BEST kale chips ever!

Heidiwag

My name is Heidi and I'm a kale chip addict. I've been feeding my addiction with the ridiculously expensive (yet delicious) Brad's Raw Kale chips. They are fantastic and convenient but at almost $9.00 for a small container, I was feeling the financial guilt. After a bit of research, I found these: http://www.thekitchn.com/snack-recipe-cheesy-and-vegan-kale-chips-179037

They were not compliant, so I made the following changes below to adhere to the whole30:

3/4 cup cashews

1 bunch kale, washed and dried

1/2 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, chopped into large pieces

1 clove garlic, peeled

1 tablespoon coconut aminos

2 tablespoons evoo

1/3 cup nutritional yeast (not to be confused with Brewer's yeast)

1 lemon, peeled, cut into wedges, and de-seeded as much as possible (a few stragglers are ok)

Cover the cashews with water in a small bowl and let the soak for at least one hour before proceeding.

Drain cashews and set aside. Trim stems the from each kale leaf and cut each leaf into chip-size pieces.

Add the cashews, red pepper, garlic, coconut aminos, oil, and nutritional yeast to a food processor. Scoop the flesh from the lemon and add this to the food processor as well. Blend until smooth. (Alternatively, you can use just the lemon juice for a slightly less bright lemon flavor.)

In a large bowl, combine kale and cashew paste, making sure kale is evenly coated.

I used my food dehydrator at 115 for 12 hours. They are DELICIOUS and perfect! I've tried kale chips in the oven and I have to say, the dehydrator makes a world of difference!

*Disclaimer: I do not have "cheese demons" nor do I personally think of nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute.... If you do, use your best judgement.

Now go on with your bad selves and stock up on that kale. :)

I was tempted by this recipe, I ahve it pinned...BUT it is in reality 1 serving - I know I would eat the lot , and three-quarters of a cup of cashews is way more than one should eat in a sitting

Your recipes all sound delicious also! Trust me, I'm not going to be making these every batch.... But they are a terrific treat! Especially to give to kale first timers. They'll be hooked. ;)

Tom, I'm going to try your spice mix for my next batch.

Pjrange, nutritional yeast is compliant as long as you are not using it to fill a cheese psychological void. :)

• 1 month later...

Err, mine is:

Kale

Salt

Olive oil

Oven

Ten minutes

Dinner!

Mine is pretty close. I use infused olive oil (infused it, so I know whats in it. I grew the herbs myself), and I add some homemade taco seasoning. Adds a bit of a kick. Maybe toss some extra chili flakes on there for some extra bite.

Archived