sad

I'm on day 18 and for the last couple days I have just been...sad. I have struggled with depression my whole life, and whenever I start to feel sad, I worry that depression is coming on. (Anyone who fights this demon likely understands this terrible fear.)

I know that I am going through questions and demons and thought patterns that I would not be having were I not doing this Whole 30, because I would have been eating my feelings. On the other hand, until a couple days ago, this plan was making my moods so upbeat and even that I was super psyched to be on it.

But now that I feel sad, I am tempted to go off plan. Keep in mind--I have NOT done it. I just am tempted by all the contraband packing my fridge (my household is not doing this with me).

I will not cheat...I am just looking for ideas on how to fight the Sad.

Please note: I am very ill with chronic diseases that make it impossible for me to exercise, so that option is out.

I guess what I could really just use is a peptalk. General thoughts on self-respect and self-love, reminders of why I am doing this (to get healthier)!

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who has a moment to stop by this thread. I seriously appreciate this forum, and I wish you all a very good day. <3

The first thing I would do is laugh. You won't feel like it at first but even a little creeping smile will start to elevate your mood. True fact. And the Internet is full of instant and free laughs. YouTube is a good start, funny kittens do it for me. What do you think is funny?

You will always have ups and downs but the more and more your body heals I think the downs become less. My mental health dilemmas are different than yours but I can say that as my diet has steadily improved over the last few years, I have not experienced the depths of despair I once did. W30 takes it to a whole new level and you are doing w30 because you love yourself. I know that because you chose to post in the forum and ask for a boost from a community rather than looking for that boost in the darkest corners of your pantry. That's what loving yourself is, you're doing it already.

Oh boy, do I hear you. I have dealt with depression most of my life, but only used medication for a short time about 25 years ago. When I started W30, I was really on the ledge, if you know what I mean. The program has helped me to feel so much better, and my depression has improved tremendously. I still deal with bouts of the blues every now and then, but it's far less overwhelming. However, I did notice that the first few weeks of W30 really played with my hormones, and my emotions were all over the place. Not being able to stress eat cookies and ice cream did not make the situation easier. Food had been my drug and now it was no longer available. Very frustrating. I would suggest throwing in an extra sweet potato and/or banana with your meals, or some other starchy veggies. They do help a lot. You may also need longer than 30 days. Out of the last 8 months, I've been 100% W30 compliant for 135 days. In between W30's, I've been about 90%+ compliant, and it's the last two months that I've seen a lot more healing taking place. If you still feel blue, you may need to talk to someone, but it would be my suggestion to keep going with this program and consider a W45 or W60. It can only help. Wishing you the best. Lisa

Lisa, thank you for understanding--and yet I'm sorry that you understand. I really appreciate your input, and it helps to know I am not alone.

I think you are right about needing to extend my Whole 30 to a 45 or 60, or maybe even beyond...

xo

Betsy - you are definitely NOT alone. In all honestly, it sounds like you are doing great, but just hit a few speed bumps. It happens. I can't tell you how many meltdowns and tantrums I had when I started - some were in public :blink: And keep posting - this is a very supportive community with lots of good advice. Hang in there. It will get easier. Big HUGS to you. XOXO Lisa

Two words: Pema Chodron.

I'm a licensed mental health professional, and her teachings have helped me get through big heartbreak in my own life. I wish the same for you.

As for the Whole30, here are some thoughts:

The better you feed your body, the better prepared your brain will be to savor upbeat feelings when they return. Your mood might not be where you want it to be yet. But my educated guess is that if your body is already responding well to your new eating habits, your mood may very well catch up in time (either on its own, or with some therapeutic supports on the side).

For now, it might help to pay really, really close attention to any positive changes you notice in your body and how it functions. Any change, no matter how small, is worth remembering and referring back to when you feel bad about feeling bad. Any small improvement you notice about your body is a hint that things will get better (and, in fact, they slowly already are).

I hope these ideas give you a good place to start.

Good luck and best wishes!

Don't forget that progress is not always forward. For me sometimes it's 3 steps forward, 1 step back. But you do move forward! You just have to stay tough on the "back" days and wait them out. Many of us who don't suffer from depression still have sad, crabby and generally pissed off days as our bodies get used to eating well. I understand it's a much bigger concern for someone with a history of clinical depression, and I'm not trying to downplay that. I'm just saying many of us experience wild swings on this plan. Especially during our first W30. Good luck! You really are doing something amazing for yourself!

Archived