Antibiotics - dietary support for side effects?

I'm taking amox/clav for ten days for an upper respiratory infection. I am glad that I'm taking it, because I was pretty miserable before taking, and within just a few hours of the first dose I started to feel measurably better.

One thing I'm noticing, though, is that as my eating has cleaned up, effects of medications seem stronger. That's positive, of course, on the one hand - I am benefiting more from the antibiotics, to be sure. But I'm also feeling the side effects more strongly. In this case, I'm just fatigued. I can tell that the antibiotics are going through my entire system, and my body is responding by healing (phew) but also by feeling pretty wiped out. I'm also dealing with some nausea.

I have a few more days on the antibiotics, and, I presume, some days ahead of me recovering from their effects (and also enjoying their effects - it is VERY nice to be able to sing, for instance!).

I'm in the middle of a Whole100 right now, on day sixty-one I think right now. Just wondering if there is something I can focus on with my eating to keep my body strong right now.

Hi Amy,

I was in your situation a month or so ago. Have you tried making homemade bone broth? The mineral content should help with the fatigue----and of course chicken stock never hurts cold symptoms. It is also settling on the stomach. I would maybe trying adding in some probiotics if you are not taking them already. It may be easier to stomach then eating ferments right now.

I hope you feel better soon.

Tricia

www.expatpaleo.com

Sorry you've been feeling rotten. Yep chicken soup and bone broth. I also second the above about probiotics. I seem to need a course of these every time I've had an antibiotic. Hope you're fully recovered soon

Thanks folks! I have chicken stock and I'll make sure to drink plenty. Haven't tried probiotics, but I'm interested. Kirsteen, what do you recommend, and what constitutes a course of them? I have three more days on the antibiotics, and then of course they last in your system for a while after that. I appreciate the advice.

Amy,

I really like NOW brands. Like this one:

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-8-Billion-Acidophilus-Bifidus-120-Veggie-Caps-Ice/1145

You should be able to find at Whole FOods or your local health food store. Amazon and iherb.com have good prices too. If you decide to go with iherb.com I can give you a coupon code for $10 off a $40 order. Just let me know.

Feel better soon.

Tricia

www.expatpaleo.com

Hi Amy, I can't really recommend any because what we have available here in the UK is nearly always different from those available to you. Tclass has recommended Now brand, I know a lot of people seem to like them (not available here) or if there's a health food store you trust, ask their advice. I tend to look for the strongest I can find and a variety of bacteria. after ABs I take them for about a month. good luck, reeeeally hope you're better soon.

Thanks Kirsteen, I'm going to stop at the health food store today and see what they have. I have two more days of antibiotics, and I do feel much better overall - I just want to make sure I'm fully supporting my recovery. I don't expect the probiotics to immediately take care of the side effects, but I do hope they'll have an effect over time.

Archived