Foods to focus on while breastfeeding

Hi, I just started the Whole 30 four days ago. I'm breastfeeding my 18 month old. The majority of her calories come from the food she eats (she has been paleo since we started feeding her solids), but she still nurses quite a bit in the evening and throughout the night. Are there any food groups I should focus on more than others? Make sure I get extra carbs? Fat? Not sure which I should emphasize, if any. Thanks!

I think the most important thing is to make sure you get enough total calories. Your body will make the best milk for your baby one way or the other, but sudden calorie restriction could make your milk supply go down.

Kim's right. Our OB/GYN friend, Dr. Michele Blackman, says breastfeeding and milk supply are about two things - calories, and the baby's suckling. If the kiddo is still nursing and you're eating enough, you're good to go. Coconut milk is a great, dense fat source, starchy carbs can help keep calories adequate, and protein and fat at every meal should see you though.

• 2 months later...

My bubby is 7 weeks old, I ate clean for the pregnancy and only put on 14 kilograms during that time. I have found that since I have had her and started nursing, I have been really looking for sweet foods, mainly honey and tonnes of fruit. Would an increase in carb dense foods reduce this craving??

• 1 month later...

I recently started my whole30 and I am having a decrease in milk supply. I rarely eat the more dense carbs, thinking i will add these in. I love sweet potatoes roasted or grilled, so thats good. I just bought a ton at the store.

I think if I am done it's fine though because baby is 10 months and I have a good supply in the freezer, plus I head back to work in 2 weeks and will be traveling a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Cdauk, I'm actually on day 19 of the my second Whole30 and am at the same point your at as far as breastfeeding (Baby V tuns 9 months old on Sunday!). Here's what I've found:

1) The amount of starchy carbs I eat is essential. I have probably 2 servings of sweet potatoes or squash per day. On the days I CrossFit or cycle I try to add at least one more serving.

2) I routinely underestimate how many calories I need so I have to be mindful of eating enough fat and calorie dense foods every day. I eat lots of nuts (yes, I know you're not supposed to but they're an easy, calorie dense snack) and 3/4 of an avocado a day (Baby eats the other 1/4 :) )

3) Hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate some more.

4) On days that you exercise pay close attention to how you feel. If you're hungry, for God's sakes, EAT!

So far I've seen some serious improvements in my sleep (primary reason for doing this), my workouts (I've set 4 or 5 new PRs which have helped my post partum self esteem tremendously), weight (I think I've lost the last 4 pounds of pregnancy weight that would NOT come off prior to this Whole30) and mood (see number 1).

I have also seen a slight decrease in my supply but that had started a week prior to the beginning of this whole30. I was told by a Lactation Consultant and several nursing mama friends that this was totally normal as my baby is eating three meals of solids and a small snack a day. I too have quite the freezer stash and hope to get through the next few months so I can stop pumping and wean her gradually.

Good Luck!

Thanks Robin! Sounds like we are both doing well. I have increased my water to 100oz a day (or more) and that is also helping. I am returning to work after a 2 month summer break and am only hoping to pump once while there. We will see how it goes! Thanks again for all the tips!

Archived