Snow storm coming

So we could get anything from rain to 10 inches of snow this week.

Normally a snow storm would mean:

bacon

pancakes

Late July chocolate sandwich cookies

hot chocolate

hot apple cider with bourbon

I have compliant bacon (assuming the farmer didn't lie to me). But I know that my along-for-the-ride-but-not-really-happy-about-it spouse will be missing stuff.

Help be think of tasty food that will feel special but won't break out whole 30!

Thanks~

Compliant sausages with sauerkraut and caramelized onions & peppers. You could make roasted sweet potatoes with salt and cinnamon to go with that; that's what I made during a snow storm and it was delicious :D

Meatballs are pretty awesome too. You could make some side sauces from a homemade mayo base to go with them.

Nom Nom Paleo's slow cooker chicken and gravy: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy It's so good. You can use the gravy with the meatballs too. Sooo good!

We had a blizzard here last week that shut the town down for two days- I was home with my two young boys and my husband was out of town. Instead of snow ice cream and hot cocoa and cookie baking we focused on non-food special times. We made a big tent and played with flashlights in the dark. We had an epic play doh festival. We played in the snow and ate snow and went on adventure walks. We painted and played hide and go seek a lot. Obviously you and your husband will come up with activities to suit your interests, but a w30 is the perfect time to learn how to celebrate special times without food- healthy or unhealthy. I think that has been one of the best lessons for me.

I second the compliant sausages. I've been having them at breakfast and with saurkraut at other meals (we've had about 10 inches of snow since I started my W30 after no more than about 5 inches total in the last two years). For breakfast, I have loved a side of sweet potato, carrot, apple, mushroom and spinach.

Honestly, everyday has felt special with so many amazing food choices.

We prepared our own tri-tip for the first time yesterday. If your husband is an all-weather griller, her may enjoy grilling one, or it can be baked. Ours was marinated in balsamic, olive oil, rosemary, and garlic based on a suggestion we got here.

Soups may also be nice. I've been learning about pumpkin soup and butternut squash soup here in the forum. I'd imagine that creamy goodness may be really nice in bad weather.

Good coffee and fun tea choices can also help. I've been enjoying a nice black tea that I steep with a cinnamon stick, whole cloves, and ginger.

I am so happy that my husband enjoys good food and would also eat shoe leather every day if I offered it to him. On the other hand, this idea did start with me. He has been fully willing, but he knows that I would support his choice not to participate. Good luck with spring's unpredictable weather.

So we could get anything from rain to 10 inches of snow this week.

Normally a snow storm would mean:

bacon

pancakes

Late July chocolate sandwich cookies

hot chocolate

hot apple cider with bourbon

Thanks~

I had to laugh. Opposite situation here, but same problem. When they forecast a hurricane, the first things the grocery stores run out of are beer, chip and dip, and all cookie/other junk food items. Why, when faced with bad weather do we all take it as a license to eat nothing but fat and sugar?

We had a blizzard here last week that shut the town down for two days- I was home with my two young boys and my husband was out of town. Instead of snow ice cream and hot cocoa and cookie baking we focused on non-food special times. We made a big tent and played with flashlights in the dark. We had an epic play doh festival. We played in the snow and ate snow and went on adventure walks. We painted and played hide and go seek a lot. Obviously you and your husband will come up with activities to suit your interests, but a w30 is the perfect time to learn how to celebrate special times without food- healthy or unhealthy. I think that has been one of the best lessons for me.

It was what, 2 in of snow? :P

Archived