Irony and Karma

tooblu96

I just had to share this. When I started my Whole30 18 days ago, a friend of mine confronted me about my choice. She stated that she was "leery" of any "diet" that limits food groups. I told her that it wasn't a diet, and my reasons behind trying (getting rid of artificial sweeteners, slaying the sugar dragon, increase my work out performance, etc). She wasn't buying, so we agreed to disagree.

Interestingly... yesterday she is lamenting on facebook that she has to get rid of soy because she's having migranes. She's already allergic to nuts and eggs. I'm thinking her migranes could be due to the numerous (8+) diet cokes she drinks each day, but what do I know.

She was seriously upset because she couldn't eat prepacked food anymore. She said that she had to use... gulp... OLIVE OIL. Oh no! Stop the insanity. She also said she couldn't eat any more Special K bars, rice cakes, soy patties, crackers, bread, and so on.

So, here I am trying to be the supportive friend I am, I tell her that I've been eating soy free for 18 days. She says, "well, it's by choice." Ok. Maybe she'll find some new favorites. Her response, "My favorite is soy."

I'm done with her. I just find it ironic that she was telling me I was going down a questionable path and now she is having to consider eating paleo... which is too expensive in her opinion.

What is with people saying eating well is "too expensive". It was only since the industrial revolution that humans suddenly stopped spending their entire day consumed with the enormous task of providing their own nourishment. It's only been 10k years we are doing this agriculturally! So in the last couple hundred years we decided let's get jobs in a city and pay someone else to raise food for us and then expect that not to cost a significant amount of our days work?! It galls me to no end the kind of oversized homes and cars people pay for, the gadgets and gizmos, the vacations, the cable tv and Netflix account burning a hole through their pocket and then scrimping on the food budget.

I'm sorry if this little rant is misplaced, original poster. I just couldn't stop myself :-p

No worries Moluv. Rant away. I completely agree with you. What I find appalling is that she was greiving the loss of prepackaged foods and looked at olive oil like it was something disgusting. Someone told me yesterday that they can't believe I eat avocados because of all of the fat.

I think we have out priorities misconstrued. We need to eat wholistically. I'm realizing that we must feed our bodies with the best products available... and if that means I'm spending more on avocados and less on my mani/pedi... so be it.

Great to read that I am not the only one!!!! My coworkers all think I am nuts and have "gone off the deep end."

They consistently argue with me about soy, legumes, whole grains, low fat foods, etc. So frustrating! And I also have a couple people in my life with autoimmune disorders who refuse to take my advice. They eat packaged foods, try every yo-yo diet possible and consistently complain about their weight on top of it.

It's hard to not want to help the people around you get healthy. I am trying to step back and lead quietly by making my own strides and setting good examples.

Thanks for the vent :)

• 3 weeks later...

I get the same type of reaction, and people's "concern" about what will happen after the 30 days are over. I just tell them that maybe I'll keep going! I think the results speak for themselves and eventually they'll come around...or stop coming around!!

I also looked at your blog and I want to high five you and give you a "you go girl!" Keep up the great work!!

I just had to share this. When I started my Whole30 18 days ago, a friend of mine confronted me about my choice. She stated that she was "leery" of any "diet" that limits food groups. I told her that it wasn't a diet, and my reasons behind trying (getting rid of artificial sweeteners, slaying the sugar dragon, increase my work out performance, etc). She wasn't buying, so we agreed to disagree.

Interestingly... yesterday she is lamenting on facebook that she has to get rid of soy because she's having migranes. She's already allergic to nuts and eggs. I'm thinking her migranes could be due to the numerous (8+) diet cokes she drinks each day, but what do I know.

She was seriously upset because she couldn't eat prepacked food anymore. She said that she had to use... gulp... OLIVE OIL. Oh no! Stop the insanity. She also said she couldn't eat any more Special K bars, rice cakes, soy patties, crackers, bread, and so on.

So, here I am trying to be the supportive friend I am, I tell her that I've been eating soy free for 18 days. She says, "well, it's by choice." Ok. Maybe she'll find some new favorites. Her response, "My favorite is soy."

I'm done with her. I just find it ironic that she was telling me I was going down a questionable path and now she is having to consider eating paleo... which is too expensive in her opinion.

After spending a little time on your blog, I have to say that I'm really shocked that your friend is criticizing your choices. You have spent the last year doing all you can to get healthier, and as part of that you're doing a Whole30. I would expect friends to be asking you to lead classes in better nutrition for health or something, rather than criticizing your eating. Sheesh!

That said, you are clearly doing extremely well and I hope that the Whole30 takes you where you want to go next on your journey. Congrats!

tooblu96 - You have accomplished so much and have the right attitude!

I have friends (had would be more accurate) that could not support my lifestyle, and were critical of the foods I chose not to eat. However, you and I both know if we criticize THEIR choices or packaged "frankenfoods", diet sodas, etc, then we are accused of being overly critical. Really?

You keep rockin' it girl!

I have an autoimmune disorder, and I deal with it every single day. Lupus sucks. Arthritis sucks. I can't really change the fact that I have either one of these problems.

What I can do is keep the flares at bay by following a mostly paleo diet, exercising, and having fun doing so. I catch lots of flack for the "restrictive" diet I follow; however, I'm not restricting a darn thing in my opinion. I love how much gain I've gotten following my first W30 back in January, and definitely can say that certain real foods (and basically all frankenfood) make me flare.

I'll happily give those things up if it means I'm not bedridden and in wicked pain for weeks on end. Easy choice IMHO, and far less restrictive than the aftereffects of dairy...

Also, OP, you rock. Congrats on how far you've come!

Archived