Medication and W30

I am finishing up day 27 of my first Whole 30. I have had a lingering sinus infection and nasal inflammation the whole time. I took a round of antibiotics just before I started the W30 and when I went to the doctor today he prescribed a different antibiotic and a steroid pack. I am really concerned that taking the medication is going to mess up all of the cleansing I have done the last 27 days. How does medication play into the Whole 30 compliance?

Medication trumps W30 any day. If your doc's prescribed you medication, take it. W30 will never try to come between you and your doc. In saying that, a lot of people, myself included, find that if we have to take antibiotics, then taking a probiotic is really helpful. It helps replace the good bacteria that the ABs kill off. Good luck

• Moderators

If you have an infection, taking antibiotics is almost certainly better than not taking antibiotics. Taking antibiotics does not ruin a Whole30, but it does change some things. Antibiotics influence your gut flora, so your digestion is different on antibiotics. How different is not certain. Like Kirsteen said, taking a probiotic helps your gut establish a healthy balance and is especially important when you have been taking antibiotics.

If you are not happy with your Whole30 experience, you might want to do another 30 days when you have been off antibiotics for a while and your gut has had a chance to normalize.

Thanks Tom. I will look for a probiotic today. Is there anything I should avoid?

I am amazed by the results I have achieved with my Whole 30 in terms of the way my clothes fit, the way I sleep and the fact that I don't wake up with headaches any more, but I was also hoping for improvement with my allergies. Maybe the infection got in the way. I am definitely going to try another W30!

Archived