Reset?

kayell

Hi, I'm on day 7. A few days ago, the fridge/freezer died. Kept all cool with dry ice, so lost very little, but had to find new fridge. From there, below its what happened. (from my log)

"The fridge came, but I have to wait 3 hours to reload it. Everything is bundled up with dry ice in coolers and blankets. Going out to eat, with my goal being a small sirloin and broccoli. Probably will be cooked in bad oils though. Wish me luck.

Went to the Vietnamese place in town after I realized that the steak place uses seasonings that also undoubtedly use sugar. Had the Shaking Beef, no rice. Now have to decide whether to reset days.

Shaking Beef - beef, tomatoes, onions, watercress, lime. Sauce/marinade undoubtedly included some sugar, fish sauce, lime, unknown oil for cooking and ?"

I suspect reset is the correct answer. Comments?

Also to take into account: had leftovers, drained off sauce, but will have same leftovers for dinner with residual ?

Things I could have done:

Sent my mom out to eat separately, had a can of tuna.

Same. Set aside the dang bowl of hard boiled eggs. Eaten HB eggs.

Fasted? probably not since I had the tostones with breakfast.

Gone to grocery an picked up salad bar stuff and added tuna.

Planned ahead and separated out some food before packing up.

Other choices?....(take into account no affordable restaurant that would be totally clean in town.)

I think the decision is ultimately up to you, kayell. What were you trying to solve/address with the Whole30? A nagging autoimmune or serious health issues? Get more control over your food choices and your relationship with food? Something else?

If it's health/autoimmune, you've got to start over. 7 days isn't so long that it's going to be as heartbreaking as life tossing you a handful of lemons on day 27, you know? and this is your health we're talking about here. Any trace of that stuff can set you back, so you've got to reset.

If it's healthy relationship with food that you're after, I think you went out and did the best that you could have to modify your choices to make them safe. I personally wouldn't have gotten anything with a sauce, but this isn't my first rodeo either. Learning from this experience, and learning what you could do next time you're in this situation is a much healthier food response (imo) than beating yourself up over the unknowns of that food and feeling guilty about it.

All that being said, it STILL is within the first week of the Whole30, so it's not a huge hit to reset. Good luck with the fridge situation!

This -> "Get more control over your food choices and your relationship with food?" and tighten up the paleo diet i've been eating to get rid of the dairy and creeping bits of sugar that sneak in with seasonings and such. Get diet totally firmed up to get overall healthier and to deal specifically with weight, insulin resistance, pre-diabetes and periodic depression/anxiety. I expect to do repeated Whole30s.

Sauce many not be the right word. From what I can tell, the meat is marinated in that mix, then plated up hot on a mess of onions, tomato and watercress. It all kind of oozes juice. It's probably one of the 2 best, but definitely not ideal choices in town. I'll have to work on options for when things go awry.

Checked calendar and I still have 30 days left before 7/25 when I head to New Mexico for a week. Since I intended to Whole30 until then anyway, it's all good. I'm resetting. It's better that I build the accountability.

The new fridge is gorgeous. No bigger, but much much better layout. More efficient, quieter and pretty too.

Thanks for your advice.

This -> "Get more control over your food choices and your relationship with food?" and tighten up the paleo diet i've been eating to get rid of the dairy and creeping bits of sugar that sneak in with seasonings and such.

Ahhh you are describing my journey, too! :)

Archived