Below normal blood sugar

My blood sugar keeps dropping too low. Just a few minutes ago I checked it and it was 62. This morning it was 67, came to 80 after eating, then back to 72. It has been in the low 70s since starting Whole30 and before that was probably in the low 100s most of the time. I am not diabetic. I'm a midwife and happen to own a glucose monitor. I can feel myself being very "off" and so that has prompted checking it. I'm tired. I had two apples today, plus a decent breakfast. Usually I have 3 solid meals per day, decent protein levels. I don't always have fruit, but apples are my go-to when I do.

The problem is I'm 13 days in and 100% on track, but I'm due to go to a birth soon and can't afford to feel spaced out.. so not sure what to do for THAT.

Anyone else go through this?

Bridget

I struggled with hypoglycemia as a kid/teenager/college student. I loved all things apple and always ate them when I felt hungry or hangry. I did not have a glucometer at the time, but my sugar frequently dropped into the 50s as tested at the school clinic.

A doctor once explained that I should never have fruit (or any sugar) without protein. On the Whole30, I have limited my fruits to less than one a day (which I already do anyway). I only have fruits with meals.

I now have Type 2 diabetes.

I had low sugars in the first week or so. As a result, I increased all of the portions on my plate - protein, fat, and veggie. And, I am more liberal with sweet potato and squash now. In between meals, I try to follow the template in mini size, but sometimes only have fats as a snack, usually olives.

My sugars are now a touch higher and in normal range! Without knowing more about when and what you are eating, I can only offer my experience to see if any of it will help.

Give it some time, your body has to learn to produce glucose from protein efficiently, which can take a little while. Maybe you should try eating 4 meals a bit closer together rather than 3 for at least the next 1-2 weeks while your body adjusts.

I think I have been going through this as well (day 13 now)- although i Don't have a monitor, but I get light headed often especially when standing. I decided to be a little less strict w/my fruit intake (going from none to 1 piece a day) and not being "afraid" of the sweet potato ... Been feeling better once I loosed the reigns a little

Archived