Difference between Whole30 and Paleo?

Keianna

Whole30 is a strict form of Paleo. It means you are following all of the rules and not ingesting any off-plan ingredients, whether it's from food, drink, or supplements. If someone says "I eat Paleo," that could mean 80/20, 90/10, 95/5 etc. (so 80% Paleo, 20% not). Some people might follow the W30 food rules all the time, but occasionally drink alcohol for example. I eat Paleo except I do have sugar (more than I should...working on it), eat at restaurants 1-2 times per month, and some of my supplements are not "pure." If I wanted to do another W30 I would need to give those things up.

Well, I'm still rather new to this...but I would assume so, yes. Some people do extend their W30 to W60, 90, 100+ so that's not unheard of. But I think it's hard for most people to do that. It's nice to eat really healthy Paleo food *most* of the time but still be able to enjoy a glass of wine (if that's your thing), or Grandma's homemade brownies, or a dinner out with family without worrying about every little ingredient you are eating. I can't speak for everyone but that's certainly my plan going forward.

Paleo also includes paleo-fied treats. IE almond flour pancakes, banana bread, etc. I think it is also debated whether honey and maple syrup are Paleo. These things are definitely not Whole30.

There is no meal template for Paleo and nothing says you have to eat those veggies!! When I first learned about The Paleo way of eating I cut out lots of unprocessed foods but didn't substitute those things with healthy veggies. I ended up starving all the time and basically eating loads of fruit and meat. It didn't work for obvious reasons, my energy levels were terribly low and I walked around in a fog. Then I found Whole30 and learned how I was supposed eat! Today is day 29 on my second Whole30 :)

The biggest difference is that Melissa and Dallas own the Whole30 and have expressly written rules for it. What is and is not accepted is pretty clearly defined because they wrote it that way. If you have a question, there is someone who can answer it.

The word 'Paleo' is owned by no one. There are no hard fast rules to what paleo is because everybody's definition is different. For some, it's 100% all the time and treat-free, often as strict as a Whole30. For others, it's 80/20 or 60/40 or full of treats or full-fat dairy. Just google 'paleo' and you'll see every color of the rainbow.

Paleo is confusing. Whole30 is clear.

• 1 year later...

The biggest difference is that Melissa and Dallas own the Whole30 and have expressly written rules for it. What is and is not accepted is pretty clearly defined because they wrote it that way. If you have a question, there is someone who can answer it.

The word 'Paleo' is owned by no one. There are no hard fast rules to what paleo is because everybody's definition is different. For some, it's 100% all the time and treat-free, often as strict as a Whole30. For others, it's 80/20 or 60/40 or full of treats or full-fat dairy. Just google 'paleo' and you'll see every color of the rainbow.

Paleo is confusing. Whole30 is clear.

Thank you.  I've been looking for that clear answer for weeks.   It's exactly how I feel about it.   This is easy to follow and no gray areas.

Archived