...and, as my mom has pointed out, I used to LOVE bread apparently...especially Olive Garden breadsticks. But I never seemed to have any issue with them before that I noticed.

Sounds like a bad night. :(

What you are describing - waking up in the middle of the night with pain so bad you're considering ER - is reminiscent of a gallbladder attack. Just something to be aware of and possibly have checked, especially if it happens again.

What you are describing - waking up in the middle of the night with pain so bad you're considering ER - is reminiscent of a gallbladder attack. Just something to be aware of and possibly have checked, especially if it happens again.

Interesting, I hadn't even considered that before. I just assumed it was the gluten...and haven't had anything similar happen since. Thanks!

Archived