surviving costa rica

ereiam

So I'm going to Costa Rica this summer and wonder if anyone else has been there and tried to stay compliant. The hotel we are staying in has a restaurant and buffet breakfast. I'm envisioning a giant enchilada. :-)

I really don't want to go off of the rails there. Any suggestions?

I think you will have a pretty easy time. :) I spent three weeks there 4-5 years ago and the food was amazingly clean. Yes, they serve rice and beans at just about every meal. But they also serve meat and veggies and fruit. It is easy to take what you like and leave the rest. Every buffet and restaurant I went to had huge salads, lots of fresh veggies and plain delicious roasted meats and fish. I wasn't Paleo then, but just trying to eat healthy and we all commented on how easy it was to eat healthy delicious food in Costa Rica because their meals seem to be based on fresh veggies. I don't remember seeing a tortilla. Plenty of plantains. Also, the best coffee in the world. Sublime.

Totally jealous! Costa Rica is an amazing country.

You can find fresh mangos, pineapples, and watermelons everywhere for INSANELY cheap - like $1 or less.

Also, every supermarket I went to had a ton of fresh meat and veggies.

I'd say the one thing you should do is compile a list in Spanish of what you don't eat, so that way you can go through the salsas & beans, etc. and find things that don't have additives.

Seriously though, prepare for an awesome trip. The ocean water there is warmer than the indoor pools back home - you're going to have a blast!

costa rica is on my bucket list for sure... what a fun adventurous country! when i travel i try to eat local.. it seems i have a wider array of healthier choices when i am outside the U.S. ... lots of great fruits and veggies and prepared ways that inspire and that i want to emulate when i return... and it seems that in other countries they don't screw with their eggs.... eggs are eggs... not fluffy yellow pancake batter... you will have a grand time i am sure!

I was there a few months ago and it wasn't impossible but it took some work. The typical breakfast involves cheesy tortillas, rice and beans, fried plantains, and eggs. I would expect to see all of those at the breakfast. You can stick to just eggs and hunt down some fruit and veggies for breakfast. For my other meals I found if we were eating at nicer places, eating well was easy. There was a lot of meat and veggie options but at the cheaper places trying to customize a menu was nearly impossible. SO eat big when you can eat well. If you can pack some compliant paleo jerky for emergencies, do it! Just don't let being in a strange place overwhelm you to the point of caving. I did and that trip was a downward spiral for me that led to falling off the wagon pretty badly. Just plan, be prepared, and muscle through!

Archived